Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  New Projects  Hop To Forums  All Hallow's Read    Ideas for celebrating AHR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for celebrating AHR?
 Login/Join

Picture of Dan Guy
posted
Are you making a book to give out? Are you creating a display at your library or book store? Are you hanging signs around the neighborhood encouraging others to participate in AHR?

Do you have ideas that you wish you could implement but cannot, but would be happy to see others do?

Posts: 51 | Location: D.C.-ish, USA | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you creating a display at your library?

Yes, and the scary book are flying off of it!

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2484 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the idea of All Hallows Read. What a brilliant way to bring Halloween and Reading together. I'm keeping the candy for myself this year!

I have a book blog and I'm promoting All Hallows Read by giving away 5 awesome scary books. I also encouraged my friends in the Book Bloggers Association on Facebook to help promote All Hallows Read. I hadn't been planning on running any Halloween promotions, but All Hallows Read is definitely something I can sink my teeth into. :-)

http://underwordsblog.com/2011...scary-book-giveaway/

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darla
posted Hide Post
I'm directing my 7th grade literature class as a Zombie/Reading/FlashMob. We are picking favorite scary short stories, dressing as Zombies then invading other unsuspecting classrooms, scare them with a horrifying tale and flee!

Posts: 1 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darla:
I'm directing my 7th grade literature class as a Zombie/Reading/FlashMob. We are picking favorite scary short stories, dressing as Zombies then invading other unsuspecting classrooms, scare them with a horrifying tale and flee!

Sweet!

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10977 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Guy:
Are you making a book to give out?

I'm not quite up to this, but will look out for scary books to give kids.

I used to help with reading when our kids were at primary school and the year 6's (age 10/11) absolutely LOVED the Goosebumps series. While not classics - I must admit to enjoying having them read to me by kids (some of them were terrifying!)

(the books, not the kids)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2662 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dreadful Tales
posted Hide Post
We're giving away some awesome books at our website in honor of All Hallow's Read.

Last year we gave books out to all of the kids we know, and gave our own little guys tons. We still do candy, but books always come into play. Smile

Here's the link: Dreadful Tales All Hallow's Read Giveaway http://dreadfultales.com/2011/...-hallows-read-plans/

Dreadful Tales - covering all aspects of horror in literature.

Posts: 1 | Location: Toronto | Registered: October 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LWhoScribbles
posted Hide Post
A bunch of friends and I are writing tiny, scary short stories to give trick-or-treaters in little construction paper books with candy. We're going to have a All Hallow's Read/ Halloween/ writing/ crafting/ story sharing party the Friday before just to get it all together. Big Grin

"You can't out lie me! I'm a writer! I lie for a living, you little punk!"

take this! *glomp* and that! *snuggle* and just for good measure! *pat on the head*
Spite the confused.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DiD: Sports spam? Really?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 3 | Location: sd | Registered: July 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the list of sites to blacklist.

Posts: 252 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scootie Pie
posted Hide Post
The truth is that everyone hates spammers.

Now me, I don't hate you, but I do pray you get leprosy.

Posts: 252 | Location: The Land of Awesome. Population: Not You | Registered: September 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Leprosy, that might go well with All Hallows Read if it's done just right.

As for MY idea, I feel like a nice way to compliment great literature is with fresh visual art. Maybe a nice way to stir up the cauldron would be to match several stories with several visual artists to see how much the interpretations of each differ from one another.

Then again, I've been cursed with the 'Art On The brain' disease for too long now to think of anything else, so OF COURSE I WOULD suggest something like this.
~duh.

I do art all of the time, so I am not interested in implementing this idea, but I would surely participate if something like this popped up.
As long as it doesn't involve SPORTS SPAM!

Maybe even allow readers to vote on which images best suited each chapter so that they would pay EXTRA SPECIAL attention to the text.

Of course this idea is worth about as much as the paper that it is being written upon.

(the first person to point out that this is NOT ACTUAL PAPER will receive a years worth of sports spam.) thanks.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm promoting All Hallow's Read again this year on my blog by giving away books. I've also linked back to Neil's video. If you're doing anything this year, let me know and I'll help send people your way.

Here's the link to the All Hallow's Read contest on Underwords: http://underwordspress.com/201...l-hallows-read-2012/

Cheers,
Erin

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed seeing Neil Gaiman heroically filling a Pullman shaped hole in the Cambridge theatre in London this week - and reading his new ghost story. So I celebrated Halloween by retelling the story at my storytelling club's night of scary stories. People in Cambridge are now worried about Gaiman's mental health and the whereabouts of his missing family member. Oops.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*Special Achievement Award Winner 2010* shines on like the stars
Picture of library lady
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed "Click Clack Rattle Bag". A wonderful Halloween gift.

+++
Life is too short to read a bad book.

Posts: 2484 | Location: Page 42 | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post