Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Sorry but i didn't love Stardust
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry but i didn't love Stardust
 Login/Join

salad, hold the hummus.
Picture of Bean
posted
I just finished reading Stardust last night and i didn't love it. Neverwhere is one of my favourite books ever and i was hoping that Stardust would be just as good if not better... but it wasn't. It seemed rushed as if Neil had a deadline he had to meet and just ploughed through it.

Posts: 710 | Location: A slightly better place | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Did you read the novel or the illustrated version? I haven't read the novel, I'm very unwilling to do so, coz the story was, after all, conceived as an illustrated story and it works beautifully with Vess's pictures. Without them, I imagine you can't help expect to read a novel, and be cheated that you got a little tale.
But with the pictures it's like when you read picture books as a kid, only withan adult twist.

So I recommend checking out the illustrated version. That said, you don't have to love everything Smile

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yahr, fear the power of the elf-man!
Picture of Lan Martak
posted Hide Post
OK
I am posting way after the fact but I agree with cloverheart.
I have also avoided the novel. I can't imagine the piece without Charles Vess's art.
The story and illustrations work very well together.

------------------------------
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Posts: 15884 | Location: The Cenotaph road and Oh-Hi-Oh | Registered: October 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved the Vess illustrations.

I'm not a huge fan of the film, though. I'm possibly not the target demographic, but it felt to me that in aiming for that PG-13 crowd it was too adult for kids and too juvenile for adults. By splitting the difference I think they lost both. The movie grossed just about half of its budget domestically (US) without counting M&A spend. The rest of the world gross did very little to offset this shortcoming, as did home video.
I also thought that Claire Danes was perhaps a little too old, or (forgive me) not-quite-attractive-enough to be convincing in that role. I loved her in "My So Called Life" and "Romeo & Juliette" and if this film had been made in 1996, she would have been perfect but I think if they were going to surf in her age range now they might have hired Marly Shelton instead, who would have been a better foil for Sienna Miller.

Posts: 28 | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cappy Meriweather
posted Hide Post
I read the novel and LOVED the fact that it was written as an adult fairytale. It did feel a bit rushed after about the first half. But still, it was an enjoyable read.
The movie version was okay but I certainly wasn't blown-away by it. My family enjoyed it and they hadn't read the book.

."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.ºoº... ºoº."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.ºoº...ºoº."¢:*¨¨*:"¢.
The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money.
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!'

Posts: 65 | Location: The Corner of My Room | Registered: June 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Lost Singer of ABBA
Picture of moni
posted Hide Post
as i first watched the movie, I enjoyed it. in retrospect though, after reading the illustrated book, I think they overdid it with the gay pirate and the ending was too much of a forced happy one. I like that in the book, although they have a happy life with each other, they aren't eternally happy. umm.. that sounds like i don't like happy endings.. i do but only if they aren't obviously forced ones

Posts: 633 | Location: my sofa, austria | Registered: December 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DreaMii
posted Hide Post
Hi. This is my first post here but I've being reading the blog (daily or twice or thrice a day) for most of 2008. I've read nearly everything of Neil's, or at least as much as I can get my hands on, and Stardust (along with Neverwhere) was perhaps the most underwhelming. I read the novel, not the illustrated version and felt it something of a poor cousin to my favourite ever book, The Princess Bride. But reading these posts here makes me realise that I should have read the Illustrated Edition instead. I agree with Moni that the film wasn't a good rendition, but then none of Neil's work has been put up well on the big screen, has it?

(By the way, my favourite novel is American Gods, with The Sandman second by the slimmest of margins.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DreaMii,

Posts: 17 | Location: (Sings) A World Of Pure Imagination | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thomas
posted Hide Post
Heck, I did not like The Graveyard book all that much. This is not to say the book was poorly written. In fact, to many, its their first introduction to Mr Gaiman's works. Not a bad introduction at all. For me, Graveyard book, does feels similar to what the OP stated about Stardust. So I can see her point Not every book is going to engage everyone the same way

4 out of three people have trouble understanding fractions

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thomas
posted Hide Post
I should add, that, personally, i Loved Stardust... both books and the film

4 out of three people have trouble understanding fractions

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freelance metaphor inspector
Picture of JP
posted Hide Post
Just going to echo Clover and Lan - the graphic novel rendition (the original) was my introduction to it, and I LOVED that. Haven't made it through the novel at all, don't suspect I ever will. The movie, I enjoyed it enough on its own merits, but I have an easier time of that than some, I guess. They're different, so I don't bother comparing the two, and I thought the movie was an enjoyable romp of its own story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my tumblr

Posts: 22785 | Location: here | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cassie
posted Hide Post
I must say this is one of my favorite novels of Neil's that I've read. I thought it was wonderful and just up my alley. The movie wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't too bad.

Posts: 6 | Location: Suburbs of Minneapolis, MN | Registered: March 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haha i love it very much ,i'm chinese,first come to here ,i think its a good video ,just i think ,very romantic ,beatiful ,unforgettable .
if who can tell me another film like this ,i will thanks him~~ Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Lars
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a great book. The movie wasn't terrible, but they ruined the ending. I thought the witch just wasting away, when they went a different way home was a great touch. They had to have a great confrontation in the movie, Hollywood fight scene. Too bad they couldn't trust the source material.

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post