Find
Notify
Tools

Mirrormask
 Login/Join

Village Elder
posted Hide Post
JP, have you watched the trailers? There are two. Check out mirrormask.com

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I tried to watch one, but my stoopid "highspeed" connection at work was NOT cooperating at all. The image was tiny, and I couldn't make out much in all the starts and stops. I'll try again from home. Have dial-up, but maybe at least it won't be so jittery, even if just as small on the screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
Heh. Just finally got on the Myazaki (sp?) bandwagon ... bought Spirited Away on Smaug's relentless (though well-meaning and well-guided and loving) pestering Smile

Big Grin

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20595 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mara@nvg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JP:
Ah, couldn't tell from the small images of the previews, and with McKean involved, wasn't sure.

Probably the coolest thing about MirrorMask, for me, is how utterly perfectly McKean-ish everything looked, right from the opening credits. After all those years of Sandman covers/graphic novels/other illustrations, there is something undeniably magical about seeing his images in motion.

Posts: 75 | Location: NJ/NY, USA | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I emailed my local art house theater. A very nice woman replied right away. She said it was "way too soon to tell" if they would show it or not. She said that they get their bookings, at the earliest, a week in advance, usually it is a few days in advance. She said I could ask again in Sept.
*Waits impatiently*

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
There's a discussion over in the Tour forum about trying to coordinate fieldtrips to see Mirror Mask (and if possible linking it with signing dates). Over in that thread I posted the following...

quote:
I AM SOOOOO GEEKED!

On a whim, after our little discussion here, I dropped an e-mail to the people who run one of (actually four of) our local/small indie theaters asking if Mirror Mask would be shown here in St. Louis at one of their theaters and if not what I had to do to get them to get the film. THIS is what I got as a reply!

quote:
Hi JP,

Good news! MirrorMask is currently scheduled to open at the Tivoli Theatre on Friday, September 30 for an exclusive one week engagement. As such, it will appear on the next Tivoli filmcalendar when it is printed and distributed in early September.

All the best,

Perry Glorioso
Landmark Theatres Webmaster
http://www.LandmarkTheatres.com

THAT'S RIGHT, BABY! St. Louis is getting Mirror Mask! WHOOOOO HOOOOOO! So, all you midwesterners who want to see it, make a fieldtrip to the Lou and CancerDusk and I will show you around!

I can't wait to tell Han about this, we'll definitely have to meet up to see it opening day. I am SO stoked!

So, yeah. Geek'd Smile And everyone should come to St. Louis for the opening weekend Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
of the sparkly hair brigade
Picture of del74
posted Hide Post
why didnt i realize that you were in st louis jp?
hmmmmmm
the tivoli? i saw the filth and the fury there...its small, but good!
so how many of us are going?
me and larissa for sure....tory probably not......

The 75 Delirians?
Umm well, number 2 is off sick, 38 is suffering from a mild case of sanity, and 74 has

run off to the world of men to spread sparkly gigglepops to their drab civilization.
Is she nuts?
Oh yes, she scored very highly on the entrance exam!

Posts: 3128 | Location: springfield, il, 62703 | Registered: August 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Hey, Del! No idea why you didn't know that. Thought we talked about it, but now that I think about it, I think it was Nel in Chicago once .. can't remember for sure.

Anyhoo, are you seriously thinking about coming down to see it? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

of the sparkly hair brigade
Picture of del74
posted Hide Post
hell yeah! ive gone to st louis for less. my parents live there so i visit all the time....
ill try to get them to come...ya know, if we get enough people, we could have the we theatreSmile
that would be awesome!

The 75 Delirians?
Umm well, number 2 is off sick, 38 is suffering from a mild case of sanity, and 74 has

run off to the world of men to spread sparkly gigglepops to their drab civilization.
Is she nuts?
Oh yes, she scored very highly on the entrance exam!

Posts: 3128 | Location: springfield, il, 62703 | Registered: August 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
I will definitely be contacting the theater folks again as time draws nearer and we have something of a count of people. I want to make sure they know we're there Smile

And you need to let me know next time you're in town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of Un Chien Andalusia
posted Hide Post
Do we have any theatre lists yet so as to we can call them and preorder tickets etc?

Speed leaving without warning

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
I've not heard of theaters selling tickets three months in advance - do they do that?

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Three months? Can't imagine. In my situation, being a small indie theater, I'm not sure they'll have them much more than a week ahead of time.

And UCA, I'm sure as soon as one gets posted somewhere it'll show up on Neil's blog and here shortly after. Check back! We'll have more details as they become available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Picture of Un Chien Andalusia
posted Hide Post
Well, my bad, I suppose I worded the question wrong... I just wanted to know exactly how we can possibly widen the release the FIRST time around as opposed to waiting for a second release. One can only watch the online trailer so many times.

Speed leaving without warning

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Keep watching the trailer, keep spreading the word. It's the only way, really.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Un Chien Andalusia:
Well, my bad, I suppose I worded the question wrong... I just wanted to know exactly how we can possibly widen the release the FIRST time around as opposed to waiting for a second release. One can only watch the online trailer so many times.

Like Dweller said. And maybe write e-mails to your local theaters, bugging them and requesting it. I figured if anyone in town was going to get it, it was one of our local indie theaters. Looked it up on google, found a site, found an e-mail and fired one off. Even got a reply (see above)! So yeah, maybe something like that for a local theater will work too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

There is no custom member title here.
Picture of The Lord of Nothings
posted Hide Post
there was an ad in this Sunday's art/culture/literary supplamant... it just showed some a piece of art and said the illustrated script and the movie would be coming soon to Australia

which is good

Posts: 16135 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoggoth's Most Peculiar
Picture of denver
posted Hide Post
I saw Mirrormask at the Edinburgh festival last week (introduced by Dave Mckean with a Q&A afterwards). Loved the film, really visually unique (as you'd expect) and some top performances. Hope it gets a decent release over here, I've been recommending it to everyone.

Posts: 3719 | Location: Edinburgh, UK | Registered: October 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post