Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    What was the president thing all about?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was the president thing all about?
 Login/Join

Picture of Handlebrew
posted
Foirgive me if I'm being thick, but I rushed to complete the book on a flight back from Zurich, so I may have missed the point...

However, I still can't figure out why Anansi tricked Fat Charlie into dressing as a president. I realise that Charlie industroiusly researched the Presidents, which gave him a lot of knowledge, but that would only benefit him if he were in a quiz.

So why presidents? Why not national cheese day, or Baseball day, or fish day?

Any insights, theories or comments?

Posts: 1 | Location: Cornwall, United Kingdon | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished the book (all of 5 minutes ago) so I may just be pulling straws, but I took the whole presidents things just like the green fedora – I think Charlie's dad was trying to teach him that wearing the clothes was all a matter of attitude.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half the man he used to be
posted Hide Post
it was a scene showing anansi's sense of humor at the expense of fat charlie....the presidents day thing worked as a joke because of the mental picture of some poor kid showing up at school dressed in old fashioned clothes etc

Posts: 411 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree with elise. guess it was just a matter of attitude to wear stuff. especially a president's outfit. Smile)

Posts: 5 | Registered: February 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
anansi is a trickster god. The presidents day thing was both a joke and his son learned a lot.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post