Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Mirrormask    Mirrormask After-thoughts and Reactions (May Contain Spoilers)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirrormask After-thoughts and Reactions (May Contain Spoilers)
 Login/Join

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted
:: hopping up and down ::

So what did you all think??

I *loved* it. I'll try to articulate more on that thought after I've had some sleep.

Oh I loved the shot near the begining of the film that had the guy juggling the three crystal balls. A nice homage to Labyrinth that made me smile with glee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
I'm going to see it tomorrow, my brother is bringing the soundtrack home right now.

I was on yahoo and saw this clip

Close to you

HOLY LORD THIS MADE ME EXCITED

shit is creepy and dark and its just wow.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caution: Marry at own risk.
Picture of Maure
posted Hide Post
This is what I thought.

It was great fun, and I admit, much more than I expected it to be. The beginning was somewhat murky and frenetic, and I was worried that the entire film would be artfully murky and frenetic, but to my great relief, it wasn't. There were two actually fairly scary moments, which surprised me, and delighted me, and some wonderful Neilish lines (about migrating books, for example). The sound was really cool, with two moments I'm thinking of in particular, when the sound perspective shifts to one character, and it really worked. Dave did, for the most part, a wonderful job (although I'm of the opinion that his animation direction is leaps and bounds beyond his living-person direction, which makes for a bumpy beginning). The story itself was very basic, but I didn't think it was too thin, as has been suggested. On the contrary, I think that if the story were more complex, it would have detracted from the whole.

So despite a few problems (the beginning's pacing and direction bothered me, as did the title of the record playing in the old cat-lady's house (jarring to see the movie's title, like a product placement for itself, in that scene), and I thought it wandered, lagging, just a bit too much at the pool where Helena finally finds the column of keyholes), I very much enjoyed it, and I'm seeing it again today.

Now that I got the first viewing and the story out of the way, I want to see what's hidden in all the corners. I think it's one that will improve with repeated viewings.

m

Posts: 1602 | Location: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I loved every second of it. It's certainly very different from Hollywood, and it's probably not for everyone. But to me, it's a remarkable film.

Posts: 383 | Location: brooklyn | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pirate/Zombie/Hero
Picture of Jena
posted Hide Post
GMZoe, aitapata, Jocelyn, Tongster, Rain, Matrix and I just got back from seeing it. Some of us have to go home now (Frown) but we will all review it shortly. MUCH fun was had!!!

Vice-Chancellor of the Heartless Bitch Council

Damn peer pressure

Posts: 5271 | Location: Sacramento, CA, US | Registered: August 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
first thought : I think the Orbiting Giants are my favorite sad part.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caution: Marry at own risk.
Picture of Maure
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:
first thought : I think the Orbiting Giants are my favorite sad part.

Mine too. I think I saw it the second time partly just to watch that scene again; it was as good the second time as the first.

Posts: 1602 | Location: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
i am thoroughly lazy, so i will just copy/paste from xanga. Big Grin

quote:
Watched Mirrormask last night!!!

There is ONE theater in atlanta that's showing it for ONE week. So i left work early yesterday and we drove to see it. I was so giddy! If any of you remember how annoyingly bouncy i was at Fiddler's Green: this level of giddiness was awfully close to that one. We'd aimed for getting there early, 'cause you have to do that on the way to anything in Atlanta that you don't want to miss, and so we got to the theater half an hour before the movie was to start. That was the longest half hour ever. Anyway, when it was our turn at the ticket window, i could barely contain my glee as i told the guy, "Mirrormask!" He laughed and said, "Excited, are you?" Then he said that he only had one ticket available. I promptly informed escher that he was just gonna have to wait outside. (The guy was kidding, of course.)

my glee increased as the theater filled and i was listening to the various conversations around us and i realized that many of the people around me were actual, living, breathing Gaimaniacs and/or WoW addicts, two species that are horribly rare among the people i encounter in my daily existence. They DO exist in Georgia!

oh, and another thing that stood out was the audience. I rarely ever go see a movie in the theater, one reason being the environment: cold room, other people's kids being noisy or annoying, ringing cellphones or entire cellphone conversations, etc. At this movie though . . . not one single complaint! The room was actually a comfortable temperature for most of the movie (my arms got a bit chilly towards the end); there were children who occasionally made a noise but they were immediately and successfully shushed; and the only cellphone i noticed was when one person walked up the side aisle and out of the room looking at his phone (i never heard it ring). Excellent.

anyway, the movie fulfilled and exceeded any expectations i had, and i thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope to see it once more, and bring escher's mom with us, 'cause i think she could like it. (Any of my relatives would be a waste of an $8.50 ticket -- they'd only dismiss it as "weird.")

hooray!!!! I wonder if i could convince someone at the theater to let me have the poster?

and add: I think i have a crush on Valentine. Big Grin

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Our theatre was giving out mirrormask posters if you bought a large popcorn and a large drink (or any food totally over $9.00). We'd just eaten dinner. I considered. But I really didn't want nine bucks worth of popcorn. So I passed on the poster.

I had read the screenplay book before the movie, because I have no patience, and I guess the huge difference for me was the way the movie just visually popped right out of the screen. Like the opening sequence with all the line drawings. I mean, even though they were simple lines, whatever they did to them to make them 3d was a amazing. The colors were also just visually stunning. And, as Maure mentioned somewhere, the sound editing -- like the part at the end where Helena's dad is on the phone with the hospital, and all of a sudden the other sounds go away and it's just Helena breathing hard and her thoughts while you barely hear her dad on the phone. That was great. I got teary eyed, even though I knew what was going to happen.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
i got teary-eyed more than once

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
*nod*nod*nod*nod*nod*

Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
I saw it last night, I went with my dad and we both really liked it. I got there like 2 hours earlier(or a half an hour late depending on how you look at it, ha) and we went down to the beach for a while, walked through a book store. I wanted to go to a comic store but my dad passed.

So we go back to the theatre and there was no line, I figured there wouldn't be many people at the 5 showing because the signing was at 7 in pasadena(half hour away).

So we get our tickets and more people start coming, it was odd. Some of these people looked visually, out of place. Some of them looked exactly like I expected to see there and then, there was the guy wearing a Death T shirt. haha.

Mostly the people were just in jeans and t shirts and mostly were there because they were neil fans, I believe. Though the theatre has its own fans, apparently.

I did see 1 kid in line for the movie.

It was like a 45 minute wait in line, then a 15 minute wait in the theatre and I was goin nuts.

I finally saw it and I loved it all, from begining to end. The Giants Orbiting scene was the best, though I still really love the "Close To You" scene, and was wondering if anybody else thought that the robots not having hearts was a reference to wizard of oz?

I really liked the movie a great deal and will be buying it on DVD as quickly as it is available.

I have the soundtrack and CLose to YOu and If I apologize(the end song) are so wonderful. The movie and music really put alot of things into my head and I came home absolutely pleased with the movie, but a little depressed because, well, there was stuff in there that really brought back memories of a lost love who was very much like helena. Made me miss her terribly, even though I havent seen her in years, so I emailed one of her friends and told her to get the word for my ex to go see the movie.

Then I called my best friend, whose sister(11) is reading coraline and told her that they both must go see the movie.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
also is it just me or did the key she found remind you of the key to hell?

Picture of Junglebum
posted Hide Post
On just two hours of sleep because of restless anticipation of going to see this movie my friend and I boarded the 9:10am train to the city. Once we arrived (10:08am) we decided we would start walking in the direction of the theatre and catch a cab if we didn't think we'd make it. The show was for 12:10pm.

It was a beautiful day and we couldn't have asked for better. Once we got out of downtown and into the residential area's a peace came over me. I had never been through this part of the city let alone walked it. It was lovely. People of all kinds out enjoying the day. One out of every ten people were walking their dogs. Every mile or so there was a Farmers Market and people were walking around with arms full of flowers and vegetables.

The further we walked the more we decided we could probably make it the whole way. When we were finally about a mile away we knew we would. It was quite an accomplishment for my friend, 4 1/2 miles, who doesn't walk much and I felt I could have walked twice as far. We got to the theatre with 10 minutes to spare.

Well, I must confess, as long as I've been looking forward to seeing this movie I was exhausted and nodded off half a dozen times. I was so angry because I couldn't keep my eyes open no matter how hard I tried to force myself. The art of the movie was beautiful thought even if I was missing important parts of the storyline.

So I can't really give a critique of the movie because of this except for overall appearance of the film itself. It was beautiful.

I would like to see Mirrormask again. I do hope it makes it to a theatre closer to me because I could see it a couple more times.

~*~*~*~*~

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."
(Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)

Posts: 44 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Junglebum
posted Hide Post
The orbiting giants were very sad.

~*~*~*~*~

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."
(Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)

Posts: 44 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eldi:
also is it just me or did the key she found remind you of the key to hell?

I also was reminded of the key to hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12401 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely loved the film. Looking around me, I began to realize exactly what Neil meant when he said "I can pretty much tell which ones are here for me". It's even more special because I somehow coaxed by roommate and his g/f into coming along.

I highly appreciate the "Close to You" scene and I think I've fallen in love with the sphinx(es). The Mask Shop was great too as I collect masks. I can't wait until this movie comes out on DVD.

Posts: 87 | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
hahaha Helena's riddle and Valentines knock knock joke are the best.

waggish jackanape
Picture of Royko
posted Hide Post
I just got back from seeing it with Nel.

In general I thought it was an enjoyable film and was enormously creative, but I was a little underwhelmed by it.

Visually, it was as stunning as anything I've ever seen. The closest thing to the visuals that I can think of was The Cell (which is obviously a very different movie.) But the story just didn't suck me in. I didn't really think it needed to be more complex. But it was sort of one of those fantasy stories where you have to find the key and then find the door and look for the clue and ask the man. It's all just a little arbitrary, as things get solved neatly right when they need to be solved. I just wasn't that concerned about Helena's journey because I knew the answer would always appear just in time. It's harder for me to care when I don't see the risk of failure.

In overall tone and thrust, it reminded me a lot of Miyazaki movies that I've seen (like Spirited Away) but it just didn't have the sense of innocence and heart that make his movies work. It fell flat for me.

I also wasn't sure that Neil's sense of humor and Dave's visual style always meshed as well as I would have wanted them to. The imagery could just be so dark and the dialog would be goofy fun, and while I liked having the mood lightened, there was almost a dissonance to it. To me, it gave the movie a sense of disconnect.

In the end, it was all interesting and kind of fun, but it just wasn't very compelling. I'm not going to be thinking about these characters after this post, and to me that's a sign that I wasn't that involved in the story.

Still, I thought it was a good effort, and I'd rather see original good efforts than trite crap. So I hope Dave and Neil collaborate on another movie, because I think if they ever got all the elements working at full throttle, they'd make something unbelievable.

---------------------------------------------------------------
So fluffy you could die.
(blog)

Posts: 6917 | Location: Chicago | Registered: October 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scourge of the Lower East Side
Picture of Nel Gurgle
posted Hide Post
Royko summed up much of what was discussed after the viewing today...

Visually...breathtaking...almost overwhelming...

But, I felt a little rushed at points...and some of the humor was rushed a bit...

-and more than once I thought...this is like Labyrinth... or this is like Legend...especially the Close to You scene...

I also caught the Mirrormask label on the record at the cat lady's shop...I thought that was very off as well...I kept thinking HEY! CLUE! But apparently it was not related to the story...

I will view it again on video I think...and see if it gels better in my mind then...

----------------------------
Official Pineapple Master General of the Realm of Unproductivity and Procrastination

He said 'It's all in your head,' and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it....

Posts: 14738 | Location: 'burbs of Chicago | Registered: September 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post