Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral Food
 Login/Join

posted
I grew up in the south and have attended a few southern funerals and Flordia is no exception to this rule. You are not likely to ever come across little old southern ladies eating anything cury, goat or cow's foot at a Post Funeral Lunch.

Traditional Southern Funeral Food,
Sweet Iced Tea
Lemonade (spiked if you are not Baptist)
Sweet Potato Pie (never refered to as Sweet potato pudding)
Sandwiches Assorted (chicken salad, pimento cheese and eggsalad are the standard)
BBQ pork, chicken, beef
bisquits with southern salted ham
Jello and marshmallow salad (usually pink or green)
sweet potato caserole with marshmallow topping
pigs ears, nose (snout), and feet
and last but not least
Fried Chicken ....everybody will bring their favorite.

This is the standard fair for rich or poor

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um. It's just a story. And I think it was just added to set the mood. To get an image and idea of the women. And it's a part of the womens' heritage, I guess. Frankly, reading that part, I was thinking of my Haitian friends' family. It's for -- atmosphere, I guess.

I'm Korean, does that mean I'm not allowed to eat rice after a funeral, in Florida?

Posts: 383 | Location: brooklyn | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Steampunk, there was a similar discussion after American Gods came out about... oh what was it... Popovers? Regional food and traditions. I find it interesting

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caution: Marry at own risk.
Picture of Maure
posted Hide Post
Also, if I was reading correctly, those women were by and large from the islands, who had settled finally in Florida. They do eat curry there, you know.

m

Posts: 1602 | Location: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by //steampunk:

I'm Korean, does that mean I'm not allowed to eat rice after a funeral, in Florida?[/color]

Why eat rice when there's Key Lime Pie to be found!

None of the funerals I've ever been to have had Sweet Potato Pie.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll eat anything. I'm a good reason to have around assuring there'll be no leftovers.

Posts: 383 | Location: brooklyn | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweet potato pudding

This garners 22 200 hits on Google. It's a traditional Caribbean dessert, apparently, and thus quite likely to be found at a meal served by islanders.

That and the manner of speech of the ladies should give the hint that they aren't your traditional Southern belles. Unlike a lot of American authors who like to smack the audience upside the head with the Negroness of their characters, Neil does tend towards the subtle implication than the blunt statement when it comes to race.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to mention that, as a person raised in the south, Florida is not considered "southern." It's off in its own little geriatric/tourist world.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Lily:
I grew up in the south and have attended a few southern funerals and Flordia is no exception to this rule. You are not likely to ever come across little old southern ladies eating anything cury, goat or cow's foot at a Post Funeral Lunch.

Traditional Southern Funeral Food,
Sweet Iced Tea
Lemonade (spiked if you are not Baptist)
Sweet Potato Pie (never refered to as Sweet potato pudding)
Sandwiches Assorted (chicken salad, pimento cheese and eggsalad are the standard)
BBQ pork, chicken, beef
bisquits with southern salted ham
Jello and marshmallow salad (usually pink or green)
sweet potato caserole with marshmallow topping
pigs ears, nose (snout), and feet
and last but not least
Fried Chicken ....everybody will bring their favorite.

This is the standard fair for rich or poor

But wait.....you forgot the Field Peas cooked to death with bacon and Okra, and Merita Brown and Serve Rolls brushed with butter....did you mention Potato Salad? That was in the scene.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The funeral food was typical Caribbean fare, cow heel soup, curry goat etc, and the old ladies were typical Caribbean old ladies weren't they - St. Andrews being a typical Caribbean island. Caribbeans tend to prefer to eat their own food even when living elsewhere..........

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geminii:
Caribbeans tend to prefer to eat their own food even when living elsewhere..........

I think this applies to any ethnia or nationality (says the girl with her own olive oil and own cocoa powder, brought over from Spain Big Grin).

I remembered going WTF!! hen I read about "curried goat". I couldn't really imagine Americans eating goat -but I trust Neil blindlessly in getting these details right, and as Dweller said, the speech of the ladies was pointing to another direction, so I waited to make my judgement.
(And as it happens, I now want to try curried goat badly. And everything else. Except cow's foot.)

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ashes of Butterflies
posted Hide Post
Well, my family is very, very southern, and I don't think I've ever seen anything resembling pig's feet (or snouts) at a funeral.

Another thing I've noticed: Does Gaiman have a thing for curry? In Neverwhere he makes a point of mentioning curry several times,and he does that in Anansi Boys as well. (This thinking might be just a result of reading Neverwhere and then Anansi Boys, one after the other)

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^

Posts: 5 | Location: Jeffersonville, IN | Registered: April 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Doesn't England have a thing for curry in general? I had some at an Indian restaraunt there once (my Brit. cousin told me it was only English hot) that made me lose taste for the rest of the night! Eek

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
Yup, Curry is hugely popular over here. I remember some stat (Probably from the OMG! Look at this Stat! University) that there are more Curry restaurants in Birmingham than in the whole of India. Best thing is nowdays actual Indian Cuisine is becoming popular too. Not just the ten pints and a vindaloo curry house experience anymore.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
now wants curry.

chinese or indian, i don't mind - but nothing with bleeding coconut in - that's eviler than pinapple on pizza!

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Heh. Birmingham is where I lost my sense of taste. Technically, it was a balti. I'll have to try it again some time. With another 10 pieces of flat bread...

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I am so not a huge fan of curry.

Carry on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
all the more for me then.

it's friday night
it's curry and wine night
a nice bhuna tonight i thinks.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
I like curried goat  

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Had curry last night -chicken and lamb. And garlic nan. And poppadoms. And rice.

yumyum.

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post