Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Great book, Poor movie.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great book, Poor movie.
 Login/Join

Picture of Regis
posted
i loved stardust book.

movie was poor. i do not say that there were not fine parts, fine ideas and scenes, but now, in time of perfect and cheap computer trics movie could be twice good as it was. i like movie adaptations of books, i loved LOTR movies, despite i am great fan of book. but stardust movie was ..... was poor.

de niro was great. all other actors were great. but great actors do not rise quality of script.

Emiel Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy

Redeemed Vampire

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the movie, a funny faery tale, don't take it so serious!

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Game Wizard
posted Hide Post
I watched the movie before I knew there was a book, and plus I was just finishing reading the Sandman comics (graphic novel volumes) and I heard that Neil had wrote the story behind the movie and didn't think that he wrote a book and it was turned into a movie because Beowulf was coming out the following year and I thought it was just another script he helped write. I went to see the movie and I loved it. I was 18-19 years old and saw this movie and felt like a kid again seeing this wonderful fantasy movie I never got even when I saw Narnia which was also wonderful.

--------~~~~~~~*******
When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What the hell am I supposed to do with these!? Demand to see Life's manager! Make Life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Posts: 275 | Location: Somplace where there is cake.....What do you mean the cake is a lie? | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of opeth
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the movie, but the novel is my most favorite Neil Gaiman book.

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opeth:
I haven't seen the movie, but the novel is my most favorite Neil Gaiman book.

So I take it you read the book version and not the original comic version with Charles Vess's art?

I don't think I would have like the story nearly as much without the art. I don't think there is any difference between the it and novel besides that.

I also was greatly disappointed by the movie. I seem to be in the minority around here though. Smile

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15867 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of screw
posted Hide Post
I actually give the movie a lot of credit, for stupid reasons, as I never even heard of Stardust, or even Neil Gaiman before seeing Stardust the movie. I thought it was okay at first, but then the story sucked me in, and I realised the lovely way it was poking fun at clishes at the same time ebracing them. I guess most of it was due to great source material, and I know they changed a great deal of stuff: but after all, movie scripts can not be taken directly from books. Of course, I love the book way more than the movie, but I still gotta thank it for introducing me to Neil himself.
So, the movie is no great piece of groundbreaking art, but it's definitely a wonderful thing to look at, despite of the now and then poor acting and some other annoyances, I found it funny and entertaining, and together with some cool visuals, that's a nice way of spending an evening.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
I got the novel and the Vess comics years ago, I'm watching the movie right now, and I have to agree, don't like this adaptation. Feels like a Greatest Hits reel on fast forward.

Posts: 2618 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie first before I actually got the chance to read the book. I liked the movie but not after I've read the book. But I guess that's how it is. Adaptations are merely based on the book's story with so much consideration on 'marketability' that it actually lost the magic there is. I guess we just need to lower our standards when watching adaptations of our fave novels. A less than 2-hour movie is not enough to capture the intensity of emotions contained in the book.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the film before I read the book, and for some reason didn't even click that it was a Neil Gaiman creation.

I loved the film. I got about 5 minutes in and I had a big smile on my face knowing I was going to thoroughly enjoy the whole thing.

Having said that, I read the book afterwards and, while the film is great, I could understand why you wouldn't like it if you'd read the book first. The book was deeper and more poignant - I preferred the book's ending, with the Star ruling the kingdom steadfastly on her own.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the original poster. I first read the book and truly loved it, and then was quite excited to hear that a movie was being made based on it. Even though the movie was alright, I was pretty let down overall.

Of course this is just me, but some of my favorite moments from the book wasn't part of the film and my favorite character was left out all together as well. It's been a long time now since I've read it, but it's the little hairy fellow with the huge backpack! He made me laugh out loud pretty good. I was mainly excited about the movie just so I could see him. Hehe.

But like Carlo said above, a 2-hour movie is not near long enough to capture how awesome the book is.

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sjoerd3000
posted Hide Post
I first watched the movie before I read the book. And while I think the movie wasn´t bad I think the book is much better.
Liked the ending of the book more too

HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE

Posts: 19 | Location: Groningen, The Netherlands | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by screw:
I actually give the movie a lot of credit, for stupid reasons, as I never even heard of Stardust, or even Neil Gaiman before seeing Stardust the movie. I thought it was okay at first, but then the story sucked me in, and I realised the lovely way it was poking fun at clishes at the same time ebracing them. I guess most of it was due to great source material, and I know they changed a great deal of stuff: but after all, movie scripts can not be taken directly from books. Of course, I love the book way more than the movie, but I still gotta thank it for introducing me to Neil himself.
So, the movie is no great piece of groundbreaking art, but it's definitely a wonderful thing to look at, despite of the now and then poor acting and some other annoyances, I found it funny and entertaining, and together with some cool visuals, that's a nice way of spending an evening.

You just echoed my sentiments exactly! Big Grin

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the book in probably close to 10 years now, so i could be wrong, but i honestly don't remember DeNiro's character in the book, even with a different name

that's what pissed me off about the movie, well that and the fact that Claire Danes is so bloody vapid throughout it

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Movie was entertaining, but of course a pale shadow of the book,, which i thought was truly magical.
expecting something always leads to disappointment. viewed in a different light, it
was not a terrible expression of the book.

Posts: 2 | Location: ashland, wi, usa | Registered: March 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Regis:
i loved stardust book.

movie was poor.

I could not disagree more. Smile

Stardust is one of my favorite movies! I think I may love it a little more than it deserves, actually. It’s right up there with The Princess Bride for me. They both send me to a happy place. I only wish I had seen it on the big screen. If I had realized it was a Gaiman story, I would have FOUND the money! But I didn’t, sad to say.

Anyway, while both book and movie were wonderful, I think I prefer the film. Mostly because the ending fit the story better, imo. Stardust is a grand, epic fairy tale, and I liked the grand, epic finale. The book’s ending was sweet, but quiet.

Also, the visuals were perfect and breathtaking, and the all-important casting was spot on. Always love love LOVE Michelle Pfeiffer (I watched Grease 2 for that woman!), and DeNiro was hilariously unrecognizable. I’m not sure who had the idea to make him an uber-campy closeted drag queen, but I thought it was brilliant! (Though I have to wonder where the hell he got Tristan’s hair extensions!) It’s rare that my queer-pride-flag-waving self finds such a character funny as opposed to offensive, so I cherish it when done right. Everyone was just perfect for their role.

YMMV (and obviously does!)

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I thought that avatar looked familiar - I last saw it in the Stardust thread on Ravelry Smile

I really loved the bits of the movie that were the same as the book. Didn't love most of the changes, except for DeNiro's Captain - those changes were brilliant.

But, having the family members at the end? Having the whole thing happen in a week? Not having the week with two Mondays? bah.

The book is by far my favourite version. I watched the movie once and could cheerfully live with never seeing it again.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25172 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maeve:
I thought that avatar looked familiar - I last saw it in the Stardust thread on Ravelry Smile

A fellow Raveler? Awesome! Knit, crochet, or both?

quote:
I really loved the bits of the movie that were the same as the book. Didn't love most of the changes, except for DeNiro's Captain - those changes were brilliant.

But, having the family members at the end? Having the whole thing happen in a week? Not having the week with two Mondays? bah.

The book is by far my favourite version. I watched the movie once and could cheerfully live with never seeing it again.

Well, mileage does vary. I do agree about the timeframe, but that's my only quibble with the adaptation.

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read the book and the comic and I have the movie. I think all three are AMAZING ^_^
(This was my first work of Neil's to read, so I may be partial to it Razz)

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PinkRaindrop
posted Hide Post
I Really loved both equally, which is rare for most people. And the reason i think it was that way for me is because of the fact that they purposely didnt try to keep the storyline the same as the book. Because often the movie doesnt live up to the books standards.

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the movie after reading the book.It was okay.But if made comparison between the book and the movie,I will go with the book.

Posts: 1 | Location: Bannerman Ave Winnipeg, MB | Registered: September 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post