Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Stardust: The Movie
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stardust: The Movie
 Login/Join

Tori lookalike contest winner, 2001
Picture of Ophelia's Vengeance
posted Hide Post
A-ha! I *knew* it! I told Silky that Billy was none other than Mister Arthur Weasley.

more on Silk's and I's adventure that was seeing Stardust when I'm less tired..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The World's End.. as Sims!

Posts: 12393 | Location: Bowie's Pants | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a partial eclipse of the heart
Picture of Silk Underground
posted Hide Post
that was an exciting night out, all around...I'm running around too much to give a review/tell the story of our evening but when I get time I will...unless OV gets to it first...

-Captain Silky, Queen of the Heartless Bitches

YAHR! (by popular demand)

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nomad/Nightwing/Winter Soldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a!tapata:
quote:
Originally posted by GMZoe:
Otherwise you lost the Hairy man and the Tori tree, neither of which I felt were too large of losses.

BLASPHEMER!! Razz

Gotta go with my board twin on this one. I really missed the exchange between the Hariy Man and Tristan when they were talking about Victoria.
Also, the fact that they replaced the tree with the stars made me wonder why they knew what happened to the last star but Yvaine didn't really seem to get it.
Pfeiffer was fabulous.
De Niro was sort of eh... had his moments.
I'll probably have my thoughts a little straighter as the day goes on.

The (I give it an 8 out of 10) Scott

Posts: 189 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scramble
posted Hide Post
Saw it yesterday. For the most part, I liked it. I can't judge it as an adaptation of the book, because it really wasn't one. As a stand-alone movie, though, I don't think it was entirely successful. At certain times, I found the dialog to be a bit trite, and I was puzzled by the coronation scene at the end. It's a little too neat and simple a closure, and I can't decide if it really fits the rest of the movie, or if I'm just being picky because it's completely unlike the characters in the book.

Like practically everyone else, however, I did like Lamia's and Captain Shakespeare's appearances. The dead princes were funny, though I much preferred the live princes' exploits.

And on a completely unrelated note, I want the coat Tristan got from Capt. Shakespeare.

Swing it, Brother, Swing.

Posts: 96 | Location: Below my hair | Registered: June 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
badger, yahr, badger, escher
Picture of daysleeper [if I'm lucky]
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeZee:

Billy!

yes, forgot him Big Grin
he was very funny

Posts: 8216 | Location: georgia | Registered: November 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some gripes off the top of my head:

- Dunstan and Lady Una getting together in the beginning was SO rushed.

- Excluding the little hairy man was crazy! He added so much to the story.

- I thought Yvaine and Tristran fell in love way too fast. And she was too nice to him towards the end!

- The ninja wall guard? Come on. It was much better done in the story.

- I loved Robert DeNiro in the film. He is always a top class actor, but I thought his character was WAY too overblown. In the book he says something like "you know, our meeting wasn't exactly by chance. We've been looking for you. You have a lot of people interested in seeing you succeed." Or something like that. I don't have the book on me. But I loved the idea of a sort of 'fraternity' of people in Fairy who were interested in Tristran and were looking out for him. A 'network' of sorts.

- They didn't emphasize the festival enough.

- The ending in the Witch's home was completely overblown and nothing like the book. It was filled with movie cliche's and took the spirit of Neil Gaiman out of it.

- I felt the movie just lacked the MAGIC and MYSTIQUE or Neil's writing. Reading his work is like being in a fantastic dream - this movie felt like normal Hollywood fare.

- Why couldn't they have made the Tree talk to Tristran instead of the stars? That would have made Fairy feel more 'alive'.

That's a few off the top of my head. I had a lot of other gripes, but those are a few good ones for now.

Posts: 5 | Registered: August 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did something right
Picture of Big Flinchy!
posted Hide Post
The theater was packed. This makes me hopeful that the movie will do well.

I thought the movie achieved what it was aimed to do - tell an amusing fairy tale.

I wasn't a huge fan of the book (though I enjoyed the graphic novel - a LOT is lost without the artwork), and I thought the changes from the book made it a better movie. The acting and characterizations (with the notable exception, in my mind, of Ninja Guard) fit the flavor of the movie well. A lot of movies seem confused as to what they want to be, or what they want to achieve - this movie feels like the creators had a vision of what they wanted, and everything from the actors to the visuals to the characterization changes from the source material were made to fit that vision.

----
My baby is cuter than your baby!

Posts: 12870 | Registered: February 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tongster:
.... this movie feels like the creators had a vision of what they wanted, and everything from the actors to the visuals to the characterization changes from the source material were made to fit that vision.

Absolutely, which is a very good thing IMO.

Hey Immocation, was there anything you liked or did you go see it to pick it apart? Your entire emphasis is on gripes.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you know, Immocation, I suggest next time a book you like is made into a film, you just not see it. because movies aren't books, and they CAN'T be. things HAVE to change, whether you like it or not.

if you'll turn around I'll be more than happy to pull out whatever it is that's rammed up your butt Big Grin

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Silky, let's not turn it into Flame Wars (unless you go to Flame Wars) Wink

~Joe

Posts: 24395 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself Big Grin I was TRYING to be nice by assisting, right? Razz

I can agree with some of the gripes, but griping about the movie not being the book is just silly...

Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
That would be a silly thing to flame about it.

I already have a gripe about the movie and I haven't even seen it yet : I wish Tori had been the tree, and from what I gather, the tree isn't even in there! I'm all ready to be bitter about that for a very long time.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
Well, good to have your bitternesses prepped ahead of time then. Razz

Not going in with an open mind and just letting it unfold?

My problem with the kind of griping that Immocation is doing is not just because it's not the same as the book, even if it were they would somehow have to match the pictures playing in your head as you read.

Not going to happen. Not ever.

Nor should it. It would be a one-person show then.

Also, when the gripes are polished, rehearsed and the griper is so inordinately proud of them.
There really was nothing "off the top of my head" about them.

I mean....yippee Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BeeZee,

~Joe

posted Hide Post
thank you Beezee. that's exactly how I feel.

Wild horses did drag her away, once - long story
Picture of the madness of queen monk
posted Hide Post
I was quite skeptical (Silky, I often *don't* got to movies based on books I like for the very reasons you mentioned above) but in the end, my eleven-year-old swayed me to go. Three of us from the house went and I ended up really enjoying it. Were there parts that annoyed me? Well, sure, of course. But there were parts that delighted me greatly and the landscape was so beautiful. I can highly recommend it, and I'm pretty tough to please usually. Smile Go see it! It's fun.

"this whole blonde doctor situation has me mortified"
---
and I don't normally advocate music I love, but go see www.myspace.com/umbrellatree and thank me later!

Posts: 1540 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
I didn't know what to think when I came in, but I knew I wanted to see it very badly. And I was very surprised, and delighted by it. And I loved the differences -- vive la difference. (probably the last time you will ever hear me attempt French btw)

And I know the story only from the prose novel version. I never saw the graphic novel or read it (though I can get it from my library). But overall, it was most enjoyable, the theatre was packed and I loved it. Smile

Big Grin

Posts: 6054 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
I felt it was missing some personality. It didnt seem like any of the characters were as well developed as they were in the book. Tristans adventure should have been longer and more magical. I think. I dunno. I realize they wanted to play up the romance bit, but it just seemed unlikely. I wish they would have more interchange back and fourth. More name calling. The stuff that happens pre meeting victoria really took the sting off it for me.

It was extremely funny though. Deniro was a riot.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gelfling
posted Hide Post
I took my boyfriend to see the film last night. I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman and Stardust is my most favoritest book, having read it at least 10 times I was all too excited for this film. Well I noticed the changes but they didn't make me upset, the changes worked. I enjoyed the film and think it was beautifully done! I will be purchasing the DVD for sure! My boyfriend who is a big tough guy and completely manly loved the film, he said it was the best he had seen this year! He was not looking forward to going, I had to drag him there, but now he would like to see it again!!! VICTORY! LOL!

Posts: 4 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the movie very much, it was fun.

I knew I was taking a chance reading the book before seeing the movie, but I'm glad I did. I was definitely able to separate the book from the movie in my head - much more successfully than when I saw Order of the Phoenix - and it gave me a little more background or depth or something.

It's odd, during DeNiro's fan-dancing scene I started thinking it was over the top, but when his scenes were over I though, yeah, it needed to be. So I'm torn. I'll just have to see it again to decide.

When it was over I wanted to tell the women I was with how the book ended and why I thought the book ending was so much better blah blah, but none of them had read the book so I bit my tongue.

I think they edited out a lot of stuff at the end and made it a little too pat - although I sensed some tongue-in-cheek about it.

Book/movie spoiler: the book's ending reminded me of the ending of LOTR, with Aragorn living to a ripe old age but Arwen surviving and saddened/yearning. The thought of Tristran and Yvaine, in the movie, living to a happy ripe old age and then becoming stars in the sky via the Babylon candle made me happy - and reminded me of the end of Diana Wynne Jones' Dogsbody. [/spoiler]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Weeble,

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mirakuru Co
posted Hide Post
I want to see it, but in France the movie is not playing anywhere until 24 October 2007. But I wonder why they haven't kept the original title Stardust? The translated book has this title, but the movie is renamed Le mystère de l'étoile, is it to say "Star Mystery"... strange, isn't it?

Posts: 10 | Registered: April 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post