Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  The Journal    Neil and the Simpsons Movie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neil and the Simpsons Movie?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey,

I don't understand what Neil alludes to in Speak of the Devil... I did see the Simpsons Movie but I don't remember Neil being mentioned in it. Can someone refresh my memories?

Posts: 46 | Location: Saarland, Germany | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
It looks like he was recognized while out in public with his daughter. He's been fortunate up til now with not being a 'celebrity' and being able to live a fairly normal 'hometown' life.

I had to read that through twice too because he's deliberately being vague about what happened. He seems to be following his daughter's suggestion that he jinxed himself by talking about it.

Here's the bit on the blog his daughter referenced: linky about going from cult famousness to being-recognised-in-delicatessens famousness.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raze
posted Hide Post
On the surface, I'm pretty sure he means that someone (or someones) recognised him and began talking to him about... well, himself, when he just wanted to go to the movies with his daughter and relax. I think the ambiguity is just diplomacy, so as not to offend the fan if they happen to read his blog (which they probably do).

HOWEVER...

Inside sources tell me that he was actually drawn into a vast arcane conspiracy involving a secret organisation who claim to have found the true descendants of Christ after deciphering a message hidden in a typo in Neverwhere.

I know which situation sounds the most likely, and it definitely isn't the former.

Posts: 51 | Location: Gullsreach | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
if you scroll down to the bottom in this bit of his blog - from a few days ago he met Matt Groening and said he doesn't want to be Simpsonized - he'd rather be a head in a jar on Futurama.

And I don't live anywhere near him, but if I ever did see him or any celebrity in public I'd prolly squeak, ramble something incoherent and then leave them alone.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the firebreather beneath the clover
Picture of fawn
posted Hide Post
I felt sort of sad for Neil after reading that blog entry. I hope this doesn't signify the coming of a time when he is no longer blog friendly, etc....i would understand why, if he took that route but it would make me sad.

I had a sudden epiphany of what it must be like to be Neil during those moments of signings and such, in the tiniest most microcosm-y way: I am a 6th grade English teacher and am fairly popular with my students--I'm goofy, youngish, I'm not a silence freak, I like Harry Potter and The Simpsons and have long blond hair (it doesn't take much to make 6th graders like you)--and the last two or three days of school the kids hang on me. I end up with a crowd of kids sitting around my desk, sweetly chattering at me while I desperately attempt to sign 100 yearbooks with something more personal than "Have a fun summer, you earned it!" I usually have one or two kids that assign themselves my handler and manage to clear a path out of my desk so that I don't have a nervous breakdown.

This only happens for about three days a year. I can't imagine what it would be like going to a movie and having that happenFrown

"Even mollusks have weddings, though solemn and leaden
But you dirge for the dead, take no jam on your bread
Just a supper of salt and a waltz through your empty bed"---Joanna Newsom

Posts: 171 | Location: San Clemente, Ca | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remembered the bit about him not wanting to be in the Simpsons, and that just added to the confusion Wink

I'd like to think I'd be pretty cool should I ever meet someone like Neil Gaiman on the street. I'd probably say something like "what the hell are you doing unannounced in Germany" and then leave him alone.

Although I have to admit it would be pretty cool Wink

Posts: 46 | Location: Saarland, Germany | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling I would be rather mellow. I mean it would be kind of awkward to me if someone knew my name and I didn't know theirs.

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of unlikely
posted Hide Post
i saw neil unexpectedly at the london opening night of wolves, unespected in that i don't think he said he was going on the blog, not like it was completely random or anything. and it seemed well laid back and like most people didn't know who he was, which was cool cos it meant we could go and say hi. I think it is good for him that way, he just got to hang out with the cast and stuff. Because fanjism is not very interesting conversation. I guess he is a bit more famous in america tho.

Posts: 55 | Location: snug | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
He has so many fans and so many that read his blog and know what he looks like. I wonder if that fan did more than say hello.

If I met him expectedly in a public place I guess it would be hard not to nod and say hi if he happened to look at me, because I feel that I know him and it would be rude not to say anything. But I wouldn't try to get into a conversation and abuse his time.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Neil has a problem with being recognized or approached by fans, so long as it's kept within the bounds of reason and sanity. I believe what happened at the Simpsons film (and I'm basing this on a YouTube interview I stumbled across) was that one of the employees recognized Neil and told him that he'd never have to pay for his tickets at that theater again. Which, understandably, made Neil feel rather uncomfortable.

So I guess the moral of the story is, treat your heroes like people rather than gods or public servants you own.

One...two...five!

Posts: 19 | Registered: March 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cassie
posted Hide Post
I do live near Neil, and I am just awaiting the day where I see him out and about. But I do feel bad for him, I would hate to be treated like a "god", as Mighty Cheese Log said.

Posts: 6 | Location: Suburbs of Minneapolis, MN | Registered: March 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post