New
Find
Notify
Tools

[Help]What to read?
 Login/Join

Picture of Rum Tum Tugger
posted
Hi all! Just a quick background on me. I haven't read any of Neil's work .Though i have seen coroline ,stardust and beowolf on the big screen.
Few weeks ago, i have seen he just releases another book with his fellow authors. Stories- All new tales. Upon reading some thread , of course not all will like it . I'd like to read all his work. I mean ALL (if possible) . I did some research, on which book everyone would like , it turns out they agreed on the graveyard book , anasi boys , good omens, neverwhere also sandman. I was tempted to buy one of those book in the nearest bookstore here in our place. Just like a soldier going to a cold war (not prepared) , i ended up not buying but thinking if anyone could help me out here.
Could anyone help me out which one should i read first chronologically until i may read ALL his work. Thanks in advance guys! Cheers! Big Grin

Posts: 3 | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weirdy American Tart Thing
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I'll be no help at all, except to say Welcome to the Board!

If you've seen Coraline and Stardust, start with those. Because they are different stories in book form. (Coraline maintains the storyline moreso that Stardust does) I don't know how fast you read, but those books aren't very long.

Good Omens is a collaboration with Terry Pratchett and was actually the first book of Neil Gaiman's that I read, because I'm a Pratchett fan. I knew Sandman existed, but I'd never read anything. I think Neverwhere was next - that book was written from a screenplay that got filmed in England. If you have access to Netflix, it's available for rent (I'm not sure where on the planet you are Smile)

The only book you didn't mention (besides short story collections) is American Gods.

um. Can you get anything out of a library?

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

The brain: not always amenable to logic. ~Hive

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Maeve, thanks for the warm welcome. Actually it depends on the story if it excites me to read, some books i have read bores me. Sad to say there are no Gaiman in our school library.

Would you suggest if ill read good omens also? Smile

Thanks Mate!

Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I loved Good Omens, but it is rather dated. It's also a collaboration and therefore not 'All Neil' (or indeed, All Pratchett) and the overall flavour is very Monty Python/Douglas Adams-ish. And it does involve ideas and and things that were present in the late 1990's, so if you've never had a car with a cassette player, you may not understand the jokes. Smile Not saying you won't, just that perhaps Stardust and Neverwhere would be a better place to start.

I love American Gods and it's the one book that I have convinced my husband to read that he also enjoyed and managed to get through. I've never convinced him to read Pratchett or Adams.

Minister of Kraftwerk in the Realm of U & P, Order of the Pineapple with frond for advancement in Nap studies.

Posts: 25366 | Location: under tangled yarn | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohh i see Smile Will try Neverwhere , stardust and american gods. Wish there would be a book sale Smile

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Omens, but it is rather dated.

perhaps it's because i haven't read it in about ten years, but i honestly don't recall a hell of a lot that could be considered "dated"...maybe some cultural references, but not the book as a whole

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
And I did try to explain afterwards that if you've never read it, some of the references might be a bit obscure and might make the book less enjoyable and that a different book might be a better one to start with.

Because the references are a constant thread throughout the story - at least, that's how it came off to me. I'm of a certain age, so I understand them, but I'm not sure someone half my age, who didn't grow up with Monty Python, no one having cell phones, cassette players in the car, Queen on constant rotation and The Omen movies (the old ones), will understand those bits. Is it possible to follow the story without them? I dunno, I read the book when it came out in paperback the first go 'round, so I can't detach from it. I have the same problem with the Hitchhiker's Guide books.

posted Hide Post
i apologise if i came off sounding like a jerk, it wasnt my intention

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maeve
posted Hide Post
I didn't think you were! Did I come off as crabby? I didn't mean to.

So, what you have a reader new to Gaiman read first? (other than Sandman)

posted Hide Post
perhaps just a guilty conscience on my part

and apart from Sandman, i'd think a first read for a Gaiman fan should be American Gods, and if they're younger, then The Graveyard Book