Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Mirrormask    Mirror Mask- Help me out:)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirror Mask- Help me out:)
 Login/Join

posted
Just saw it on DVD. First, I DO love it.LOVE IT. But lets get past thatSmile

On some level, I feel Im missing something. Usually stories like this are leveled with meaning. Almost everything, every character has a double meaning, and surely there was a lot of that, and also a good amount of nonsence tossed it.

I guess what I felt was that this was too much a "flight of Fancy" film and didnt really have enough meat to the story. I know it was a dream film but stil...

OR Im just missing the deeper levels of the story... or am I not?

What do you think?
M!

Posts: 15 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
If you have the DVD you might wanna watch the movie with the commentary from Neil and Dave on. They kind of explain some of the levels of meaning in the story and I found out a couple of things I hadn't thought of.

I don't know that the movie has a deeper message or interpretation beside the exploration of Helena's world and of the sides of her personality, and of her relation with the parents. Nor that it really needs to. It also kind of grows on you when you watch it again Smile

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
Is that you on the list of guests here:
http://www.harveyawards.org/
?? Cool Smile

And is this considered advertising something and am I not supposed to do it? It has nothing to do with me personally.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I plan on listening to the Commentary. My son saw bits of it and fell in love.

Yep, I go to Baltimore every con, since the first. The Harvey Awards are nice, but its sadly become like a big hand-job for a certian company and year after year and it just drags the awards down. A shame really.

Posts: 15 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Mike, did you see this thread? It goes on for a few pages, but I think there were quite a few people who enjoyed Mirrormask a lot, but had hoped it would be meatier story-wise than it was.

That said, I've got to check out the commentaries still.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, thanks, no I didnt see that