Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  New Projects  Hop To Forums  All Hallow's Read    Give a Book This Hallowe'en
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give a Book This Hallowe'en
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted
All Hallow’s Read is a Hallowe’en tradition. It’s simply that in the week of Hallowe’en, or on the night itself, you give someone a scary book.

More details of this can be found on the website All Hallow's Read ran by the webgoblin himself.

I think it might be time for me to search out some scary books!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smaug,

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
could be the Video who killed the Radio star.
Picture of fluffyllama
posted Hide Post
aside from the Graveyard Book?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a wonderfully creepy book, for boys and girls. unfortunately it's newish, and only in hardcover.

lookit me, i'm postin! wheee!

Posts: 14241 | Location: Mpls, MN USA | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
At work I set up a display of scary books in the kid section. They have been flying off the display. Kids really love scary books. And I am loving Niel's All Hallow's read.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
For kids I liked "The Thief of Always" by Clive Barker.

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
speaks Sanskrit in three different languages
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
I just registered today. What does reply with quote mean? That I should have a relevant quote from someone? Anyway, for kids a great spooky story (I've been looking all over the net and can't find the author or title) is the one where the main character has recurring dreams about a cottage and runs across it in waking life only to discover that it was haunted by him. Do you know of this story?

"I lost some time once; it's always in the last place you look for it."--Delirium

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelJOwens:
I just registered today. What does reply with quote mean? That I should have a relevant quote from someone?

Hi Michael, welcome to the board, 'reply with quote' allows you to do what I've just done, take all (or by deleting some, part) of a previous post and put it in your own post, it helps to make it clear that you are replying directly to a previous comment.

I can't say I know the story you're talking about, but it reminds me of one of my childhood favourite, Marriane Dreams but in this book it's a young girl who draws and then dreams about a house.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelJOwens:
I just registered today. What does reply with quote mean? That I should have a relevant quote from someone?

Hi Michael, welcome to the board, 'reply with quote' allows you to do what I've just done, take all (or by deleting some, part) of a previous post and put it in your own post, it helps to make it clear that you are replying directly to a previous comment.

I can't say I know the story you're talking about, but it reminds me of one of my childhood favourite, Marriane Dreams but in this book it's a young girl who draws and then dreams about a house.

Thanks for the help, Smaug. I've tried almost every combination of words and phrases on Google, but I still can't find it. It's driving me crazy. When you put in anything with "haunt" in your search window, you get over a million results. Maybe I dreamed the dream of a dreamer who dreams of a house that he haunts. That would be truly eerie. Haha!

"I lost some time once; it's always in the last place you look for it."--Delirium

Picture of Peter Swift
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone! My first post on this board so a general hello! I'm more of a lurker than a poster Smile

I love the Graveyard book. I had to buy it twice--digital and print. Can't part with those!

Last year for AHE, I gave a copy of The Shining to an older exchange student who never read a King book. This year... Hmmm. I have some Shan on my shelf I could pass on. Wait Till Helen Comes or Down a Dark Hall are good Halloween reads I'd love to share. Guess I should choose my targets first!

Posts: 3 | Location: Farther East | Registered: October 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
(Welcome MichaelJOwens and Hello to Peter)!

Smaugy- is it cheating to give an AUDIO BOOK???

- - -Last year, we were at House On the Rock for the American Gods Costume Party and I've never been the same SINCE! - - -Miss you guys!
Happy Halloweeeeeeen ALL.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
enlightened website user
Picture of the other duncan
posted Hide Post
I don't know about giving a kid a book on Halloween,
'cause if the goblins get 'im (or 'er, I don't think they really care),
then they probably will never get a chance to read it,
and if by chance it's left behind,
with most of the child's left shoe or bloodied scarf,
then it'll just end up in a box in the evidence storeroom.

Maybe after they come home would be okay...

(not his real name)

Posts: 6861 | Location: darned eff I know | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
I love The Graveyard Book too, Peter. For me King's The Shining will always be inextricably linked to the Kubrick film. I'll never forget the twin girls. "Come play with us, Danny." As for stories, some of the original fairy tales written down by Charles Perrault are quite scary. Although, once kids read them they'll never look at Disney movies in the same way.

Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lan Martak:
For kids I liked "The Thief of Always" by Clive Barker.

And good for adults too? I've never read it but I loved his Weaveworld and Imajica (many years ago!)

..... now that is weird! I just nipped upstairs to check on the shelf how to spell Imajica, and found a copy of The Thief of Always! Spooky! It's just sitting there, looking like it's never been read and is waiting for me ....!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone! First post Smile

I'm celebrating All Hallow's Read this year by passing on some of my older Stephen King stuff to my nephew who's old enough for them now.

I'm also giving away a couple of copies of the Graveyard Book on my blog. I'm hoping they'll go to people who will love it as much as I did!

Though it's not necessarily a "scary" book, I shared Good Omens with my sister last year and she loved it (of course!).

Happy happy Halloween y'all Smile

~ Beth x

http://bepgaddis.wordpress.com

@bepgaddis on twitter

Posts: 1 | Location: Georgia | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
Hello to you egads!
Happy Halloween!
That's a lovely idea - passing on your books to your nephew. I used to lend books but they never came back. I never thought of giving them away! (couldn't bear it!)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spinebreakers
posted Hide Post
Hey one and all!

Spinebreakers is Penguin's online book community in the UK and we absolutely love All Hallow's Read!

That's why this Halloween we're giving away 4 of Penguin's scariest books (Bram Stoker's Dracula, Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, The Anatomy of Ghosts by Andrew Taylor and Charlie Higson's The Fear) to the teen who can tell us the best scary campfire story here: http://bit.ly/nKhsoB

Please spread the word if you know any young people who'd be interested, last entries are on October 31st, there is no word count, whether it's a paragraph or a page we want to hear spine-chilling tales that will make us scream and sleep with the light on!

Thanks

Dwain and the Spinebreakers crew

For more info:
http://www.spinebreakers.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/spinebreakers
Spinebreakers Twitter: @spinebreakers

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spinebreakers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan Riss:
quote:
last entries are on October 31st

I am interested but I don't know exactly what's the procedure to be followed for getting registered...

No need to register for the Spinebreakers Halloween scary book giveaway competition!

All you need to do is type in your scariest campfire story directly onto the form at the botto of the page here: http://bit.ly/nKhsoB - OR alternatively you can just email your story in to hello@spinebreakers.co.uk

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just found out about you on Facebook!
Last year I gave out 40 second hand books to the children of Ottawa/Gatineau who have life threatening food allergies. I went to a local second hand store and picked them up for under $1.00 each.
Everything from board books to Edgar Allan Poe! The kids loved it! I have 10 books to hand out this year to very little kids and I might just dust off an favourite and give out some to the moms!
What a great opportunity to share my favs with others (and possibly get some new reads myself!)

Posts: 1 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: October 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see where Neil mentioned whether we can print off the non-top winning posters. I don't want to violate anyone's copyright. Although, it'd only be one or two to hang up at home or work.

So to be clearer, do we have the right to print off any of the poster *entries* that are also on the Flickr album of entries?

Posts: 14 | Location: 3 outside the skinny | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the Graveyard book. Big Grin

Posts: 8 | Registered: December 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post