Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Mirrormask    Mirrormask After-thoughts and Reactions (May Contain Spoilers)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirrormask After-thoughts and Reactions (May Contain Spoilers)
 Login/Join

Picture of Lady Doomest
posted Hide Post
Havent seen it of such yeeeeeeet, but it looks very exciting and i think it should make it to the cinema, so what if its a low budget film, i think its looks amazing!!!

Bit of a Alice in Wonderland feel to it but (im some of you must have mentioned) looking foward to seeing it!.....

Smile

-----------------------------
Sorry for being a woman, said Eve

Posts: 416 | Location: Dark depths of London | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Mirrormask this last Saturday and have been looking at the comments here.
Two things.
First. Mirrormask is referenced in one of my favorite on-line comice, Something Positive, in the posting for 10 October. http://www.somethingpositive.net/

Second, it seemed to me that one of the main thrusts of the film has been ignored so far in the commentary here, yet it seems so obvious to me. The film's focus is dualism, the split nature of all of our personalities. And it is "right in front of your face" the whole time. The floating giants, the Light city and dark city, etc. Even the fact that the needed object is a mirror-mask. At the very end climax, think of the final image. (I won't spoiler here...)
In that light, the record becomes just a mirror object, a self-reference. I thought it was a clue, too, and it is, but not the obvious one that I first thought.
I am _so_ going to buy the DVD.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Junglebum
posted Hide Post
The more I think about this movie the more I like it and the more I want to see it again.

This movie may have it's faults (what movie doesn't) but it really it a great movie. It's one of those that requires more than one viewing. I hope this gets a little closer home to me though I would go into Chicago to see it again.

Can't wait for the DVD.

~*~*~*~*~

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."
(Pierre Teilhard de Chardin)

Posts: 44 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aithein
posted Hide Post
I saw it tonight. It was as wonderful as I expected. It was very Neil, and very Dave and very excellent.

I didn't think the story was too thin. It was after all, a kids movie. Not all stories have to be complicated. Sometimes it's the way they are presented that is the important part.

The only problem I had with it is the sound mix was pretty bad, in parts the score was so loud that it drowned out the dialogue. Maybe that was just the theater I saw it in.

Punctuality is the virtue of the bored.
-Evelyn Waugh.

Posts: 11 | Location: Minneapolis. | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aithein:
I didn't think the story was too thin. It was after all, a kids movie.

(pet peeve. I agree, not all movies have to be complex. Saying it shouldn't be expected to be complex because it's a kid's movie though bugs me.)

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Saw this movie after reading all the mixed reviews about it here and other places, so my expectations weren't as high as when I first heard about it.

That being said, I really enjoyed it. The story reminded me a lot of "Labrynth" and "The Never-Ending Story," and as a kid's movie, I think it stands right up there with "Labynth," but probably not as high with TNES. That movie had some complexity in it, which I think is a good thing for movies, whether they're made for kids or not. Harry Potter is another good example of a layered story for kids. I wish it had had a bigger release, because I do think it would have appealed to many more kids who have not yet seen it.

I liked the orbiting giants, the library, and the hard time Valentine had with saying sorry. The acting was much better than I expected. There were some very funny parts, most notable: Valentine's vision of the future and his response: "NO! I DON'T WANT TO BE A WAITER." I was surprised how much I really liked all the stuff that was set in the real world (ie, Helena's aunt's apartment, etc.).

This is far from my favorite thing that Neil has done, but as far as a starting point for what him and Dave McKean can do in film, I felt like it was an exciting promise for things to come.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xenacrazy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aithein:
The only problem I had with it is the sound mix was pretty bad, in parts the score was so loud that it drowned out the dialogue. Maybe that was just the theater I saw it in.

There was absolutely no problem with the sound where I saw it. In fact, I kept whispering to my friend how much I loved the music - it worked so well with the movie, never feeling too sappy, cliche, etc.

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
creepy. fabulous. moving.
very new millenia henson. great great great.
perfect spooky tom waits-ian carnival music.
need to see it again, own it on dvd, know it scene by scene by heart.
still sad for the orbiting giants.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is a loose cannon
Picture of Ramblin' Phoenix
posted Hide Post
I traveled to Rochester last night to see it at the Little Theatre. I really liked it. It was real bizzare, which I expected, but very creepy and funny at the same time. Valentine reminded me of my boss in a way that I really can't explain.
The goth makeover to "Close to You" creeped me out.

The Way of the Buffalo A podcast of fiction, stuff, and nonsense.

Posts: 3120 | Location: North Tonawanda, NY | Registered: December 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it, the visuals were stunning. We also had a small problem with the score in a couple of places drowning out the dialogue.

Good basic quest-to-save-a-world/someone I love storyline.

I never thought of it as a children's movie. In fact, the friend I went with and I are both parents, and neither of us felt it would work very well for the younger (7 & 8 y.o.) kids.

The inept sphinx was a classic.....

And as I've said elsewhere, not Labyrinth, not Dark Crystal.......my brain perked up it's ears and said "Brazil!"

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24392 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeZee:
I enjoyed it, the visuals were stunning. We also had a small problem with the score in a couple of places drowning out the dialogue.

Good basic quest-to-save-a-world/someone I love storyline.

I never thought of it as a children's movie. In fact, the friend I went with and I are both parents, and neither of us felt it would work very well for the younger (7 & 8 y.o.) kids.

The inept sphinx was a classic.....

And as I've said elsewhere, not Labyrinth, not Dark Crystal.......my brain perked up it's ears and said "Brazil!"

maybe not really a "kids" movie, but definetly pre or early teens.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eldi:

Well, I just got back from taking a 6-year-old (i.e. Zoe) and she loved it, so I've gotta disagree about it not being a kids movie

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
quote:
Originally posted by Eldi:

Well, I just got back from taking a 6-year-old (i.e. Zoe) and she loved it, so I've gotta disagree about it not being a kids movie

Ah, I wasnt saying that kids wouldnt enjoy it, but it seems like early teen agers(13 or so) seem like theyd be the ones to get the most out of it.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Anyway, I was more awake when I saw it this time. There are definitely a few areas where it clunks, but I also noticed new details I hadn't connected before, like Helena's mum's mask at the circus is half light and half dark or that the silly face card Helena drew is the same silly face she made in the library

Picture of The LURRRVELY Miss P.
posted Hide Post
i LOVED it. I now imitate the sphinxes at dinner "Hungry. Hungry!" I think I have a crush on Valentine, too. Wink I bought the Mirrormask soundtrack RIGHT after seeing the movie at the Kendall Square theater and I can't stop listening to "If I Apologised". BTW, the record in that mask store is just the track "Mrs. Bagwell's Rhumba". The CD even has the skip at the end and the sphinx's purr.

------------------------------
"You were the chosen one!"

Sometimes I think that my chorus teacher looks like John Lennon...but I KNOW that my Hebrew School teacher is really Moby...Maybe I should ask for his autograph...

I have kiss-ual frustration. So kiss me!

Posts: 81 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lady Doomest
posted Hide Post
i thought it was wonderful!! i saw it yesterday and the actress Stephanie Leonisdas and Dave Mckean was there, they said some words before and after the film had finished!!! i was really stoked that they were there!!!!

i loved the bit where she was talking to to the two giants, gave me shivers!!!

Smile

-----------------------------
Sorry for being a woman, said Eve

Posts: 416 | Location: Dark depths of London | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
I just saw it. It opened yesterday at a little theater just up the road. It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk.
I liked it. I saw where Neil mentioned in his journal that this story tread on similar ground of Coraline but that this was essentially Mckean's story. I thought there would be some sort of reconciliation between the mother and daughter at the end of the film. I thought the mother might acknowledge her daughter need to broaden her horizons and experience. I thought it was a nice story of frustration and ultimately realizing the most important things in life. Visually it was breathtaking. I have loved Mckeans art ever since I saw the first Sandman cover.
I thought the scenes with the Sphinx were funny and the library.
I might see a matinee on Monday after work.

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Iceman
posted Hide Post
I watched it at the BFIs London Film Festival.

One word: Amazing!

I also enjoyed the Q&A afterwards with the actors and Dave McKean

Iceman

Posts: 5 | Location: London | Registered: November 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Asitsays
posted Hide Post
I thought this would be the best movie of the year, so I was dissapointed. Some cool sequences and visuals, but the actors seemed disinterested. Dunno lacked a certain energy for me. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing it again though.

Posts: 38 | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aiobhell
posted Hide Post
Any word on a DVD release date for Mirror Mask?

Posts: 13 | Location: Gotham | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post