Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    real thing or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

real thing or not?
 Login/Join

Picture of Wyman
posted
While in Krakow, Poland a few weeks ago I stopped at the Galicia Jewish Museum. While looking through their bookshop, I found on the shelves the Anansi Boys limited edition printed by Hill House. It is in a black slipcase with a wooden spider medallion on the cover. It says limited to 750 signed and numbered copies and 52 signed and lettered copies.

The one I picked has neither number or letter. It does appear to be signed by Neil Gaiman and Dagmara Matuszak. However, it is hard to tell if Gaiman's signature is for real. It is in what appears to be blue marker. Matuszak's signature is in blue pen.

The book says it was printed by Off-Print in Krakow, Poland and that Hill House is the publisher. I bought the book for a new library being created here in Lithuania. It will be called the Vilnius Jewish Library. I am working with the Vilna Gaon Jewish Museum.

What I am wondering is what did I buy? I looked online after buying the book and it says that there was supposed to be a copy of "Notebooks" and a copy of a chapbook as well. I received neither one when I purchased Anansi Boys. I spent more for this one book than I have for any other book going into the Jewish library. Since I have purchased over 4,000 books that is really saying something. Anyone know what the deal is with this book?

Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.
Horace Mann

Posts: 5 | Location: Vilnius, Lithuania | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
It seems you already know most of the information on the book.
Hill House Publishers were to have published a series of deluxe "author's preferred" editions of Neil Gaiman's novels. In 2003, they released an edition of American Gods (with the same limitation as your copy of Anansi Boys: 750 numbered plus some lettered). That novel included deleted text reinserted into the novel that wasn't available with the normal bookstore editions. The publisher began work on a special edition of Neverwhere, gathering various supplemental material and making a definitive text for the book which previously had had some slight variations between US and UK editions. The revised text has since been used in this 2005 British bookstore edition, but the Hill House edition has yet to come out. When Neverwhere was initially solicited by Hill House, they took preorders and collected money for it, but in the intervening years since then, they've mostly been out of contact with their customers. During this time of limited reliability in regards to any correspondence, they solicited their third book in the Author's Preferred series, Anansi Boys.

Here's what you have:

Anansi Boys came in two slipcases. The book came in one slipcase, then a second slipcase held the first slipcase along with the slim 'Notebooks' volume. I maintain a bibliography of Neil's works, here's my listing for the set: http://www.neilgaimanbibliogra...lhouse-numbered.html
The slipcase you describe is the inner slipcase, the one that holds the actual book Anansi Boys. The signatures you describe match my copy of the book, I believe they are real. When Neil signed the signature pages, they were not yet bound in the books. The publisher would have sent extra copies of the pages for him to sign in case any were spoiled (crumpled, ink spills, whatever). Some of these spare copies would be bound in books as well with only 750 being numbered. The spare copies are often labeld "PC" on the number line for "Publisher's Copy" or are sometimes left blank. As you are so close to where the book was published, your copy was probably kept by the printer for whatever reason instead of being sent on to Hill House. As such, it was never numbered and was never joined with the outer slipcase and is not considered part of the 750 numbered run.

You may want to contact the publisher to see if they have spare copies of the Notebook & Slipcase, but as I mentioned, in recent years they have not been very good at replying to emails.

I hope what I said has been clear and helpful

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wyman
posted Hide Post
Thank you so very much. Yes, your answer is both very clear and helpful. What a shame that I paid so much and did not receive everything which belonged with the set. All of the money to create the Vilnius Jewish Library is coming out of my own pocket. It cost me around 5,000 dollars just to ship the books from the USA to Lithuania. The first shipment of 165 boxes will be arriving on the 20th of this month.

The effort to help revive Jewish culture in the Jerusalem of Lithuania is something I have worked on starting in 2004. Today an order was signed to purchase furniture for the library. The library should be up and running in a couple of months. I had already purchased the mass market hardcover of Anansi Boys but could not resist when I saw the limited edition.

Mister Gaiman is an incredible writer and I like the idea of having limited editions or at least signed copies of all his works. Maybe one day if I strike it rich. Miracles can happen, can't they?

Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.
Horace Mann

Posts: 5 | Location: Vilnius, Lithuania | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post