Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    Has anyone ever had a "lime" experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone ever had a "lime" experience?
 Login/Join

posted
"You are the one with the lime?"
Has anyone had an experience like Fat Charlie?
Please share.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
Actually I have... In our speech class we had a debate. And, I was one of the people who sorta argue the point. anyway, the day afterwords a bunch of teachers, some I didn't know came up to me and kept saying "Hey I heard you did good in the debate" I was just like... yeah, sure... Sorta like how people would say "You're the one with the lime!"

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
does this count? when royko saw me in the elevator (and i didn't know he was royko) and he asked "are you the llama girl?" and i thot my god. how do complete strangers know that i'm a llama?!!

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's like an Oreo cookie, only not
Picture of Chiaroscuro
posted Hide Post
I do a lot. It may be because I have a crappy memory for people/faces/names.

See, I go to an art school. I only take night classes (cuz I work) AND I have taken two years off. But I will be walking down the street, and people will yell my name, and wave. (My name isn't a terribly common one) I will show up at school, and complete strangers know me. No clue why or how. Like I said, it's most likely my crappy memory, but people recignize me. Confused

------------------------------
Boil up some Mt. Dew, it's gunna be a long night.
DeviantArt
Blog

Posts: 776 | Location: The black hole known as Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Heehee, I remember one New Year's Eve I was spending with family and friends in a village at the mountains. The apartment is on the edge of the village, so there's just a hotel on one side and fields on the other.
After midnight, we had our traditional New Year's Eve Fireworks. After tha, my sister, another girl and me went to the pubs, only we stopped at the kids swings for a wile coz it was fun, and dark and creepy.
When we arrived at the pub, we started meeting (for the first time) loads of local guys, and every time (and for the rest of the night) they'd go "Oh, you're the ones with the fireworks!" or "So you're the ones who were at the swings!" It was weird coz we thought we were out of sight of everyone, but apparently, it is a very small viallge Big Grin

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caranathradien
posted Hide Post
Not so much an experience, but I do handle limes on a regular basis!
I suppose my closest would be this. I recently took part in a play at a university across from mine. Mine is Liverpool, the other one is Liverpool Hope. So my face is seen regularly in both places. And now when I wander through town or the supermarket alot more people smile at me or wave, etc. So it seems I know lots more people except I know nobody's name and they don't know mine.

Mal: "But she does have an oddness to her. And I ain't just talking about her proficiency with firearms. Girl knows things. Things she shouldn't. Things she couldn't."

Jayne: "Wha-...are you-are you sayin' she's a witch?"

Wash: (sarcastically) "Yes, Jayne. She's a witch. She has had congress with the beast."

Jayne: "She's in Congress?"

Wash: (amazed) "How did your brain even learn human speech? I'm just so curious."

Posts: 2 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never experienced it personally, but I heard that I am "The short girl with the heels who's always drunk." I don't know how I feel about that... :-)

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of parsival
posted Hide Post
I had a lime experience with Neil. From Neil's Journal Monday 5 December 2005
quote:
Hi Neil,
How did you achieve that really cool effect with the blue eyes in the photo you posted in your blog?
Cheers,
Michael
p.s. I just finished Anansi Boys today and I really enjoyed it. Oh, and thanks for the lime. You gave it to my wife, Kat, at the Manchester signing. We've still got it and are contemplating how to preserve it.

It's an accident, but a cool one, and was only in that photo. The glasses have a slight blue tint to them anyway, but I'm facing the snow, and they're bluishly reflecting back snow, branches and a photographer in such a way as to look like eyes -- the "pupil" is reflected legs...

Hi Neil

I have looked in many places but can find no answer to the quesion "What was the lime for on your desk at the Manchester signing?" I meant to ask at the time but blurted out something tedious instead.
These are the little things that eat away at my fruitless days, any hope of an answer?
cheers
Rebecca

If the message before yours is to be believed, it was for Kat.

Here's the photo of me, Kat, Neil and the Lime.

The signing took place before either Kat and I had read Anansi Boys, so we were both wondering why he had the lime. The signing took place on his birthday, so like a good little fan boy and fan girl, we gave Neil a couple of gifts. He gratefully accepted them, then said "Here, have a lime," which we gratefully accepted, with some confusion. We didn't ask, and didn't get it until we read Anansi Boys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parsival,

Cheers,
Parsival
--
"Follow Your Bliss!"

Posts: 144 | Location: Leeds, UK | Registered: July 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of suddendeathbyfangirl
posted Hide Post
yes actually, i was on this island in the hebrides (north scotland) and i got stung by a bee. i went to the store fifteen minutes later and then the shop assistant said 'oh, you're the one who got stung by the bee' and it was the same at the hotel and resteraunt.

because there's not enough time for me to fangirl over everyone in the world...

Posts: 10 | Location: Glasgow, but I'm in St Andrews (the non-anansi related one) every second weekend | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a Bond villain
Picture of stardream
posted Hide Post
Yes... when i started dating my boyfriend (you know, the one i don't ever shut up about?) well, it happened in one class, and then in my very next class I was getting these huge congatulations, and I was all like... What? And everyone was all about how we hooked up. For the next week we were refered to as "the one who's going out with _______".
I'm not sure that that counts, but the whole recognition within minutes that lasts for a while made me consider it.

Posts: 60 | Location: Right Here. | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sanethic
posted Hide Post
Actually, though not because of some object or an event, I was recognized because of my, previously, long hair at a new school I went to. One way or another, I seemed to be very well like by my peers from middle school and word of mouth made it so when I moved to this new school with a lot of my old friends, many a stranger knew me by my last name or 'hey so you're the guy with the nice hair?' Although by now it isn't long anymore, but still, they knew by that.

There was also the time, in a San Antonio mall, where I accidentally tripped over something in my way, can't remember what, and into a large cart - the kind where they sell things off of, this one sold toys - and then just walked away very quickly. I couldn't approach another cart without being teased, 'you're not going to fall on mine, are ya?' or somehting to that effect.

Posts: 3 | Location: sittin' the days away, whittling no stick | Registered: December 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fluffyllama:
does this count? when royko saw me in the elevator (and i didn't know he was royko) and he asked "are you the llama girl?" and i thot my god. how do complete strangers know that i'm a llama?!!

that is hillarious.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its sad but true. my friend elana discovered an interesting fact about me. I...(tear).. I (gulp).. I HAVE BABY CHEEKS!!!!! its true, their cute and pinchable. soon after this i met up with jamie after school and he introduced me to some new people who took one look at me and said "oh yeah the girl with the cheeks" *pinch*

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sort of, although not nearly so hard to understand.

I work for a large international banking concern and I have a fondness for wearing kilts. I get a lot of "So, where's the kilt?", from complete and total strangers.

That and "hey, what family is that?", this last one is a trifle odd given that I was wearing a Utilikilt and it was black . . .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Escherblacksmith,

Am trying to instill the word "gruntled" into daily conversations.

Posts: 2 | Location: Twin Cities (Betwixt to be specific), MN | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awatkins
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've quite literally had a "lime" experience.

Back in the summer of 98 I spent a month in Knockpatrick, Jamaica doing a bit of construction work for a school down there. I'd get up and start work every morning round about five oclock and work till eleven when I stopped for lunch and siesta. I'd stroll down into the market to grab some lunch but early on decided I would try one new food every day.

So after a week of eating pasties, pepperpot and curry for lunch I just wanted something sweet and juicy. I bought a soursop and sat down to enjoy my meal. That whole week I bought some strange fruit or another with my lunch and ate them sitting under a mango tree.

Towards the end of my second week, one of my fruit guys gives me a whole bunch of guineps (think something the size of a banana bunch or huge grape bunch of golf ball sized fruits, roughly 3ft dia tapering down over four feet) for me and the other guys back at the school, no charge.

Needless to say he bought both my business and that of my friends with his generosity (I later learned he had a daughter in the school so he appreciated me as much as I did him), but I was forever known as "Nippy" in town. It seems that a white boy walking five miles up the mountain with a bunch of guineps on his back is an image that stick with you.

Yes, I have been named after a fruit while on a tropical island in the caribbean. If that's not a lime experience I don't know what is.

Posts: 16 | Registered: June 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
That is a great story! Big Grin

Oh, and welcome to the board!

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kits'nagi
posted Hide Post
A tad bit embarrassing this, but here goes.

I was vacationing in Belize and was off the coast in one of the many little Caye islands, when I found myself stung soundly on my hand by a sea urchin.
It just so happened that the week before we were talking to some people in Placentia (or as I like to refer to it, the most perfect town ever!) that boiled water with vinegar and salt does the trick of removing and soothing the stings of a sea urchin much better than the more hilarious method of peeing on the affected area (ammonia removes stingers and neutralizes neurotoxins).
After the sting I went from house to house asking kindly for vinegar. I was willing to barter virtually anything, even a badly mocked up sand dance, but all the locals continued to tell me just to pee on it. Finally, our hotel manager also informed me that I must pee on it and I knew my final recourse was to do the unthinkable. I must say it was more uncomfortable a thing to do than I imagined it would be-primarily because you can't wash your hands afterwards. The post-operation procedure seemed to be milling around looking mildly uncomfortable, smelling rather awful, and not knowing what to do with my hand.
The next day I was asked repeatedly if I had peed on my hand, and I bashfully replied the affirmative. From then on I was known as the pee girl, or hey pee girl, etc.
The real kicker, though, is that I noticed the following days that most everyone I had asked had vinegar in their homes, as I had dinner with many of the delighted people who would pour the rum and wink knowingly before inserting a pee girl comment. I believe that someday on my epitaph it will read:
Roxanne
Beloved daughter, geek, and pee-girl

"To name something is to wait for it in the place you think it will pass." - Amiri Baraka

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kits'nagi:
A tad bit embarrassing this, but here goes.

I was vacationing in Belize and was off the coast in one of the many little Caye islands, when I found myself stung soundly on my hand by a sea urchin.
It just so happened that the week before we were talking to some people in Placentia (or as I like to refer to it, the most perfect town ever!) that boiled water with vinegar and salt does the trick of removing and soothing the stings of a sea urchin much better than the more hilarious method of peeing on the affected area (ammonia removes stingers and neutralizes neurotoxins).
After the sting I went from house to house asking kindly for vinegar. I was willing to barter virtually anything, even a badly mocked up sand dance, but all the locals continued to tell me just to pee on it. Finally, our hotel manager also informed me that I must pee on it and I knew my final recourse was to do the unthinkable. I must say it was more uncomfortable a thing to do than I imagined it would be-primarily because you can't wash your hands afterwards. The post-operation procedure seemed to be milling around looking mildly uncomfortable, smelling rather awful, and not knowing what to do with my hand.
The next day I was asked repeatedly if I had peed on my hand, and I bashfully replied the affirmative. From then on I was known as the pee girl, or hey pee girl, etc.
The real kicker, though, is that I noticed the following days that most everyone I had asked had vinegar in their homes, as I had dinner with many of the delighted people who would pour the rum and wink knowingly before inserting a pee girl comment. I believe that someday on my epitaph it will read:
Roxanne
Beloved daughter, geek, and pee-girl

Somebody else who knows Placencia! I call it the Home Of My Heart. Smile

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24398 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kits'nagi
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, another Placencia fan! I will never forget the homemade hooch Ms. Brenda poured for me while she braided my hair...although events after that hooch are fuzzy Smile

"To name something is to wait for it in the place you think it will pass." - Amiri Baraka

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post