Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    Charlie's mom is a mermaid?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charlie's mom is a mermaid?
 Login/Join

posted
Did we know all along that Charlie's mom was a mermaid? If so, this means that I missed something which makes me a bit disappointed.

Hopefully this isn't an old question, I did find the lime thread before asking about it.

I found this link
http://neilgaimanboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/83410873521/m/37010637431

That is just about Charlie's dad fooling him while walking on the beach "...did you see the mermaid? opps you just missed it..." This however isn't a "your mom is also a mythological being."

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wondered how mermaids reproduce and give birth. I'd just sort of assumed they released eggs and milt into the water and the eggs fertilised and hatched themselves. That would explain why Charlie is such a great singer, though.

posted Hide Post
Male siren? That does explain the voice and actually makes me happy with my question at the same time.
We didn't know that mom was a mermaid, but it fits that she is a siren.

the firebreather beneath the clover
Picture of fawn
posted Hide Post
wait, what? I was up late reading, so maybe I missed something...but I didn't take it that she was Charlie's mom....did I miss something? I just thought the mermaid at the end showed that he was in touch with his magical side and could see the wonder around him and so could his son...

"Even mollusks have weddings, though solemn and leaden
But you dirge for the dead, take no jam on your bread
Just a supper of salt and a waltz through your empty bed"---Joanna Newsom

Posts: 171 | Location: San Clemente, Ca | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie's mom is not a mermaid. You need to reread the book.Charlie's mom died in the book.She was not the mermaid.

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm a little bit late to the party, but here's what I thought (and I'm going to re-read the book anyway):
Charlie's late Mom was a Siren, and it was maybe her spirit that came and hung out and sang with Charlie and his son.
Or, she was one of the many females that came into and out of Anansi's life before Charlie's mom came into the picture.
Anyway, it was a lovely, touching ending that made me smile.

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I sure didn't get that the mermaid at the end was Charlie's mom, rather a fantastical creature that he knew from his childhood, perhaps that Fat Charlie had forgotten about after being split in two, and that the fact that Charlie and his son could visit with her showed that they were back in touch with the bloodline. Or something like that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also don't think Charlie's mom is a mermaid. The two references (Charlie's computer password and the dream with his father where he doesn't see the mermaid) remind me of T.S. Eliot's poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock." Prufrock is an uptight, scared little guy who can't muster up the courage to ask his girlfriend to marry him. At the end of the poem, he hears the mermaids from his place on the beach, but feels they are not singing for him. It's one of the greatest poems ever written.

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post