Find
Notify
Tools

Mirrormask
 Login/Join

is a Bond villain
Picture of stardream
posted
I loved it! it was really good and very new. When i started i expected something very coraline, but it wasn't at all! I really want to see the movie now. Has anyone? Is it any good? I should hope so!

>I did have one question though...
Did her dad remember the time spent with the other girl, or did it just wash away?

> sorry if it's a stupid question, but I couldn't figure it out, and it's really been eating me.

Posts: 60 | Location: Right Here. | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
I think the mother and father were versions of her real parents that existed in a sort of parallel world that belonged to Helena and their only link to the real ones was in her mind. I don't think either of them was aware of being in the other world. They were more like her representations of the real ones.

Just my understanding in fact.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chimeer,

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of devious_vixxen
posted Hide Post
i don't wanna put words in anyones mouth but i think star dream may have ben refering to the time that the dad spent with bad elane in the "real world"

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
Right. Time-wise though all this happened during one single night... I don't know if the girl had the time to do all that in the real world... So again, it probably had the same "reality" as the rest of it and the father doesn't remember. Or never lived it in the first place.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
As I remember it, when Elena comes back she's asleep on the roof, where she was right before everything started. So, she goes back to the moment she "disappeared", so she actually doesn't disappear at all.

I can't wait to be able to afford the DVD!!

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
Well yeah, she wakes up in the same place, but I think it was the next morning. The dream happens while her mom is being operated.

Picture of devious_vixxen
posted Hide Post
oh duh.. i never thought about it that way it had to be just overnight.. silly me..lol

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Trendy Nihilist
Picture of mtxx
posted Hide Post
Ill probably be selling my Mirrormask DVD and A Short Film about John Bolton DVD soon, or giving them away or something. Definitely not my kind of thing. Mirrormask looks more like a Playstation 2 game than a real movie.... I had to stop myself from picking up my PS2 controller all the time because it felt like those crappy lo budget movie sequences that are found between levels in PS2 games. It did not feel like the work of a real movie director.

- Michael

My boring blog: http://www.xanga.com/mtxx

"This is the spring without end / This is the summer of malcontent / This is the winter of your mind"

Posts: 13534 | Location: Denmark | Registered: June 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a Bond villain
Picture of stardream
posted Hide Post
Well Mtxx, i'm, sorry you didn't like it. If your going to give it away...

Thank you Guys for the help! I get it now, Cloverheart, you were right, about her falling asleep on the roof, and chimeer, you were right, i think it all happened while her mom was being operated on, and the look-a-like Helena wouldn't have time to do all that, and deviou_vixen, you were right about what part I was talking about. You guys are great! THank you sooooo much! Big Grin

Posts: 60 | Location: Right Here. | Registered: July 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mtxx:
Ill probably be selling my Mirrormask DVD and A Short Film about John Bolton DVD soon, or giving them away or something. Definitely not my kind of thing. Mirrormask looks more like a Playstation 2 game than a real movie.... I had to stop myself from picking up my PS2 controller all the time because it felt like those crappy lo budget movie sequences that are found between levels in PS2 games. It did not feel like the work of a real movie director.

Id take the john bolton dvd off your hands. I've never seen that.

I loved mirrormask.

The whole events were obviously a dream, the mom goes into surgery the night helena goes to the other world and then when she wakes up they get a call saying her mom did fine and shes okay.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was all a dream, though. I think more likely it DID happen, only at the end Helena finds the Mirrormask and she can revert the events.
(Or at least I want to think that way, coz I rally hate the "And it was all a dream" endings, and I think I read on Neil's blog that so doe she.)

Michael, I know the film was, technically, far from perfect. But I still found the visual beautiful, the story -even though the theme has already been epxlore din Coraline- was still engaging and, basically, I liked the look of it.

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sorta view what happened with the anti-Helena as what would have happened if Helena failed and her mother died. The actions of the evil princess would make sence for a young girl who just lost her mother.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotkehlchen
posted Hide Post
I thought it was an okay movie. Visually quite interesting, but i felt it lacked the originality of Neils other works...oh but i liked the girl who played Helena. Hope to see her in another movie.

---
Shazam!
I need staff (like in "people who take care of stuff for me")

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a Bond villain
Picture of stardream
posted Hide Post
That makes sense, that she dreampt it, and that it really did happen to her, but maybe her father just dreampt of the other Helena and her dirty deeds... Sorry if it make less than no sense, it's late, im exhausted...

Ya, I dig what your sayin, still, Mtxx if your giving it away...

Picture of wildhoney
posted Hide Post
i liked it because you can actually see the "neil" and "dave" parts in it. and although the main idea in the movie was too common it was one of the most interesting movies i've ever watched Smile

Posts: 32 | Location: Türkiye,Ankara | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cira
posted Hide Post
absolutely adore this film Smile

---
and me i am your dagger

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oestre sparagmos!
Picture of fionchadd
posted Hide Post
I just saw the film after getting it for christmas and really loved it. i can't wait to see stardust although information is scarce! is dave mckean involved with that aswell? i love his art, it really made mirrormask special.
but i agree that it wasn't all a dream-i think it's more a donnie darko-type thing-the destruction was happening in her world but she managed to not only stop it but make it never have happened. if that makes sense!

EP now available for FREE download! Click Here

"Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"

a peek inside the whirlwind of my thoughts

Posts: 10543 | Location: deepest darkest somerset | Registered: December 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
AMAZING work-- Dave McKean's mask-work is just perfect! It matches the environments which I feel were orchestrated for total immersion into that dreamlike place. (That 'PS2 reference' is short-sighted because the animation matches the handmade feel of the masks and the clay-mation feel matches the sepia-weathered look of the environment where the live characters walked. ---They had complete control of the entire production.) It wouldn't have been as effective if they'd gone HOLLYWOOD- with it. It's much more intimate this way.
I Loved it!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
The DVD version has a gritty sort of atmosphere
with a 'USED RUSTIC' sort of look to it that carries over well into the fantasy world to help create a stylistic overall feeling throughout the production. (Even the characters had the same sort of smudges somehow.)

I couldn't get a good feel of the audio book version being that our library loaned our copy out to a scratcher before I was able to grab it.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wyman
posted Hide Post
I just bought Mirrormask on DVD for the collection of the Vilnius Jewish Library here in Lithuania. I was in a shop selling DVDs and there were 4 copies of Mirrormask available. I picked up the first and it was only in Russian which does me no good. The second was also in Russian. The third was in English and I became a very happy librarian. The fourth was in Russian so I also became a very lucky librarian. Now if only Neil knew how much I wish he would visit Lithuania to help promote not just the library but also tolerance and understanding. If anyone has the right words, that person is most certainly Neil Gaiman.

Wyman Brent
shammes
Vilnius Jewish Library

Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.
Horace Mann

Posts: 5 | Location: Vilnius, Lithuania | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post