New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Unsuggester
 Login/Join

Picture of Jess Angell
posted
Livejournal-Neil-Blog follower here. I took Neil's lead and entered The Holy Bible:New International Version
<a href="http://www.librarything.com/unsuggester/182444">here</a> and was pleased to see 'Death, the high cost of living' at number 23 and Pratchett's work ALL OVER the place.

*grin*

(btw~ the pie question just tripped me out while signing up)

Posts: 3 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspired by your location, Jess, I input "John Waters" and chose the first item of his that came up. "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis topped the unsuggested list. Big Grin (Weirdly,though, Terry Pratchett was also all over that list.)

Posts: 48 | Location: Taiwan | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
[neil]Except Coraline, for which it is also true, but in which unsuggestion list Vogue Knitting On the Go: Socks Two can also prominently be found.[/neil].

Well, hey now. I've flipped through that book.... and I've got some of these unpairable pairings! It's making me feel very.... unsuggested, or something.

ps -- Jess, Big Grin I'm glad you like the pie question. I think that's what will be remembered most from the aitapata administration years Razz

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my first post,

Neil's latest Jornal entry sent me, and probably a whole slue of people to Unsugester. The very first book I looked up was Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. A very weird little book by a Hindu wizard who taught yoga in the west, and ultimatly founded what is debatibly a massive cult: The Self-Realisation Society.

I don't know how respected Yogananda is amoung mainstreem Hindu's, but he sure saw a lot of amazing things in his life time. The sheer weirdness factor of the book makes it one of my favourite "non-fictions" ever.

The Number One unsugestion for this book. . . is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Number 39, The Sandman: Seasons of Mists.

I guess I just want to say that Neil. . . if you're out there. This is one quasi-Hindu cultist who stands behind you.

All paths lead to god,

Michael Scott

I would love to hear from anyone else who's had a favourite book unsuggested to them, based on a favourite Gaiman work.

ps. thanks for the redirect aitapata. Noob Here.

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look up Chuck Palahniuk too. That's lots of fun. Apparently he's the anti Christ.

Posts: 4 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all the authors I ran through Unsuggester (Neil, Michael Moorcock, Terry Pratchett, China Mieville and Naomi Klein), I got a lot of books on Christian theology.

Posts: 388 | Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, Europe,etc,etc | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I like Neil AND I like John Grisham . . .

Posts: 29 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: July 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
I have a few unsuggestable pairings too. For example, I have a least 5 of the unsuggestables for 'A Scanner Darkly' by P.K. Dick.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jess Angell
posted Hide Post
Xiao~ I would suppose the opposite of Johns Waters would be something by Rachel Ray or Spielberg... it seems Christianity is the unsuggested 'winner'?

Aitapata~ Unpairable pairings and socks go well together.

Posts: 3 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rosegolden Dove
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that when I typed in The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice I get unsuggested for a whole list of religious books, mainly on Christianity. For a site that thinks to know they should know Anne also wrote books on religion and that religion is actually also mentioned in her Vampire Chronicles. Typical. Would it mean that reading these books suggests I am anti-Christian, or don't believe or don't wish to read about it? From the 74 books they unsuggested, at least 50 were related to religion. One of my best friends is a vicar and he loves Metal, he has a friend who is also a vicar who is a Goth. My friend's wife reads Anne Rice and all kinds of Fantasy, so I really raise my eyebrows with these unsuggestions. Why would the one rule out the other?

When I entered 'Veronika Decides To Die' by Paulo Coelho I got another handful of Christian books unsuggested. Ehm? A book about suicidal thoughts would suggest I don't like reading religious books?

Religion is a very interesting subject and one who is open to all kinds of things would read all sorts of books.

Even when I typed Harry Potter! (thought I gave up after 4 books). Again many unsuggestions on books about Jesus and God and all...

Could this site be slightly prejudiced? Or could it be that all of those members are really so undivided in their interests?

Just something I wondered...

'Adsum, sic passim'
(I'm here, therefore everywhere).

Posts: 14 | Location: Hilversum NL but sometimes Tanworth-in-Arden UK | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is that its actually using a statistcally small pool of members to extrapolate from. Also, it only makes suggestions and unsuggestions for books that have more than 75 members listed as holding them. I found this out by putting in Catherine Cookson's 'the Mallen Streak', which it said it could not unsuggest for because it only found 7 copies.Bearing in mind that this is a hugely popular book, I'd say this shows the site does n't have enough members to be properly representative.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rosegolden Dove
posted Hide Post
Yes I had a few of those notices as well with books. Actually most of the books I own seem to not be owned by at least 75 members... Wink

'Adsum, sic passim'
(I'm here, therefore everywhere).

Posts: 14 | Location: Hilversum NL but sometimes Tanworth-in-Arden UK | Registered: September 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smartest woman in the world.
Picture of Jocelyn
posted Hide Post
I think the data is further skewed because there is a group of people who collect books on religion on that site. This is one of the reasons I was trying to get as many people as possible to input their libraries.

I love the unsuggester, and think it's funny that books on religion show up as the "opposite" of most secular fiction. But I'd rather see the thing be accurate than funny.

Posts: 8092 | Location: On the 34th Floor | Registered: November 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post