Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    A fall of stardust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A fall of stardust
 Login/Join

posted
I just found out about "A fall of stardust" is there still a way to get this book?

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't know, it's a folio that contains a chapbook, that contains a prologue to stardust. It was sold briefly, and I can't find it anywhere.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Someone is selling it via Amazon for $350.00.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Wow... Is it that rare? Then I'm extra-happy I decided to get it when I saw it in a shop years ago! (I doubted coz I already had the Spanish version).

I can't help you, zhirrzh, I'm afraid I'm not that savvy about comicbook hunting...

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Zhirzzh, I hope you're still around...
I just remembered that I saw this beautiful edition of Stardust, illustrated version, hardcover (new cover art from Charless Vess too!) and I *think* that it included the material from A Fall of Stardust at the end. I know it's not a great piece of info, but you might want to go to your local geeky bookshop and check that...

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
A Fall Of Stardust was a portfolio printed to raise funds to cover medical costs after Vess' wife was in a car accident (this was many years ago, late 1990s). Around 30 artists made images for it, and two chapbooks were included with short stories. The 30 images have not been reprinted. Wall: A Prologue was the short story by Neil which has now been reprinted several times. The Duke Of Wellington Loses His Horse was the second short story, and the reason A Fall Of Stardust is so expensive now. It was either the first or a very early piece by Susanna Clarke, and as soon as Strange & Norrel became popular, everyone jacked up the price of the portfolio. The short story was reprinted in The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror the same year as the portfolio came out and is also collected in Clarke's The Ladies Of Grace Adieu.

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also a second even rarer version of this portfolio. Its been so long I only have vague memories of it and the details but I think it had one extra art print (who the artist was I don't remember but Aragones sounds right). Story was that this piece of art didn't make the deadline for publishing so they printed it after the initial order had been filled and it was offered as a special exclusive from the CBLDF I think or it may have been someone else's exclusive like Greenman Press? Anyone who can fill in my vague memories would be appreciated. I always intended to get this version but never did...dumb me but I do have the original...somewhere...

Posts: 194 | Location: Winston-Salem, NC, USA | Registered: June 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up, the missing illustration was by Sergio Aragones (of Groo and Mad Magazine fame). It was given to people who order the portfolio directly from Todd's Greenman Press. I don't know if CBLDF ever offered it. It's worth around $15 or around $100 depending on the seller.

Posts: 20 | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
by the by, all my copies of this portfolio have small tears in the cover near the spine. I believe this is a printer error in all the copies and should not detract from it's value. I'm sure there are people who think it's shelfwear, but in my experience, it's not.

Posts: 20 | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post