Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Anansi Boys    Shakespeare, anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shakespeare, anyone?
 Login/Join

has been eaten by a grue.
Picture of Apathy
posted
I dunno if I'm just crazy...actually, that's a very good possibility, but we won't dwell on it. this story read like A Midsummer Night's Dream. which is intentional, I suppose, especially considering the Sandman story about the play.

did anybody else get that vibe? I kinda liked it, although it surprised me to no end.

~ fLame Woosh ~
Elite Special Force Procrastinator, trained in High Arts of Extended Coffee Breaks and
Master Linguist of the Water Cooler Conversation

Posts: 7134 | Location: the gloaming | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If memory serves (I gave my copy of the book away) Neil mentions in the front of the book that it is modeled on old school comedy, in the vein of Shakespeare and others.

Anansi Boys is very much that kind of comedy. With everyone getting married in the end, even.

Although I must admit I haven't read A Midsummer Night's Dream yet.

Posts: 17 | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wigber
Picture of Justy
posted Hide Post
A Midsummer Night's Dream can be extremely well-served by seeing a good production, if you get a chance, rather than reading it. The Shakespeare Theatre in DC has done some wondrous productions in the past.

Posts: 26 | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post