Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Similiarties between Stardust and Hayao Miyazaki's films?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Similiarties between Stardust and Hayao Miyazaki's films?
 Login/Join

posted
I just watched Stardust and I found this movie is so much similar the Hayao Miyazaki's films! There are so many, even the storyline is similar. Be more specific, the hilarious and joyful airship pirates are a dead set give-away (see Miyazaki's Laputa, the castle in the sky). I love it so much. I found all these similarities, did a little search online, then I realised that Mr. Gaiman did the English adaptation of Princess Mononoke, one of Hayao Miyazaki's!

Anyone have watched Hayao Miyazaki's films? I read that Mr. Gaiman has actually visited Mr. Miyazaki. So is this an intentional thing?

And lastly, I found this quote from Mr. Gaiman on a Miyazaki's funsite: "Before I was a vague anime fan. Now I am still a vague anime fan but now I am a huge Miyazaki fan".

Cheers!

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a little search on Miyazaki on this forum, whoa... It looks like its intentional. From a Miyazaki's fan's point of view, I testified that I can see connections here and there.

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
Hello tailshk and welcome to the board.

I'm one of the moderators here, the others are aitapata (who's our technical administrator) and dweller in darkness. Once you're read our FAQ we'd love you to make yourself at home here - most of the social chit chat takes place in Worlds End and I'm sure you'll find plenty of like-minded people there. If you have any problems or questions, feel free to PM or email us.

And your right, there is a HUGE miyazaki fan base here, myself not least amongst them. Living the in the UK i haven't seen stardust yet - but your likening to mayazaki films has just made me want to see it one little bit more than the already enormous bit i already wanted to. Big Grin

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Gaiman is indeed a fan of Miyazaki, and of course he wrote the English version of Mononoke. I can see the similarity you're talking about, but I suspect the origin more comes from the current popularity of pirates right now and the presence of airships in Neil's original story (which lacked sky pirates). You may want to research Jane Goldman to see if she's a Miyazaki fan too since she wrote the script to the film

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suite Madame Blue
posted Hide Post
Look for the Totoro in the illustrated version of Stardust.

OK, I can't find it anywhere in my copy, but it was in one of the market scenes, and I thought it was toward the begnning. I'll look some more, but can someone back me up on this?

EDIT: Well crap, I got the right artist, but the wrong book! Charles Vess drew 2 Totoros in the Fairyland marketplace in the Books of Magic, Chapter 3. The only thing that looks vaguely Totoro-like in Stardust is hanging up behind the woman selling eyes. And you only see its back.

Sorry about that. I should know by now to never post when I'm tired.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Suite Madame Blue,

Member of the Spider Liberation Front (Free free, set them free)

Posts: 619 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
Upper left corner, Totoro is walking away with Kiki on his shoulder

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suite Madame Blue
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh, you're right! It was so subtle I missed that one. Thanks!

Member of the Spider Liberation Front (Free free, set them free)

Posts: 619 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cappy Meriweather
posted Hide Post
When I saw the movie, Stardust, the pirate ship reminded me of Miyazaki, without a doubt. He certainly likes to incorporate sky and flight into his work. In fact, one of the things I love so much about Miyazaki's films are the great attention to detail and the beautiful skies and clouds.

."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.ºoº... ºoº."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.ºoº...ºoº."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money.
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!'

Posts: 65 | Location: The Corner of My Room | Registered: June 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post