Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Mirrormask    a really useful book
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a really useful book
 Login/Join

the original crazy ratbastard
Picture of Lawerence McWhiskeyson
posted
I got my copy of a really useful book today. It's nice but the damn pen that's included is not working (I keep pulling it apart and changing batteries which were also included) and all I get is a dim light (and yes I've tried it in a dark room).
Is anyone else having problems?

"Witches. Flying monkeys. I's never goin' take PCP again."

Posts: 1109 | Location: Elk Grove Village,IL | Registered: July 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
ooh, i've gotta get one!
didn't know they were already being sold.
do you think they might swap you for a working pen back at the store whiskey?

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14237 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm having trouble with mine, as well.

I picked up mine at my local shop a couple days ago, and i've been fiddling with the pen since i got it, unable to make it give off ANY light whatsoever. Swapping out isn't really an option, as it's the only copy my local shop was getting - i asked them to get it for me specifically.

Very aggravating - I've checked the charge on the batteries, and they're all good, all eight of them (the ones in the pen and the extras) but i'm still getting nothing.

Great idea, i'm just sad it isn't functional Frown

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
damn i was thinking of getting one but if they dont work...

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
mine works...

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi. I'm sorry I've been away for about a week from the gaiman blog and now I have no idea what this "a really useful book" is. Confused Can someone please tell me the full detail of this book and where I can get one? FrownIt seems really interesting even though everyone seems to having trouble with the black light pen that comes with the kit. My email addy's winniedstitchwitch@yahoo.com Thank you. Smile

Posts: 2 | Location: Philippines | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
the really useful book is like a journal. It comes with a pen that writes in ink that can only be seen using the black light on the end of the pen. There are also little tidbits of advice in this invisible ink already in the book, written by neil. I never got my pen to work either, but I know who I'm going to bug about it soon, since he got his to work...

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A neat idea... but if they don't much work, it seems like a waste of cash...

I'll stick to the book I already carry, with it's pencil thanks...

Posts: 442 | Registered: August 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
From Neil's blog, Sunday, September 19th:
Dave McKean had the same complaint, and he wasn't the only one. I've been told that replacing the batteries in the pen normally fixes the problem -- the pens have somehow run down while waiting, and they do ship with a bunch of little replacement batteries.

But the people who seem happiest are the ones who've gone out and found black-light flashlights for themselves that work much better than the one the book came with.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is tired of these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane
Picture of general punk, MA
posted Hide Post
i think mine was turned on, on the flight home from chicago...the batteries died. i'm gonna find one of those wee UV flashlights i htink too.

High Ranking Official of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination,
Dean of the UUP, First Class member of the order of the Pineapple.
-scruffy ambulating reanimated hypothetical vegetarian leigonairre of the undead. ~ Cav
-Look, I've got a cape and a tendency towards violence. It does not make me a superhero! ~ Domitella
-The key thing to remember about historians is that we are entirely capable of being objective, empirical and batshit crazy. ~ Dr. Marvinmarymac

Posts: 29254 | Location: Somewhereshire | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post