Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Stardust: A Blooper or Intentional??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stardust: A Blooper or Intentional??
 Login/Join

Picture of serenity5306
posted
Ok, so of course I loved the movie; it was incredible.

But, there is one thing buggin' me and I hope you can help me out. I've seen it twice and saw this listed on IMDB as a mistake, "plot hole."

Michele Pfeifer was of course degrading as the plot went along, appearing to her sisters via a mirror as she was degrading. There was one scene, though, when she was suddenly back to normal, when her sisters were warning her of impending doom.

I'm hoping someone can justify it for me. The only thing I can possibly think of is that there was a scene after this that showed her using magic to try and correct her face; so maybe she used it temporarily to restore herself for an instant. The scene and restoration of her beauty is so blatant that I almost can't imagine it being overlooked. I mean, do they not watch the film before they release it?

Ok, please help!

Posts: 3 | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think she'd been giving herself magical nips and tucks. As her sisters pointed out, they weren't helping much, so she eventually gave up and resorted to a bad wig.

Posts: 116 | Registered: February 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
When exactly in the movie is this? (I checked IMDB and it didn't say either) Is it around when she made Ferdy the fence talk only like animals? If so, she had changed, but was covering her face so you couldn't see half of it.

(of course, without rewatching the movie and looking for it, I can't say for sure, and I think that will wait for when the DVD comes out)

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of serenity5306
posted Hide Post
Did her sisters point that out? For some reason I don't remember that. But yeh, I think youre right Daniel. Even at the scene where she kills Dit Water Sal (sp), she looked a little better than we she has covered her face before. They couldn't have explained it better though, but instead the scene is officiall listed as a plot hole on IMDB

has a partial eclipse of the heart
Picture of Silk Underground
posted Hide Post
I saw this the first time I watched it! but then the second time I saw it, I didn't notice...so maybe we're crazy, I dunno...I thought it was blaringly obvious and totally out of sync!

-Captain Silky, Queen of the Heartless Bitches

YAHR! (by popular demand)

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed it. It was when she was riding in the carriage and just pulled out a clump of hair, then she's talking to the sisters and they tell her she's being followed. When Lamia says, "A witch? A warlock?" her hair is totally back to normal.

No big deal but I think it probably IS a blooper.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I got the impression that she was continually making adjustments and using up her power as she did so.

I guess I need to see it again to be sure Smile

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of serenity5306
posted Hide Post
Yeh, I think the scene was almost too obvious to have been intentional; therefore, I think that the incident could have been saying how vain she was, trying to hold onto her beauty with no luck. All of the scenes where she was in a mirror, she had blemishes on her skin. For that not to have been intentional, the editors would have to have been stupid

posted Hide Post
but there's also at the end when she's cackling in all her hideousness, and you can see Michelle's perfectly bleached molars at the back...that's not intentional!

Posts: 4966 | Location: Suburbian Washington, DC | Registered: February 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
You only noticed it because your dad's a dentist Razz

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24396 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BAHAHAHA ok maybe...but still, it was way obvious!!!

posted Hide Post
I noticed the scene as well. Most likely a blooper. I remember when I first saw Fellowship of The Ring, there was a scene with a car driving across the back ground. And in The two Towers a sword fell out of Eomer's sheath.

Posts: 5 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed this the 2nd time I watched the movie. Definitely a blooper. I wondered if it was just too late to reshoot the scene or something because it is pretty obvious (although I did miss it the first time so there you go).

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to vote that it was a blooper. A very silly one to make though. I just don't see how that could have been intentional. I bet the film makers are kicking themselves over that mistake.

Posts: 3 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I picked up on it as well. I'm not sure if it's a blooper or if there was supposed to be a scene just before it that showed her making a magical nip-and-tuck that was cut out. So, less blooper and more scene that didn't make sense once the diting was done. Regardless, definitely a flaw in the film, but a fairly minor one.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post