Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Chapter headings for Stardust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapter headings for Stardust
 Login/Join

Always the April Fool
Picture of Manxom Vroom
posted
I'm wondering about the chapter headings for Stardust, the ones that begin "In which..." They have a classic feel to them, and I'm sure that Neil must have borrowed the device from some other writer. What other book (or books) make use of this?

Posts: 10542 | Location: Detroit Rock City | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoggoth's Most Peculiar
Picture of denver
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they were common in late 19th (maybe early 20th) century Fantasy novels or something. I'm almost sure they were used in Erewhon by Samuel Butler (but I'm not at home so I can't check). I've seen them used a few times but I'm struggling to remember any actualy titles, sorry!

Posts: 3719 | Location: Edinburgh, UK | Registered: October 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
didn't L'Mort de Arthur do that too? A little summation of what happens in the chapter?

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoggoth's Most Peculiar
Picture of denver
posted Hide Post
Had a quick glance through some books tonight.

My copy of Erewhon doesn't have them but the sequel (Erewhon Revisited) does.

Amy, you're right, my copy of L'Mort D'Arthur has them, as does my copy of Don Quixote

Posts: 3719 | Location: Edinburgh, UK | Registered: October 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Wicked Little Critta
Picture of Mr. Chadtastic
posted Hide Post
Every chapter of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS by Jules Verne, started with "in which". I had wondered that about STARDUST too. I think it's an endearing way to bring the reader into the chapters.

-----------------------------
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery. Additional handling charges may be required.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Always the April Fool
Picture of Manxom Vroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody!

Posts: 10542 | Location: Detroit Rock City | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
I could imagine it's also connected to serialisation; starting off each episode in a newspaper or magazine with that sort of preview trailer whets your appetite and might also remind you of what happened before.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's actually an old tradition, both in fantasy novels and in other older forms of literature. Back in the day, chapters didn't have names as such, but numbers (e.g. Chapter the First, Chapter the Second, etc). If the chapter had anything besides a number, it would be a sort of summary of the chapter, traditionally beginning with the words "in which" or "wherein," and the like.

Nowadays it's fallen more by the wayside, and people mostly like to give chapters artsy names that have some sort of philosophical meaning in accordance with the content. Mostly, it's used by fantasy writers who want to give their work an 'old' feeling, a 'fairy-tale' quality (as was the case with Stardust), or a humorous tone (as was the case with Anansi Boys).

Now you know (and knowing is half the battle).
(G.I.Joe)

----------------------------------------------------

Visit my blog: support a not-starving artist.
<a href="http://thestoryboard.wordpress.com">The Storyboard</a>

Posts: 3 | Location: NY | Registered: July 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
I wondered whether George MacDonald did that too, but he actually does the - more modern? - thing of naming the chapters instead.

quote:
Originally posted by aitapata:
didn't L'Mort de Arthur do that too? A little summation of what happens in the chapter?

And you had me running off to check my copy (even though it's just a Czech translation) before I finished reading the thread and read denver's reply just under yours... and had me searching for it in my piles of books, mistaking it for Treasure of Sierra Madre, in spite of the latter being much thinner, wondering whether there was some kind of curse for unsearchable piles of books and a lack of bookshelves in a small house... and then I found it on a table; and yes, even the Czech translation has a Czech equivalent of "in which..." ("jak...", which is actually "how...", but it's the traditional thing to use) End of story.

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post