Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Mirrormask    Mirrormask After-thoughts and Reactions (May Contain Spoilers)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirrormask After-thoughts and Reactions (May Contain Spoilers)
 Login/Join

Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
Product Details

Actors: Stephanie Leonidas, Gina McKee, Rob Brydon, Jason Barry, Dora Bryan, See more
Directors: Dave McKean
Format: Ac- , Color, Dolby, Dubbed, Subtitled, Widescreen, Ntsc
Rated:
Studio: Sony Pictures
DVD Release Date: February 7, 2006
Run Time: 101 min (original theatrical or airing runtime)
Average Customer Review: Based on 3 Reviews
From IMDb: Quotes & Trivia
ASIN: B000BT97AO
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #3,836 in DVD

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

I sincerely hope that there aren't any hold-ups with the release of the DVD - I worked on the film and have been gagging to see it again (and smugly to show it to friends and relations) since the cast and crew screening way back in the mists of time.

My girlfriend bought me a copy of "The Alchemy of Mirrormask" for my birthday back at the end of October, which was one of the nicest surprises to see how much of my work was in there and that of Vanessa Kellas.

A joy to work on, an inspired film, and a bloody excellent cast & crew!

Take care & Happy Holidays,

-Mark.

Posts: 2 | Location: Letchworth, UK | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of black_magdalene
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the letter evil Helena (anti-Helena) wrote to her mother, when she stole the Mirrormask? Is it located in the script? While I watched the film (3 times) it always seemed like the complete letter was never read. Now I'm curious. Many Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Location: Nashville,TN | Registered: August 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
a bit of it is in the scriptbook, but I'd suggest checking out the children's book. It has a decent sized letter (i.e. the best thing you'll find til you can pause the DVD when it comes out) and you get to find out what Helena was doing while Valentine was out getting the letter

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G'day folks, this is my first post here.

As far as I know Mirrormask isn't out in Australia (and if it is, it's not our anywhere near me) but I was lucky enough to get the script book for X-Mas. I read it all in about three days (had to work - darn it) and I absolutaly loved it.

THe film is avalable to buy from Amazon on Fed 7th so I'm gonna order it from there. I wish I oculd have seen it on the big screen, but there you go.

THere are so many concepts in the script I loved, the Ordbiting Giants for one, the socks opeining the film, the floating books. I just loved it, can't wait to see it!

Sorry i don't really have anyhting to add, but I'll let you folks know what I though of the film when I get the DVD.

So till then,

Cheers.

Posts: 23 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of black_magdalene
posted Hide Post
Thank you, for letting me know about the children's book. I'll definitely ask my boss to order it for our own collection.

Posts: 3 | Location: Nashville,TN | Registered: August 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It never came here, so waiting for the DVD...

But you know how you get a picture in your mind of a writer's atmosphere or ambience--the breath & smell of their novels' "world"?

The trailer immediately made me think of the images in my mind when I read China Mieville, another writer I am hot for (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indrid Cold
posted Hide Post
Woe. I searched all about for it on the Feb.7th (vid store said the 7th!!!)

Now someone said the 14th? Anyone know that's true?

'Not that you die, but that you die like sheep.'

Posts: 1211 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
*nods* the 14th is true.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indrid Cold
posted Hide Post
*sighhhhh* My valentine ....

It never played around here, I've been waitin' anticipatin' ...

'Not that you die, but that you die like sheep.'

Posts: 1211 | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Spencer:
I worked on the film and have been gagging to see it again
-Mark.

What did you do for the film? This is so cool.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chimeer:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Spencer:
I worked on the film and have been gagging to see it again
-Mark.

What did you do for the film? This is so cool.

Sorry it's taken a while to write back. I was the stills photographer, hence being jolly pleased with how much of my work was in "The Alchemy of Mirrormask".

It really was an absolute joy to work on. Neil and I had to do a pincer formation on Dave to get him to sit for a few photos though! ;-)

Take care all,

-Mark.

Posts: 2 | Location: Letchworth, UK | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope this is the right place for this, sorry if it is not.

Just thought I'd let you folks know that the Aussie (Region 4) edition of Mirrormask comes with a really cool slip case which, as far as I know, wasn't avalable with the US edition. I have both editions, so I'm cheering!

Basically the front of the slip case has the same image as the cover of the Illustrated Film Script book and the back is the same as the regular DVD case.

Posts: 23 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nisi
posted Hide Post
WOOT! Just had Mirrormask show up on my list of movies on demand and watched it over the weekend. Found out my 9 year old had already had the pleasure of watching it and loved it as well. I agree with the concept of TNES and Labrynth references, lol, made me think of Tool and Marylin Manson videos as well. I must must must get the book now.

Stars is easy, people is hard. - Granny Weatherwax

Posts: 36 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was unhappy that there was not a singel theatré in my area that was willing to show the movie, but thankfully is out on DVD Smile I placed an order for it as soon ans I saw in on Amazon.ca and got it very quickly, faster than I though it would take. So after seeing it i have to say that Mirrormask is great I'm going to have to get my friend to watch this movie.

Posts: 7 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:
Did anyone else think that Valentine's head looked like a large order of french fries?

Yep. Frenchfryhead was almost but not quite annoying. I had a crush on the Dark Queen, because I'm a sucker for a sexy voice.

Am I the only one who heard Helena's riddle and thought "That old chestnut?" I read that when I was a kid, in a tattered Reader's Digest even older than I was.

Valentine's tower was based on Baba Yaga's bird-footed house.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Helena Campbell
posted Hide Post
I would LOVE for NG to write a short story about anti-helena

Posts: 14 | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got a chance to see it. The movie was . . . singular. I've really not seen its like. Well, I have, sort of, but not done quite that same way. I loved all the twists on the child's quest to save the world, like UnLunDun, but, well, even trippier.

I think my favourite part would have to be the Bobs and Malcolm.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jaya Lakshmi
posted Hide Post
This is one of those movies that my mother doesn't get and like, even though we have a similar relationship to that of Helena's and her mother in the movie.

I love this movie mainly because of Stephanie Leonidas and the "Close to You" song sequence. This girl needs to be in more movies.

Posts: 17 | Registered: August 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MidNight The Magnificent
posted Hide Post
I really REALLY loved Mirrormask. Reminded me very strongly of Labyrinth, does anyone remember that movie with David Bowie & a very young Jennifer Connelly?

Labyrinth & those stupid(said with all due respect, of course!)old Sinbad Of The Seven Seas movies. Good fun, yeah! I need to get those on dvds too. I just got my copy of Mirrormask signed last night! Hell's yeah, Mr. Gaiman, you rock!

http://i698.photobucket.com/al...icent/P1010430-1.jpg

“The one thing I'll never be is sui-cidal. Homi-cidal is all fine and good 'cause that ain't MY survival on the line. Other people? Who fucking cares?!”~MidNight

Posts: 2 | Location: Realm Of Delusion | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post