Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Stardust is Fantastic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stardust is Fantastic
 Login/Join

posted
I just saw Stardust and loved it--some differences from the book, but the spirit was the same and it was wonderful. I'm glad I not only dragged my boyfriend along (if we haven't seen Harry Potter yet, why now when we can support the Stardust opening weekend.?.), but also called others as soon as I got out to rave. I'll try to send co-workers that direction next weekend. Great movie!

Posts: 1 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: August 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had totally forgotten joining this forum. And although I had read reviews of Stardust I (blush) did not connect the two before I received the email re the movie. I called my twin sister and we went together this afternoon.
Loved it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Berkeley,CA,USA | Registered: July 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You betcha Stardust is fantastic! I saw it this afternoon. Michelle Pfieffer was good (why do all the reveiws say how great she is to look ugly when it's part of the role? she would have been willing to do that when she signed up for it! More Hollywood addiction to beauty...)
but I did think that Robert De Niro was an unexpected treasure!
I'm in Canada, and I'm so glad I have an English background/have read the book. I heard one person wondering aloud what a woopsie was...oh dear...
I took my 8 1/2 and 11 year old daughters to the movie- they loved it too, although on a different level than their Dad and I! My 11 year old now wants to read the book.
We all had a great afternoon- thanks, Neil!

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
Woopsie is my new favorite word Razz

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adanarama
posted Hide Post
I'm a fourth-generation Californian, but it wasn't hard to figure out the meaning of "woopsie." Still, I've always been good with words and am not exactly average. I don't know if my peers had trouble with it. The whole movie was delightful. I especially liked Billy the inkeeper and Bernard's subtle reactions to gender changing.

It is night, and the silhouette branches of the apple tree
reach up to steal the silver-dollar moon. It is day, and the roaring sun
beats time behind the graying clouds of noon...
"...zombies only want you for your brains." - Jennie Breeden
"It's not a lie. Call it an imaginative look at reality." - Mike Redford Green (from the comic CRFH)

Posts: 40 | Location: Wine Country (hic) | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a lurker for ages, but I just took my strong-willed eleven year old to see the movie today and I wanted to say how much we enjoyed it. She's a huge fan of Mirrormask, so I managed to convince her that this was a better option than [movies I really didn't want to see that had more extensive licensing].

We had a fine time. She'd read the book, so she (mostly) knew what to expect, but she still spent a fair chunk of the movie huddled up with me when scary stuff happened (like death or kissing). I thought Robert DeNiro and Michelle Pfeiffer were delicious.

I probably enjoyed Victoria's ultimate comeuppance in the wedding scene more than was good for me, but it really was fun.

Cheers. Good job.

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stardust is absolutely magical...immediately a classic! Have loved the book for a long time, and wondered if the changes might trouble me. They didn't. Not a wrong note was struck throughout.

All those rave reviews we've been reading? Every word is true.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went and saw the movie this weekend with my wife. Having not read the story since the original comic release, I was entering almost as blindly as someone who had never heard of it. I had the basic idea down, and was aware of the major story concepts, but the little things had been lost to the dusty, webbed over parts of my mind. After seeing it, it spurred my desire to read it again, and although there are indeed parts that vary drastically from the original story, the charm, essence and overall magic are in no way lost. Anyone who enjoys a good faerie tale should make the time to see this. It will not disappoint.

happiness is a temporary chemical imbalance of the true state of mind

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on my honeymoon but I took some time away to see Stardust while my Bride shopped.

This is strange but one word not in the movie kinda made me not get into it like I thought I should.

Stand back and Admins, please step in if you feel I should be censored.

But the word is 'Fuck'.

In the book, which I haven't read wholely since it's Vertigo release, has Yvaine, the star, saying the following:

'And there was a voice, a high clear , female voice, which said, "Ow," and then, very quietly, it said, "Fuck," and then it said "Ow," once more.

"Fuck."

That word (look at the original type set in the Vertigo version), it's presence at that time in the tale, made it a timeless love story to me.
She's real.
She's kinda a foul mouth jerk.
This is how Chapter 3 ends.

I'm still digesting it and I liked Deniro but...

fuck.

Not mother?

Posts: 86 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I made a friend of mine read Stardust years ago and she knows about the movie, but hasn't gone yet - she asked me about the movie last weekend and that was the scene she wanted to know about!

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah see. That part just sticks. Weird.

Not mother?

Posts: 86 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Saw it loved it. Will buy it.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We loved it! WUUUNNNDDDerful!

Many sly moments--and I thought DeNiro's woopsie role (not in the book) more than made up for the missing eff word. (His wink at Humprhey in the audience was a riot.)

How about the lightning dealer? Reminded me of the good/bad old days...

Primus' cerulean blood was a hoot too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the website is Fab. U. Los! Check it out if you haven't already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taoist "Wooo-weeee!" The bosom that can be tamed is not a real bosom.

Dammit babies, you've got to be kind!
~Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 179 | Location: yes | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Firstly, Stardust is enchanting, spectacular, poetic, whimsical, and lovely in every meaning of the term. I found great joy in the movie as well as the novel. I do, unfortunately, have to admit that I enjoyed the movie better than the book. I thought that the plot and characterization was better in the movie. I thought the movie was more humorous, romantic, and epic. I have a question for Neil, I'm not sure if he reads these posts of if there is another way to ask him questions, but here goes.
I was wondering who wrote the screenplay for the movie Stardust, and if Neil had any collaboration with it, or any say in the writing and editing of his story. I loved both the movie and the book. They both took me far, far, away into another world and filled my heart with joy, wishes, and dreams. Neil is an amazingly talented person, in all mediums for his creativity. I am a writer, and I respect and admire all of his work, especially Stardust. I hope to one day write a story that people will fall in love with, and bring to life. I can't wait to see Neil's writing in Beowulf. (One of my favorite poems/books.) I think there is no one better to tell the epic adventurous tale of heros, and villains than Neil. Overall, Stardust is utterly fantastic, in both forms.

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
Writing credit for the script goes to Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman, neither of whom have written much else. Quite good for a first outing, I should think.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Village Elder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fallenstar:
I was wondering who wrote the screenplay for the movie Stardust, and if Neil had any collaboration with it, or any say in the writing and editing of his story.

Jane Goldman with director Matthew Vaughn. Neil picked Jane to do it. I'd have to look through interviews to see how much Neil contributed to the script (he is not listed as a screenwriter afterall)

Posts: 13129 | Location: Tucson | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alikai
posted Hide Post
I have just seen Stardust (it hasn't been out long in Australia) and it is awesome! It is so great to see so many fantasy movies coming out. Stardust was even better than I expected. It delivered everything I wanted to see as a viewer as well as being unexpected and turning cliches right on their heads. And all with a happily ever after. This is my favourite fantasy movie now, supplanting Lord of the Rings and Narnia! Can't wait to see Beowulf and Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass, though!

I'm hoping to publish my own fantasy series too. I'm part of a speculative fiction website here in Australia that is looking for more writers. Check out www.specusphere.com if you're interested.

And hats off to you Mr Gaiman! I'm gonna get hold of the book some time and read it seeing as the movie was so fantastic! I'm sure the book will be even better!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alikai,

Posts: 1 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To those two members who answered my question:
Thanks! I read, I think yesterday, in Neil's blog, that Jane had written the screenplay, as well as a picture of her with the actor who played Lord Septimus. Thank you for finding that information for me. I will keep track of those authors, for I greatly enjoyed their work in this film.
Thanks again.

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Odora
posted Hide Post
I can only agree, that the whole film is fantastic... I was looking forward to a screen adaptation made by Terry Gilliam, for I thought he would be the best person to make movies based on dearest mr. Gaiman's novels, yet... WHAT A FILM!!! O_o I am absolutely amazed by all the characters - especially Captain Shakespeare, who is just gorgeous.))

Fail better.
~ Samuel Beckett

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post