Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirrormask :(
 Login/Join

posted
Uh, is this really Gaiman film? I mean, of course it's in his style; but...not....<sigh> might as well say: Mirrormask (to me) was a disappointment. Sure, McKean did a great direction job but this came...toO SOON! I did not like and found it very bad. Why? It's just I can't stand this 'White-queen-black-queen' whole symposis. Sure, there is A LOT more to it but if I wanted to see something like that I would simply read the Sandman which is basically GOOD VERSUS EVOLLLL..... Hmm, did any of you find it a dissapoinment? Gaiman is a MASTERMIND STORYTELLER INDEED, but this is basically a bad rip-off of Coraline. Sorry, I did not like it like I do his other works. I want him to continue writing screenplays but not 'family-movie' screenplays. This is really a genius film and I respect Neil and David for doing it, but there were so many flaws; and The Jim Henson company sucks!

Posts: 52 | Location: FUCK PANDABEARS! | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you might be interested in this thread.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caution: Marry at own risk.
Picture of Maure
posted Hide Post
How was the Sandman about good versus evil?

That's one of the least things it was about, I think.

m

Posts: 1602 | Location: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: June 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not many people really UNDERSTAND sandman in the first place. Oh GREAT, PEOPLE LASH OUT AT ME AGAIN! THAT'S JUST EFFIN GREAT!
blah blah bloody blah whatever

Posts: 52 | Location: FUCK PANDABEARS! | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Nick, Maure was asking a question. She was not lashing by any means.

Perhaps you should step back and examine how internet interactions work? I think you might be reading inflections that are not present.

Either that, or double check the definition of "lashing out."

And, of anyone on this board, Maure isn't the one to accuse of not understanding Sandman.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
I clearly remember Neil saying at some point that Sandman was the kind of higher power that was neither god nor evil... well it also comes out of the text itself.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, yeah...I have such a bad and 'new' approach here, don't I? Always thinking people are "lashing out" as they call it. Why do I post messages like that? Becuase I'm trying to be honest and not look like a fool even though I already am I fool trying to not be a fool. I just say the wrong things at the wrong time; my review somehow didn't work well and usually when I saw something here it is either lightly protested or considered 'wrong' to answer Maure's question in the best way: I'm only giving an example and I had compared Sandman to Mirrormask because of their unquie style. Mirrormask, I think, was too much of a mixture of Coraline, Sandman, and...hmm, what else? I don't know, I'm a lazy idiot...
Uh, really I don't want to compare the comic Sandman itself to Mirrormask because that would be wrong. And I do admit I used some of the wrong words in that. Honestly, you would if you were up AT FOUR 'O CLOCK IN THE MORNING AND TRYING TO MAKE A POINT THE BEST WAY YOU CAN.
But by any means, I do not wish to compare Sandman with the whole crappy 'good v.s. evil' thing. Yes, I am very hard to understand and maybe the one teddy bear mutant freak will respond now saying "I'm not sure I'm following..." blah blah blah
I never thought of Amy, and responsible, and adult being in the same sentence...

Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Have you read our message board's FAQ? It's a handy document that lets you know that, whatever time of morning you're posting and however brilliant but misunderstood, calling your fellow posters mutant freaks, irresponsible and immature is not a good idea.

First strike, lad. Two more and you get to move on to brighter pastures. Show some respect. And don't bother responding with that drivel about "respect has to be earned." I've heard it before and I wasn't impressed then.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
If you really have to know, it was 2:23 am when I posted that. And there's always the option of posting at an hour that you think is more favorable to your brain activity.

Here: I'll give you that there are some common elements between Coraline and Mirrormask. An alternate world, an evil version of Mom, a girl who must do something to save a parent. But the whole treatement of the thing and the texture of the alternate world is so different that it didn't bother me. It's like complaining that Asimov writes books where there's always robots.

Feel free to ellaborate on how you think Sandman and Mirrormask are similar. I don't see it.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's like an Oreo cookie, only not
Picture of Chiaroscuro
posted Hide Post
Lol... Nick is an interesting dude...
And I rather like him, but yes, don't insult people, please.

I agree with Chimeer, Mirror is a lot more like Coraline then Sandman. For one thing, Sandman had many, many themes-- the biggest being change, and not good verses evil-- but in some parts, that's there, too.
I always thought Mirror was MORE McKeans work then Neils. I'm pretty sure they coorberated in the writing, though. It wasn't perfect, I felt it was choppy, but what do I know?
Some things are better then others. That's that. Smile

------------------------------
Boil up some Mt. Dew, it's gunna be a long night.
DeviantArt
Blog

Posts: 776 | Location: The black hole known as Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, well, all I'm saying is that...well, asking, is will this be like his future work? I did not like Mirrormask for the reason that it looked too ahead of its time. I would only expect something like that out of him if his career was going down, you know, to remind us of his old work. One thing I can't stand about Mirrormask is the whole 'rescue white queen kill black queen' it seems soooooooo wrong. I think C.S. Lewis wouldn't like that either. And like I said, I do not like the Jim Henson company. This is Neil Gaiman, not the muppets movie (not that it had anything to do with the muppets, I just thought that joke was funny Wink) And you're right, Chiaroscuro, some things ARE better than others. I like the idea of combind live action with animation with a Tim Burton-like art tone but...this wasn't to my liking. I'm just being honest. I'm sorry for "lashing" out at Maure thinking she was lashing at me when I'm the bloody piece of crap here. Okay, I have not really read the FAQs, lad, and I am often accused of being immature and inccurate here.
Well noooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.............................................It looks like I have said my honest to God opinon............................................................

What fruit bat?
Picture of jak
posted Hide Post
i think we really do need to remember that Mirrormask is really Dave McKean's, not Neil's. Yes, Neil, did the screenplay, but the person who is most identified with a movie is always the director, not the writers. (When you think of ET or Pulp Fiction, who do you think of? right.) A movie is so much more than a book (or a comic), because it has so many pieces that are all pulled together to make the whole thing work. the screenplay is really one of the smallest parts of that, i think.

and honestly? i think the screenplay was the weakest bit of mirrormask. but it provided a stable background for Dave McKean, his animators, and the actors to play on. And they played beautifully.

impressions

Posts: 2584 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
Oh, common, cheer up, sir Nick. It's not that bad. I believe creation goes in waves, and after a top of a wave you need a period of cooling off so you can gather the energy for the next big thing. It may take Neil a couple more years to come up with the next thing to blow off the roofs and win all the prizes, but I'm sure it's gonna happen again before long.

Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Mirrormask was a bit like Coraline in the "Alice in wonderland" approach that so many children's writers ahve used -kid travels to another world, there's trouble, has to fix it. But it is also different -in some stories, the kid loves the new world and doesn't want to come back; sometimes the kid creates the trouble, sometimes it's already there; sometimes the trouble is only confined to the "new wolrd" and sometimes it affects the 2real world"...
I think Neil is just exploring these kind of stories. He's got more children's stories in mind, if I remember correctly, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had a similar vibe to it. then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they had nothing to do with it.

Thing is, everyone that doesn't like some of Neil's world ends up comparing it to Sandman. And what I think needs to be born in mind is, the Sandman was written over 10 years. That's 10 years of creating, developing and epxloring a genre, a storyline, devices, plots... The Sandman is a great work, no doubt about that, but not all issues are good. The first storyline is very standard, but it's relevance is given by future storylines, so we're able to overlook its flaws once we put everything together.

Neil is a great storyteller. What I love about him is the WYA in which he tells his stories. Some of his stories are better than others, and MANY of his themes are recurrent. I accept that and don't mind it at all, coz, basically, I enjoy the whole process of listenning/reading/watching his stories so much.

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post