Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Stardust    Should I only watch Stardust after reading the book first?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I only watch Stardust after reading the book first?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm currently reading American Gods so I won't be able to read Stardust for a while. Perhaps I could just watch the movie then read the book down the track. Or do you think I should wait until I've read the book and only then watch the movie?

Posts: 9 | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come to think about it I don't think I'm going to be able to stop myself from watching the movie.

Posts: 9 | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I don't think it matters one way or the other, myself. I like both quite a lot, but for different reasons. And it's a fairytale. It's not like there's spoilers to those. "*gasp* Jack kills the giant! OMGSTFU!"

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of marmota-b
posted Hide Post
I saw the film first and then read the book, and loved the book more. My friend saw the film first and then read the book and was a bit disappointed by the book. I guess it depends on what you enjoy more - my friend's more into thrills and scary things than me, while I'm more into the fairy-tale thing. (Not that the film would be so scary - I'm just saying it to explain the difference in our tastes.)

----------------------------------
There is Robinson, alone on a deserted island; but they will marry.

Posts: 180 | Location: alternating between Bohemia and Moravia | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MidNight The Magnificent
posted Hide Post
I always recommend reading the books BEFORE watching the movies. When I read books, the the words tend to form a movie just for me in my head, so watching a movie first can kind of ruin that enjoyment for me. Watching the movie first would sort of ENFORCE somebody else's vision of the words on me, so I don't like that.

LOTR is a VERY rare film that actually lived up to my expectations.

Hope that made up your mind,
~MidNight

“The one thing I'll never be is sui-cidal. Homi-cidal is all fine and good 'cause that ain't MY survival on the line. Other people? Who fucking cares?!”~MidNight

Posts: 2 | Location: Realm Of Delusion | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post