Find
Notify
Tools

Casting
 Login/Join

has a partial eclipse of the heart
Picture of Silk Underground
posted
Several people have mentioned the casting so I thought it would be nice for the topic to have its own thread....because I thought it was mostly excellent.

Favourite bit of casting: Charlie Cox was amazing. So lovable and really smoothed out some kinks in the movie, to me. Don't think it could have possibly been so believable without him.

-Captain Silky, Queen of the Heartless Bitches

YAHR! (by popular demand)

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Xine
posted Hide Post
The only nice thing I have to say about Claire Danes is that she managed to keep her accent, whatever that was, throughout the movie. Yay for that?

Oh, I loved absolutely everyone else, especially Charlie Cox.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Xine,

Posts: 9275 | Registered: November 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bahahaha

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Say what you will about everyone else but there's no screwing with Billy. Mark Evans was awesome.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Billy was just brilliant! Ricky Gervais was an amusing addition. Sort of cliche, but fun.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One smooth moll
Picture of Flapper
posted Hide Post
oh yes! billy was so great! i also liked rupert everett's befuddlement when he was looking out the window--funny, but then again all the brothers were really good. and also (i dont remember if i have said this before in here, but i have said it in other places Wink) being able to see robert deniro dancing around in a frilly petticoat is damn near worth the price of admission for its sake alone! i really did think everyone was great, but ol' billy stands out just coz he was cute and so amusing!

and i did think that claire danes was good, i liked her better in this than in any other thing of hers that i have seen. but for me the best part of the incidentals of the movie was some of the beautiful costumes (not to go off topic but costumes build character and to me they are part of the cast of the film--did that make any sense at all? prolly not. once again i am floating high on percocet Wink) and the silver dress the star is wearing when first she falls--beautiful gown!

------------------------------
i'd rather be crazy than boring

Posts: 338 | Location: up a tree without a paddle | Registered: June 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I have to join on Flapper's tangent (s'not totally a hijack Smile ) The clothes! Oh the costumes were just amazing! Gorgeous colours, everything fit so well. The town and those sets were amazing too. Everything looked just like it should and Stormhold was brilliant!

OK, so like Flapper said, it's not Casting, exactly, but should we start a whole new topic for stuff like this?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quite liked the costumes, too (ohhh yes Yvaine's dress was amazing...) but the scenery was the best! it looked just great. The whole time the movie was going my dad kept going "this looks like Scotland." I told him it was but he insisted on staying til the end of the credits to find out. *sigh*

posted Hide Post
I heart Charlie Cox (but I've hearted him for a while now...)

But I wish, wish, wish that they had found someone better than Clare Danes. She was good in this, but maybe another actress could have been great? (Then again, I loved her monologue with the dormouse).

It's like loitering, but mean. -- Jon Stewart on lurking

Posts: 141 | Location: "east williamsburg" | Registered: August 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen him before but I just thought he was perfect for the part! really made it a lovable character

posted Hide Post
Loved Claire Danes. She broke through the expected mold of a distressed damsel and came across as a more real sort of woman.

She did a wonderful job. If there was something one didn't like about Claire Danes, then it was something you didn't like about Yvaine, because Claire WAS Yvaine. Yvaine wasn't supposed to be a bombshell like Scarlett Johannsen or a vapid sort of babe like one of the Jessicas. Yvaine is strong, annoyed, and sharp-tongued. She is not the love-at-first-sight type. Claire Danes was perfect. I have never been a fan of hers (nothing against her, just indifferent), but if she walked in here at this moment with a Babylon candle, I'd go with her. THAT is how good she was.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Dread Pirate Roberts,

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MirrimZ
posted Hide Post
Charlie Cox was ideal for the role of Tristran, and I liked Claire Danes for Yvaine, altho the scene in which she declares her love for Tristran had her face crumbling a little too much to not be painful. I liked DeNiro, but was a little annoyed by his cross-dressing dancing scene to have so overwhelmed many other parts of the movie. (It was what everyone was talking about as I left the theatre.) I also thought the actor who played Septimus was fantastic, strong enough to match Michelle Pfeifer, for example.
I can only hope that Gaiman's other upcomgin movies are going to be as well-cast!

Posts: 6 | Location: LaLaLand, NY | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The princes were spot-on. I was so disappointed that the hilarious Rupert Everett didn't have a more prominent part...his cockiness in the beginning was wonderful, I would've loved to see more of him in that character.

posted Hide Post
Yeah - just what was Clare Danes's accent meant to be, any guesses?

Does anyone know where it was filmed? I'm thinking Scotland or the Yorkshire Moors but it could just have easily been New Zealand...

Loved the casting in general but the inclusion of three members of the Green Wings cast was inspired! But where was the funny dark, curly-haired one? He would have made an awesome ghost too.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it was filmed in Scotland & Iceland.

I dunno about Danes' accent, but she was a star...so she really should've had a star accent. whatever accent that is Razz

posted Hide Post
live in [url=http:link removed]Los Angeles[/url] , saw the movie when i came down on vacation. thought the movie was great as well, loved billy and robert deniro. one of my favorites saw it again when i went back to [url=http://link removed.php]Los Angeles[/url]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aitapata,

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post