Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recipe
 Login/Join

posted
I am oddly compelled to share this culinary discovery, having read on Neil's blog that he is an enthusiast with regards to Things Eaten.

Roast Cornish Hen
(Possibly known as poullet in England)

One good-sized hen will feed two nibblish people, or a single hungry one.

Procure one or more nice cornish hens. Organic, or free range. Here in Canada, a pair of them can be had for $10 Cdn, so this is a meal unlikely to break the bank.

Rub the little cluckers down with olive oil. This is about as unpleasant as it sounds. Then further rub them down in grated sea salt and cracked pepper.

Quarter a lemon lengthwise. Loosely stuff each hen with a lemon spear and fresh herbs. I prefer rosemary, but thyme or bay is also nice.

Lay the birds upside down in a roasting pan.

Boil and peel new potatoes and other roots as desired, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with herbs as well.

Roast for about 25 minutes at ~400f, then turn the birds and roast another 20-25 minutes. Finally, raise the heat to 450f for 10-15 to brown them nicely.

Now that my compulsion to share this is satisfied, I shall retreat into the background once more.

Posts: 1 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half the man he used to be
posted Hide Post
that sounds tasty

Posts: 411 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
Why retreat into the background? There's a lovely recipe thread already established in the World's End section - that's where we usually play. It's lot of fun, even for lurkers and you may even get a red balloon.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25171 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
cough.

he retrieted into the background, erm, nearly 8 years ago....

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20558 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ylvs
posted Hide Post
*giggles*

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today." Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Posts: 70 | Location: Kassel, where the Brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
cough.

You are absolutely right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dweller in Darkness,

Posts: 1 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: July 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows what a real civil war should be
Picture of Furious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smaug:
cough.

That's not a retreat, that's a surrender!

Posts: 32705 | Location: The Island of Misfit USB Peripherals | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post