Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    the 'compe' in 'Compe Anansi'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the 'compe' in 'Compe Anansi'
 Login/Join

posted
So, anyone can tell me what does the word mean?

I tried babelfish, but got nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if it simply meant spider in some language I don't recognize; but I might be wrong.

===
A friend of everyone, except the times when not.

Posts: 8 | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nuitari
posted Hide Post
a simple google search for compe anansi would have told you it means "companion".

Posts: 11 | Location: Utrecht, Netherlands | Registered: November 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, compe is short for companion, but that's kinda like directly translating tovarische as "comrade" without understand the social and cultural implications.

Notice that it was Lion, Elephant and others of that ilk that referred to Anansi as Compe Anansi. They were claiming him as an equal -- one of their own.

The cultural traditions that refer to or address the God as Compe Anansi feel a very familiar sort of brotherhood and intimacy with the trickster god.

Yes, I know I have a boy's name. I'm still a girl.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anansi used to be known as (and is still known as on a lot of Carribbean islands) as Baba Nanci; literally Father Spider....this is perhaps why Neil makes a point of always describing him as an old man, used as an honourific for the elderly in africa, as much as it was not so long ago in europe (father i mean)..it'd maybe be Old Man Spider now?

Posts: 12 | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i believe it's a creole dialect for father

Posts: 173 | Location: sun-room | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post