Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    What's *your* song
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's *your* song
 Login/Join

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted
I love the passage in Anansi Boys that talks about how everyone has a song. Here are some things we know about our songs:

1. Nobody else wrote it (so I can't use U2 or Springsteen -- bummer).

2. We don't usually get to sing it, for various reasons, so we live our song instead (but I probably have hummed it in the shower).

3. It has its own melody and its own words (but a title seems sufficient, since all we're given of Daisy's is "Evildoers Beware." After all, like Neil says, "The rest is details").

So, being inspired, I've taken it upon myself to figure out what my song is. Here's what I came up with.
"Coffee, Love, Writing (And Baby, The Order's Not Set)"

So, what's your song?

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tankgrrl29
posted Hide Post
interesting question! after going off to use the bathroom and pondering carefully, i'd have to say my song is "The Emperor Has no Clothes!" (or maybe along the lines of Daisy's song, "Hypocrites & Bullshitters Beware!" Big Grin )

~chris

Posts: 6 | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Iachos
posted Hide Post
Wow, hadn't really thought about it till now... Let's see, it goes something like this:

" Na na na na na na na na, Na na na na na na na na... JACKASS, JACKASS, JACKASS..."

Very disapointing indeed...

"In the beginning, there was stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. Really you wouldn't beleive the incredibly huge amount of stuff there was just lying about. In the middle the stuff moved around quite a bit, and by the end the stuff just wasn't as cool as it once was." Iachos

Posts: 5 | Registered: November 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To tell you the truth I wanna smell like fruit..

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
"Waiting in a dark room
Waiting for the light
Perhaps there could be a miracle
Will you find it for me?
I see darkness
I feel pain
Bring me a cure
Bring me anything"

I dunno.. something like that...

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've decided that I do not have a SONG but a SONNET, a petrachan sonnet. Tere are several reasons for this. Chiefly I'm better at righting them, secondly Italian dress better than the Brits, no offense intended just a matter of opion; and I can forget that the form provide for great explration of the turn of thought. but sonnet song it's all the same.

"Drinking is like,..the more you do it the better it is." Steve Crandle

Posts: 9 | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Talvallin
posted Hide Post
Damn,not allowed to use any Jeff Buckley or Tom Waits songs
I think mine would be "do it right" I was very fortunate to be employed at the age of 16 by a very old fashioned company,and my very old fashioned tradesmen taught me to take pride in my work.

Insert funny saying here

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of corvus_corax
posted Hide Post
"I been in Trouble with The Maaaaan,
Lord, I do the best I can,
he don't seem to understand, stand, stand,
I been in Trouble with The Maaaaaan."

That's my song, there are several more boring verses, it's blues-ey kinda thang...I made it up while stuck in a traffic jam, probably 10 years or more ago. I still sing it in the car.

Posts: 3 | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine's got no words--it's a slow E-minor blues with a sax and a glass slide...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe my song goes something like this: "Patience is a virtue (But be sure to not fall asleep in the waiting room)". Thanks for the inspiring question! Smile

Posts: 8 | Location: Germany | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ubiquity
posted Hide Post
"Protect the Weak, and Help the helpless, make everything good, while I struggle with my own baaaaaad"

Dunno, sumthing like that Big Grin

a very interesting question indeed...

Posts: 3 | Location: ubiquitous | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just watchin a dream that I never wake up from
And writin the jazz with a green felt tip pen
Drinkin the booze and doin the drugs
Eatin the mushrooms and fightin the thugs
I'm just an old-fashioned cowgirl livin this dream
And do what I can to at least make it seem
Alive

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's like an Oreo cookie, only not
Picture of Chiaroscuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Talvallin:
Damn,not allowed to use any Jeff Buckley or Tom Waits songs

Why can't you use Tom Waits of Jeff Buckley?
Smile

*Thinks*

Maybe "It's oh so Quiet" By Bjork? I think like a lot of people's, it changes all the time.

------------------------------
Boil up some Mt. Dew, it's gunna be a long night.
DeviantArt
Blog

Posts: 776 | Location: The black hole known as Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
In Anansi Boys, it says something along the lines that nobody else can sing your song, because you're the person who invented it, and therefore, it's written so only you can sing it (#1 at the top).

And welcome to the Board, Chiaroscuro. Smile

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caranathradien
posted Hide Post
Mine is like summer, it's sort of floaty, and I hum it. Whenever I do I can't help thinking of bees, and then honey. If it did have words, they might be like this.
I'm not confident
I'm not beautiful
I'm struggling through
But no one knows it
I'm hiding behind summer

Mal: "But she does have an oddness to her. And I ain't just talking about her proficiency with firearms. Girl knows things. Things she shouldn't. Things she couldn't."

Jayne: "Wha-...are you-are you sayin' she's a witch?"

Wash: (sarcastically) "Yes, Jayne. She's a witch. She has had congress with the beast."

Jayne: "She's in Congress?"

Wash: (amazed) "How did your brain even learn human speech? I'm just so curious."

Posts: 2 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ashes of Butterflies
posted Hide Post
Mine's probably in some ancient long-forgotten language that even I don't understand, but if it was possible for it to be translated, I think it would be something along the lines of:

Eccentricity
Naivete
Intelligence and Stupidity
I'm a contradiction within myself
I'm a contradiction within myseeelf...

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

Posts: 5 | Location: Jeffersonville, IN | Registered: April 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eredhel
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a contradiction within myself
I'm a contradiction within myseeelf...

I understand Wink
I have never had *my song*, but I think it'd hasn't got any word; it would be rather just like the first part of Keith Jarrett's "Koln Concert".

Posts: 12 | Registered: August 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the words, but the title is "I want to live in the sky" and it sounds like an acid folk song from England in the early 70s.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suite Madame Blue
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wake up with a song going through my head from a dream. I always curse myself for not studying music even a little, because the song is so perfect, a beautiful melody, and I want to write it down. It's different every time, and somehow familiar, as if each fragment is part of the whole. It's got to be my song that I'm dreaming. It goes something like this:

Never forget the importance of family,
Of creativity,
Of living.
Always remember love.

Member of the Spider Liberation Front (Free free, set them free)

Posts: 619 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lalaithriel
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Sometimes I find myself in the parking lot singing "do De Doo Doo...Where did I park?", but that's probably not My Song.

More like "Life is a great big Mouse Trap, but Sometimes I get the Cheese". It would be a blues/rock song, maybe sung by ZZ Top.

"My Life is spent in one long effort to escape the commonplaces of existence." - Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 8 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: October 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post