Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    Cast for Anansi Boys
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast for Anansi Boys
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
why don't we get Mos Def to play both brothers, Adaptation style?

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
It would work for parts, but seeing as they are described repeatedly as looking nothing like one annother, it wouldn't fly for the whole movie. It WOULD work for the parts where people think that Spider is Fat Charlie, though.

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3120 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they could just bung a goatee on Spider Razz

or maybe someone needs to make a call to a couple of the Wayans brothers...

Picture of tankgrrl29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Honey:
how about Chris Rock for Spider!? sorry, I was watching Jay and Silent Bob last night. I love Chris Rock. Especially in Dogma. Great movie.

how about just having the whole movie be a View Askew production with kevin smith as fat charlie, and jason mewes as spider...salma hayek as daisy, alanis as rosie (or maybe she can be the bird woman - that would be kinda cool), george carlin can play anansi...ben affleck's a little more smarmy than matt damon, so he could play graham. hmmm...sounds like fun!

Posts: 6 | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haha that would be awesome. i love dogma, it's so great. and the cast is so good. but what about jay and silent bob? who could they be?

Posts: 17 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Honey:
but what about jay and silent bob? who could they be?

they were given the lead roles, silly.

posted Hide Post
I'm not 100% sure that Ricky Gervais has the menace that he'd need for the scenes in the basement. A smaller part, though: Carol, Daisy's flatmate should definitely be played by a friend of mine, one Samantha Hearn. You can check her picture at csmanagementuk.com, and she's actually from Preston (or near as dammit). And if there's a part for me I'd like that too. But I can't think of one no matter how hard I try...

Posts: 1 | Location: London | Registered: November 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The KendrACK!
posted Hide Post
Mos Def would be perfect for Spider! I love that man...

Morgan Freeman as Anansi, though? ehh...He isnt fat enough, or crazy enough. Just imagine Mr. Freeman dancing wildly at a karaoke bar, thrusting his pelvis at young ladies! Haha!

-----

Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.

Ranting and raving: http://www.livejournal.com/users/the_shadows_lie

Posts: 2 | Location: The Evergreen State College | Registered: November 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Iachos
posted Hide Post
Wonderful suggestions by the by, I actually pictured Mos Def as Spider while reading AB thanks to the Hitchhickers Guide movie. But, and I never start sentences with but, why has no one suggested Craig Charles as Anansi or hell even Spider. Although if we are going to use the cast of Red Dwarf, Danny John-Jules would be a fantastic Spider as well.

"In the beginning, there was stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. Really you wouldn't beleive the incredibly huge amount of stuff there was just lying about. In the middle the stuff moved around quite a bit, and by the end the stuff just wasn't as cool as it once was." Iachos

Posts: 5 | Registered: November 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novelist Phoenix:
It would work for parts, but seeing as they are described repeatedly as looking nothing like one annother, it wouldn't fly for the whole movie. It WOULD work for the parts where people think that Spider is Fat Charlie, though.

See the movie Suture with two brothers who are described as identical.

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie: Taye Diggs
Spider: Denzel Washington (they do sort of look alike--an innnate sweetness)
Anansi: tho' dead, Sammy Davis Jr. had the ideal snappy, tricksy, flirtatious love of life... Don Cheadle could probably pull it off too.
Rosie: Wanda Sykes (or okay, Halle Berry--but probly too pretty)
Daisie (notice how the women are named after flowers?): I echo Salma Hayek (sp?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jazzcat:
Charlie: Taye Diggs
Spider: Denzel Washington (they do sort of look alike--an innnate sweetness)
Anansi: tho' dead, Sammy Davis Jr. had the ideal snappy, tricksy, flirtatious love of life... Don Cheadle could probably pull it off too.
Rosie: Wanda Sykes (or okay, Halle Berry--but probly too pretty)
Daisie (notice how the women are named after flowers?): I echo Salma Hayek (sp?)

that's an awesome cast. i wouldn't change a single one.

Posts: 17 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scourge of the Lower East Side
Picture of Nel Gurgle
posted Hide Post

This is what I pictured Spider to look like...Lou Bega

----------------------------
Official Pineapple Master General of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination

He said 'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it....

Posts: 14738 | Location: 'burbs of Chicago | Registered: September 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Denzel as Charlie, because he can play Charlie before and after the hat passes from father to son.

Lawrence Fishburn as Spider.

Edgar Bergen as the long-dead ventriloquist! AND DON'T TELL ME THERE'S NO VENTRILOQUIST, LONG DEAD OR OTHERWISE, IN THE BOOK! I KNOW THAT! But maybe, just MAYBE... there SHOULD have been. Too much emphasis is placed in the modern world on dead lawyers and dead mimes. Howz about we swing some dead ventriloquists up in this shindig?

Shin dig. Gotta fond out where that comes from. Bet it's got something to do with gave robbing.

Sorta like "bone to pick with you". But we'll talk about that some other time. I have to fly to Brazil now and pick up a guy named Lionel Jeffries - HAW, and BOY ARE MY ARMS GONNA BE TIRED.

Ok, so, bye.

Posts: 2 | Location: Omniverse Coordinates E7, Abraxis Rho Multiverse Strata (when I'm at home) | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
"Shindig" comes from the Scottish word "shindy." Exactly where THAT word comes from is somewhat up for grabs, although it likely refers to a particularly violent Scottish sport. From there, it migrated into referring to a barfight or disorganized brawl, transitioning into the familiar "shindig." Some time after that it came to refer to a particularly boisterous social gathering ('round about 1870 - and, as my wife reminds me, is similar to a hootenanny), a meaning that's remained more or less constant.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Oh, I thought Joss Whedon made it up.

Mighty find Shindig!

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
"A whole lot of hoot with just a little bit of nanny."

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
I knew I remembered this show. Big Grin

Bobby Sherman anyone?
Razz

I am soooooo old Big Grin

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way Neil portrays Anansi, I always picture the late Nipsey Russell, a fixture on game shows when I was a kid. (Coincidentally I was born on the same day as Neil Gaiman so, yeah, I'm a geezer. Smile ) Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje would be a wonderful Tiger. He's kind of the go-to guy for 'menacing African' roles, a wonderful actor, though. I'm happy to see him on Lost.

The real reason I joined & chose this topic for my first post -- Fat Charlie's singing voice! Charlie's voice needs to be a big, round, crooner's voice, maybe a little old-fashioned. An "American Idol"-type warbler would be wrong, as would most current pop singers.

Unfortunately the most absolutely perfect person for this, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, died nine years ago. His version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was used in several movies, including 50 First Dates, so many of you may have heard him. Iz had this otherworldliness that no one else could duplicate.

Raul Malo is the only other name that comes to mind. He's the lead singer for The Mavericks, which you'll find in the Country bin at the music store, but he's not one of those interchangeable great-big-hat-wearin' yowlers. (That band's more like what you might call "Texas Music", sort of like what Doug Sahm used to do.) Malo's got this big, gorgeous voice. You can hear a little Roy Orbison influence -- he can bring up that curl-your-toes otherworldliness that Orbison had, if he wants, though his voice isn't as idiosyncratic. He can really change his voice drastically to fit any song. I can't think of any other living singer who'd be as good for this... (Maybe you can? I'd love to hear other opinions)

Chris

Posts: 2 | Location: Milwaukee WI | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woo! Thanks for the tip; I remember the Mavericks' shivery cool cowboy tunes from...8 yrs ago? Will have to go look them up.

Kama...sang that song earlier in one of my all-time favorites: Lilo & Stitch!!!
The flick is right at the top with Babe the Gallant Pig (and okay, Pulp Fiction) in its world-affirming theme, suberb character development, interesting & meaningful subplots, delightful little moments (such as the dance teacher asking Lilo why she has to feed the fish named Pudge a PB sandwich each Tuesday: "Pudge controls the weather." [She was late b/c they ran out of PB & only had tuna: "Do you know what TUNA is?"]). Rent this movie if you haven't already seen it--and watch thru the credits at the end...But I digress.

I think Iz' voice would be perfect--as would Geoffrey Holder's. The Caribbean Uncola guy (I show my age), 7 ft tall, deep baritone, great world-encompassing laugh--was also in a Bond film, the one with the voodoo stuff. He was painted like a skeleton.

The shindig twister makes me so glad we don't have those rocket-cone boobs anymore... And Bbby Sherman's lapels could put someone's eye out. But we're recycling backwards in time, fashion-wise, so these very looks could well appear on a runway near you in the future.

Never watched Hootenanny--folk music was so SQUARE...

(We ain't OLD! The Stones is old. Keef is already resurrected from the daid. We's just RIPE.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jazzcat,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post