Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    Cast for Anansi Boys
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast for Anansi Boys
 Login/Join

the firebreather beneath the clover
Picture of fawn
posted Hide Post
I imagine Dick Halloran from The Shining as Mr. Nancy and for some reason completely picture Eve Myles (from Torchwood) as Daisy...

"Even mollusks have weddings, though solemn and leaden
But you dirge for the dead, take no jam on your bread
Just a supper of salt and a waltz through your empty bed"---Joanna Newsom

Posts: 171 | Location: San Clemente, Ca | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pierrot
posted Hide Post
Just a little question. I am truly really kinda stupid. I am on some 200th page of the book, and I have just realized all the main characters are black. Of course! Anansi is an African god. I am such an idiot. I had my doubts about Mrs Higgler because of her use of tenses; and then that flatmate Carol being described as a "white woman"...And finally the Lion man having "darker skin than Charlie" made me go on the net and look up Eartha Kitt, and she was black. What an idiot I am.
So the question is this: apart from Mrs Higglers use of tenses, are there any other signs in the main characters speech of them being black? (Im not a native speaker, so I really cant tell)Or is there really no distinction as far as the British go?
You wont believe it, I also had problems with De Carabas, for a long time I thought he was swarthy, like a Romanian, and then his "black hand" was mentioned. I had to look up the BBC series.
Its funny how perception works: you expect Gaiman to write about white people and Toni Morrison about black people. Again, Im such an idiot.

Posts: 6 | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of literally, rosary the good war that fell
posted Hide Post
Hi Fawn,

I remember that line about the Marquis' black hand - but for some reason, I imagined it black from dried blood, dirt, etc. I suppose in my mind, I think of the Marquis as a very dark Sicilian man with his old school ways...I hope the movie will portray him as an aging old school mafioso with all his powers and old school charm...I think the other reason why I assume the Marquis was a latin type is because Carrabas is an Italian restaurant chain in the US.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: literally, rosary the good war that fell,

Posts: 5 | Location: US | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pierrot
posted Hide Post
No, I really dont think so, cause the BBC series actually preceded the novel(Neverwhere), and the actor was definately of African origin:-))

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pierrot,

Posts: 6 | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beyond_Indigo
posted Hide Post
Oh my...I have to ask, is this topic pure speculation, or is there actual talk of an Anansi Boys film? If they bring out a film, I can die happy, I swear. I always thought the book was so cinematic somehow. I had perfect images in my head for almost each and every scene.

About the race of the main characters. Mrs Higgler and the other ladies all talk in Carribbean dialect. Fat Charlie, being sort of American/English obviously has no noticable dialect (by that I mean a dialect different from a white British person)...but we can gather from his parentage (Anansi being from the Carribbean of course, and Fat Charlie's mum being from...darn, I forget where, but it's a Carribbean island isn't it? Where she died peacefully in her sleep after Anansi caused havoc on the cancer ward?) that he's almost certainly black. Which sort of infers that Spider is black too, for obvious reasons ^_^

I also always thought of Rosie as black. Although I don't remember if this is mentioned anywhere.

BTW, just as an NB to those of you volunteering blonde white chicks for Daisy...isn't daisy half Chinese and half...um...was it Ethiopian? Weren't one side of her family carpet traders or something?

If I could lay my hands on my copy of Anansi Boys it would help greatly, but it's 4 in the morning and after re-reading it recently it has apparently now been eaten by the same entity that keeps devouring every left sock in every pair...

My point is, I'm pretty sure Daisy's not white.

Hi, by the way. Am a n00b. Smile

Posts: 4 | Location: York, UK | Registered: December 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phool:
You know, I never saw Morgan Freeman as Anansi. He's too big, and tends to play things a little too somber. I always pictured someone more like the cool old black guy from the Shining and the Twilight Zone movie, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. Is he still alive?

The Scatman? (also the voice of Hong Kong Fuey) is no longer among us, sadly.

Posts: 34 | Registered: September 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neil does mention Lenny Henry as Fat charlie but i do think lenny himself is too old now (perhaps, as fat Charlie is in his 30's i Guess and Lenny is close to 50 (or more, correct me if I'm wrong....and dawn french would have to be in it!! Lol)

I'd love to see this on the screen though.....i like the suggestions for Mr Nancy though

Posts: 12 | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex Freeman
posted Hide Post
I definitely enjoyed the topic poster's cast. Here are some people I saw for it:

Charlie - Honestly stumped here...Cuba Gooding Junior? =P

Spider - Mos Def (Agreeing with topic poster here)
mos def

Anansi - I, unfortunately, can't remember his name or roles he's had...I think he has kind of a lazy eye, and obviously he's black. Darker black, normally bald from what I've seen...:/

Grahame Coats - Rhys Darby (Murray in Flight of the Conchords)
Rhys Darby

Daisy - Emilie de Ravin (Claire in Lost)
Emilie

Alex, please read our faq's, no hotlinking allowed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

_____

"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Posts: 334 | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didnt think daisy was white...wasn't there some passage about her mother being asian, or her father being black or something?

Mos def is amazing, but reading Neverwhere, I just kept saying to myself, Mos Def is totally the Marquis.

Rhys Darby totally.

Posts: 1 | Location: My local library | Registered: June 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex Freeman
posted Hide Post
Ah, maybe she was. I must've been out-to-lunch reading. =P

But Claire from Lost was the person I could best imagine. I do kinda think you're right though. I guess Rosario Dawson would do. I'm aware she's not exactly Asian, but she would owrk. Or she could be Rosie, I 'unno.

Rhys Darby totally has a spot for Coats, though. Smile

_____

"Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

Posts: 334 | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been so ate up about this for over a year after reading this book!

I just got back online again and something possessed me to seek out this board. When I read Anansi Boys I had someone in mind for Fat Charlie the entire time-Tunde Adebimpe from the band TV on the Radio. He was in a really good independent film called Jump Tomorrow and showed a great deal of strength and gravitas, while also being funny and warm. Need I say more?

I had originally thought of him playing both roles because of Jump Tomorrow and the whole "Now we Dance..." bit (watch the film and you'll understand) but at the beginning of this thread there was a mention of Chiwetel Ejiofor and now I think he should play Spider.

With the two of them being up-and-comers with good critical notices, decent funding and a good director would be easier to come by.

Posts: 1 | Location: ? | Registered: August 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kits'nagi
posted Hide Post
Daisy has a mother from Ethiopia and a father from Hong Kong, if god were kind Rihanna would be a fine actress, and play her.

Definite agreement with Mos Def, and Jeffrey Wright (I love him!)

Anansi I see as either Hinton Battle (great Broadway guy, played "Sweet" in Buffy musical) or Bill Cobbs. But I favor Bill, who is just about the nicest man in the world. He came into my work once, and all the ladies thought he was quite fly for an ol' fellow. The whole time I was reading, I thought of him dancing that sand dance...

"To name something is to wait for it in the place you think it will pass." - Amiri Baraka

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Mr Neil actually describes Anansi in the book:

"Maeve looked up. An elderly gentleman with a green hat and a pencil-thin moustache was offering her a tissue."

Then a little bit later:

"'A ghost,' he said. With his pencil moustache, he reminded her of Cab Calloway, perhaps, or Don Ameche, one of those stars who aged but never stopped being stars."

So, that's who I've always seen him.

But sadly, they are both dead. Who could look like them?

Lenny Henry for Fat Charlie definitely - He is perfect (and surely not too old yet?!)

Marianne Jean-Baptiste for Rosie
Thandie Newton for Daisy? Maybe? Oh, I don't know!

Don Cheadle would be great to pop in somewhere too? for someone?

Oh, I don't know - I get all into this and then someone at home wants something and I can't devote time to it! How frustrating!!

Later!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/...01/idris_elba_02.jpg
Idris Elba as Fat Charlie

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp...taye_diggs_photo.jpg
Taye Diggs as Spider

http://ivanrdee.files.wordpres...rgan_freeman_012.jpg
Morgan Freeman as Anansi

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ND92...arris+style+face.jpg
Naomi Harris as Rosie

http://gfx.filmweb.pl/p/25/59/52559/169174.1.jpg
Joy Bisco as Daisy

http://www.colonelscrypt.com/I...id/KeithDavidPic.jpg
Keith David as Tiger

http://marvelousgirl.files.wor...s-botox-charity1.jpg
Vanessa Williams as Bird Woman

Edited by Jim: Woah! Holy bandwidth hogs, Batman! Please consult the board's FAQs regarding the use of hotlinked images.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New to the Forum, but I when I read the book, I clearly saw Lenny Henry as Fat Charlie. Mos Def would be perfect for Spider. As for Anansi? I think Oliver Samuels, the actor that played Lenny Henry's father on Chef! would be perfect.

I kept seeing Rik Mayall as Graham. Daisy could be Freema Agyeman. As for Rosie, I'm a little stumped on that one, but I love the idea of Honor Blackman as either Rosie's mum or as Maeve.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen Lenny Henry put forward as a possible Fat charlie, but honestly I would have put him down to be a perfect Anansi. Completely unserious and up for fun.

Plus, having seen him on Good News Week not to long ago, he's waaaaaaay too old to play fat charlie now Frown

Posts: 7 | Registered: February 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Neil Gaiman is writing the film script as we speak. Who will be casting director? Who will say yes to roles? Finally we'll find out! I wonder how long it will be before it gets made.

I saw a comedian on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross the other day who I thought could be Spider - Reginald D Hunter. But I still think Fat Charlie should be Lenny Henry. I don't care how old he should be!

Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Elodie Yung as Daisy?

Posts: 116 | Registered: February 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm loving these suggestions! What about Idris Elba as Tiger, though? Keith David is a little too overtly scary, I think. I pictured Tiger as more cool and collected, but with the potential for violence. Also, I imagine him with a crisp English accent, which I don't think Adewale can do. He does look a bit like a big cat, though!

I was thinking Chiwetel for Charlie, but Adrian Lester is my current favorite. He's a bit gawkier, which is perfect. I've also never seen Chiwetel do comical.

As for the ladies, I'm not sure if this was explicitly described in the book, but Rosie seemed to be cute but plain (hence the sweetness of Spider choosing her, when he could have any woman), while Daisy was more classically pretty. Therefore, Sophie Okenedo as Rosie and Freema Agyeman as Daisy seem like the best suggestions so far.

Has anyone considered Peter Serafinowicz as Graham Coats? He might be a bit too physically intimidating, but he's amazingly good at slipping into characters, he can do any voice, and he presents a perfect mix of comical and despicable.

I love Mos Def, but in all his performances that I've seen, he has a sort of an endearing awkwardness, not like the debonair slickness I imagined for Spider. Also, he's such a popular celebrity (ditto for Jamie Foxx). I think D.B. Woodside might be a better choice, not as recognizable.

Lenny Henry is fantastic, but I think he's too old for Charlie, and I can't quite see him as Anansi. What about Narrator?

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Ha - I don't know who half these people are! I'll have to go googling Big Grin

Kurt Vonnegut