Find
Notify
Tools

MirrorMask DVD
 Login/Join

Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
While I didn't like the film (loved the visuals, quite frankly thought that the script and the flow of the movie sucked), I'm finding the making ofs very interesting. Looking forward to checking out the commentary track.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
I was a little disappointed that the extras seem to be captioned in almost every language imaginable except English. My wife is hearing impaired and I would have loved to show her some of the interviews.

So the film has english subtitles but the extras don't? Shocking.
People who decide those things should get out a bit more and listen to people. And think a bit. (My personal -and imaginary- battel in that sense is Spanish DVDs that force Spanish subtitles on the extras -you can't switch them off, you can't have English subtitles. Pisses me to no end.)
I'm thinking probably the European DVD will be fully subtitled for the deaf, since they're very careful in that sense here. Not that it is any good for you or your wifde unless you want to buy it again...

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It IS getting an Aussie release? Oh brilliant! Even thought I have a Region 1 copy, I'm still gonna get the Aussie release, I wonder if it's ready to be pre-ordered yet?

Posts: 23 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigstripeydave
posted Hide Post
Dougy - I just did a quick search. Couldn't find it at Sanity or JB Hi Fi, but

Chaos have it for $38.05
EzyDVD have it for $39.95
HMVhave it for $39.99

You can pre-order from any of the 3 above. Couldn't think of any other outlets off-hand...

Posts: 14 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked out EzyDVD and saw it there. $40 is usually a bit more than I'm willing to pay for a DVD, but in this case I might make to an exception.

Posts: 23 | Location: Australia | Registered: January 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rogue Tomato
Picture of Yepa [Holdingpillow]
posted Hide Post
European release is, according to play.com 05/06/2006.

Preorder is a good thing. Still have to wait though.

You should be fencing, and I should be banging coconuts!

"No more! The Earth's a burrito! We're done!"
-The Snazz-

Trying to take over the world, one nude cook at the time

Posts: 6217 | Location: Vikingland | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still have to wait though.

I feel your pain.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dougy:
I checked out EzyDVD and saw it there. $40 is usually a bit more than I'm willing to pay for a DVD, but in this case I might make to an exception.
It should eventually come down in price.

Posts: 146 | Location: Australia | Registered: December 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should eventually come down in price

True. I imported the Region 1 DVD, but I'd still like the get a copy of the local release but seeign as i have the R1 DVD I'll wait untill that happens. Hopefully places like Big W will sell it a little cheaper.

Picture of Croaker
posted Hide Post
Finally got a copy.
I'd been to 3 different stores on the day it came out (back in feb) and none of them had it.
Then I was walking in Walmart and found one copy on some side peg thing wedged in so that I almost had to break it to get it out.

Good part - $25 instead of $40 (which is what HMV told me it would cost).

---------------------
Good Dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them.

Posts: 1404 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TheBunnisher
posted Hide Post
I really did like this movie. The actors are superb. Dave McKean and Neil Gaiman always create gold together. Smile

***Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick! And, man, is he having a blast.***

Posts: 1 | Location: Top o' the world. | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dragons Bard
posted Hide Post
I rented it from blockbuster and watched it last night. I loved it! I am probably the only one who cried watching it but the girl reminded me so much of my own young teenage girl and her reactions when I was in ill health last year and when I went through three surgeries. My daughter loves to draw all over the place just like the girl in the movie.

I loved the art work and costumes. My son watched it and didn't expect to like it but now he wants me to buy it. Our favorite charactors were the book eating creatures that liked riddles.

Posts: 3568 | Location: Valhalla | Registered: May 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
Those were sphynxes. Nice kitties.

*hun-gry*

The Bobs were also funny.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fata Morgana
posted Hide Post
The riddling ones were gryphons, according to the script book. Which confused me - isn't that the sphinx's riddle?

I loved this movie. Rented it from Netflix originally, but now I want to buy it.

Posts: 12 | Location: New York | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
D'oh! Gryphons sounds more like it. Yes, that would be a sphinx riddle.

posted Hide Post
Saw that it has now been locally released.

Posts: 146 | Location: Australia | Registered: December 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
I was a little disappointed that the extras seem to be captioned in almost every language imaginable except English. My wife is hearing impaired and I would have loved to show her some of the interviews.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine -when the English caption track isn't used. Especially since the script was obviously available. If it had necessitated transcription, it would have cost a maximum of $1000 more, but since the script was already available it should have only necessitated a time-code match-up, which would have been $400 maximum.
I have a number of relatives (adults and children) who don't speak English as a first language, and therefore watching the English subtitles while hearing the English words helps to improve their English comprehension. There was a brief window in the Home Video business where product had to be available for the hearing impaired, and sadly those regulations seem to have gone away. Most studios provide Closed Captioning, and in this case Mirrormask provides that feature as well (on the R1 release). Accessing that feature necessitates that you own a caption box for your television. Some of the cable providers have CC ready digital boxes, so you may want to inquire with your cable provider. I'm not sure about Satellite providers.

There is one other possibility (aside from petty financial reasons) why they might have left off the English subtitle track as a feature on the commercial disc, however. There is conflicting information online about whether it is a DVD5 or a DVD9, so data space on the disc could have been a factor. There are a lot of visual extras and the information appears to extend almost all the way to the edge of the disk, which may have necessitated decisions about which extras got to stay, and which ones had to go.
On Bluray, data space shouldn't be an issue, so it will be interesting to note if the English Language Subs are on that version of the release.

Off topic: I used to know a fair amount of American sign language when I was younger, but when I recently encountered some hearing impaired Chinese, I noticed that there were vast differences in the way we sign. It makes sense since much of our signing is based on our alphabet in addition to unique motions to represent objects and actions. Since their alphabet consists of entirely different characters it was an opportunity to relearn from scratch.

Posts: 28 | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MirrorMask somewhat suffers after comparison to the two other films that tackled similar subject matter at about that same time. Pan's Labyrinth released a bit later (but in production at the same time) was excellent and Terry Gilliam's Tideland was a bit unpleasant, but both benefited from vastly larger budgets and access to top notch performers. HOWEVER, the bonus features on the US MirrorMask DVD, including many interviews and convention panels with Neil and Dave, warrant purchase by themselves.
I find that I watch these interviews far more often than I watch the film.

Posts: 28 | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
I never noticed that there was no English captioning before. I hope that is corrected on the release.
------------this is one of the films that I own that has gotten the most repeat mileage!
I bring it out during conversations and get RE-engrossed in it every single time.

I know this serves very little purpose but for me to soundboard, but- I DO feel better having said it. : )
And I plan to watch it again very soon! <--The imagery seems to touch upon Archetypes that resonate in my subconscious- and the stylized backdrops enclose the epic story closer to the viewer's perspective so that it almost feels - home made--- (but, there is nothing 'home made' about it).
I feel like I need to rewind many times in the movie to see "this effect" or to hear "that line", and that intrigues me that I am not bored after so many viewings!
It is subtle--- and it touches my soul.

But yes-- I hope that they get the English captions added for future release.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite film. It is so beautiful.

Posts: 7 | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post