Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  The Journal    Blind man on the train
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blind man on the train
 Login/Join

Picture of Suite Madame Blue
posted
I just read Neil's June 19 post about the blind man having trouble with the toilet on the train, and now am very upset about the whole incident. How could that man only help halfway? The blind man had a reasonable expectation that someone who helped him into the toilet would also help him out. For the other man to disappear like that was thoughtless and inconsiderate. He might as well not have helped at all. And the fact that NO ONE ELSE even bothered to step in and assist the blind man after he was abandoned by the first guy is absolutely outrageous!

Do people in the UK really have such an acute sense of embarrassment that they will pretend that such bodily functions don't exist? Even to the point that they will refuse help to someone who so obviously needs it? Good Lord, all they had to do was push a damn button, and the only person who took the trouble to do so was all the way on the other side of the car.

Thanks for letting me vent. I don't really expect an answer or explanation, but I would be interested to know other people's takes on the situation.

Member of the Spider Liberation Front (Free free, set them free)

Posts: 619 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
i know it doesn't help the blind man, but if i'd been there/saw him i would have helped...but then, i'm known to be generally a helpful person, one of the reasons i was given my job in charge of a customer focused department (and this mod job Wink)

some of the people on the train may just not have noticed the situation/the fact he was blind...if i'd had my head in a book i may not have done.

and the train toilets are weeeeeeeeeeeird...not that that should stop anyone helping a person needing help...just wanted to share.

that of course doesn't excuse everyone...

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lagomorphic wannabe
Picture of Motley
posted Hide Post
I can easily believe this happened - it's the train that goes through the town I live in - a commuter train from London to the south coast, or maybe to Ashford. Commuters get on the train at one end and somehow disappear while they are on it and then get off and appear again at their destination! Magic I think!
The only reason I know this is because I used to be one. Now I only travel to and from London occasionally and now I notice people. I guess as it was an unusual journey for Mr Neil to take and he noticed people. Just shows that he's a lovely person though eh. Or does it show that he's become more American? Are we British that bad now? I'm scared. But it also shows that he loves his life because when you're not happy you also tend to disappear and not notice other people.
Anyway enough of that. I'm fed up with people not wanting to get involved with anything. I've dragged fighting drunks apart (much to the alarm of the people I'm with) and am convinced I'll get in trouble one day!
Keep your fingers crossed for the "busybodies" of the world will you? Because that's what people see you as if you try to help people! Makes me sick. I'm with you two.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 2709 | Location: Woman of Kent | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suite Madame Blue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight from both of you. That's not to say that the US is problem-free. Every so often I hear about commuter trains where pregnant women are left to stand while healthy, able-bodied men and women sit in their seats and stare at them.

It makes me sick to think that we're becoming so callous as a society, and it's very good to know that there are individuals everywhere who are not.

Member of the Spider Liberation Front (Free free, set them free)

Posts: 619 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a somewhat similar experience, though I'm not British. I was waiting in line at a drugstore when an old woman hanging on a walker slipped and fell. I waited about five seconds for someone else to help her, since I was holding groceries and there were at least half a dozen people around, but when nobody moved a single muscle in her direction I finally put down my stuff and helped her up. The only good thing was that nobody took the opportunity to steal my place in line.

One...two...five!

Posts: 19 | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post