New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral Food
 Login/Join

Picture of HelloMyKi
posted Hide Post
I just moved here from FL and, knowing my fair share of little old black ladies, I've eaten a great deal of curried whatnot. I think it really depends on what your background is. Also, as many Floridians will tell you, Florida isn't really considered part of the "South." I mean to say that Florida doesn't have the same connotations as, let's say, Georgia or Tennesee (both places I have also lived).

Funny thing though... I just made curry last night (O_O)

Posts: 54 | Location: Denver, CO, US | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a Bond villain
Picture of stardream
posted Hide Post
Being southern myself, I have to agree with you. I can't really see old southern gls chowin' down on cury, but I did find the seance to be rather true to southern form- When something you need insn't there, try the next best thing... and pray it work instead of blowing up in your face! Razz

Posts: 60 | Location: Right Here. | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jaxwizz
posted Hide Post
Judging from the Wiccans I have known, I suspect that these substitutions are not typically southern, but more in the approach to magick that characterizes a lot of witches and a number of magicians. And it's not try the next best thing and pray that it works; it's use what you have and insist that it will work. It's all in the insistence.

As for "southern gals", it's "island girls" as a number of posters have already pointed out. This novel reeks of what is often called "Afro-Caribbean religion". These include Santeria, Candomble, and related faith derived from the beliefs of the Yoruba of Nigeria. Voudun (or Voodoo, for those who prefer the Hollywood version) is a close relative but is more influenced by the traditions of the Congo than of Nigeria.

The great thing about these traditions is that they give immediate and quite tangible results most of the time. And the "gods" of these faiths don't particularly care whether you believe in them or not; if they feel like intervening, they will without worrying about faith or worship. This can be seen as intervention or as meddling depending on one's attitude and on whether the subject resists the divine aid or accepts it gratefully.

Hint: It is always best to be properly grateful.

The gods of Anansi Boys, and of American Gods as well, are very good representations of the entertaining and often exciting games the Afro-Caribbean gods play with humans. Sometimes a bit more exciting than is really comfortable in fact.

Bob,
aka Adastra, the Wizzard of Jacksonville

Posts: 8 | Registered: December 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ashes of Butterflies:
Well, my family is very, very southern, and I don't think I've ever seen anything resembling pig's feet (or snouts) at a funeral.

Another thing I've noticed: Does Gaiman have a thing for curry? In Neverwhere he makes a point of mentioning curry several times,and he does that in Anansi Boys as well. (This thinking might be just a result of reading Neverwhere and then Anansi Boys, one after the other)

It's setting the traditions of the main characters yes; in England curry is the traditional night out food. The Old ladies in Anansi Boys ARE Carribbean and that food mentioned is, i assure you, typically Carribbean fare, I've eaten some of it (no salt fish patties and so forth but hey)...Rice and Peas, curry goat, etc etc.....not typical Southern fare but typicla fare for carribbeans wherever they are

Posts: 12 | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post