New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reading list?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,
I'm new to Gaiman (unless you count Good Omens), having just seen Stardust last week. Loved it and went straight online to order it. Was wondering if anyone could suggest a reading order for me of Neil's other books? Considering that I enjoyed the film, and like fairy tales, and comic fantasy.
Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
hi batty

i'm glad you made it to the boards, and for reading recomendations i'd suggest you try this thread... here.

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I've read Neverwhere and American Gods. I recommend them both highly. Since Gaiman's book aren't serial in nature, I don't think it really matters what order you read them in. Sandman is another issue, of course, but I have personally only read a couple of the Sandman graphic novels, so I can't really comment on them.

o===]======> </end post> <======[===o

"True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind, the fool is obstinate, and doubts not. He knows all things but his own ignorance."
-Akhenaten

Posts: 13 | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
The Books of Magic. Spin-offs of those, inspired by but not actually [penned by Mr Gaiman, The Books of Faerie. American Gods, if you enjoy mythology, especially Norse. Sandman - I'd say they're essential reding for everyone on the planet. Short story collections: Angels and Visitations, Smoke and Mirrors, Fragile Things, all of which have some fantasy stories. Of all Mr Gaiman's works though, I think the one that constitutionally bears the closest resemblance to Stardust is the graphic novel The Dream Eaters (working from memory here, I may be wrong about that title) which is a beautifully wrought and illustrated Japanese love story between a monk and a fox. Need I say more?

cause and effect:
the best often die by their own hand just to get away, and those left behind can never quite understand why anybody
would ever want to get away
from them.
Charles Bukowski Septuagenarian Stew

Posts: 243 | Location: lies to the east of Eden | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Neverwhere... have you read it or heard about it? It's the first book I ever read by Neil Gaiman! It is awesome! Razz

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Helena Campbell
posted Hide Post
Neverwhere is wonderful!

Posts: 14 | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post