Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Stuff and Things.  Hop To Forums  Message Board FAQ    Similar creative inspiration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Similar creative inspiration
 Login/Join

posted
To any of the PR guys who read Gaiman's discussion board:

I'm writing a novella that has a similar setting to Neverwhere and I am concerned whether it may be too similar. It is called "Where the Trains Used to Run." It takes place in an underground train tunnel. The story starts underground, and there is no mentioning of a world above. Unlike Gaiman's story, the main character ends up in an underground tunnel at the start of the work because of an alcoholic blackout. Gaiman's story is more grounded in history and lore whereas the novella I'm writing is more existentialist, dark, psychological, speculative and Lovecraftian. The main character,Gerald ,is seeing monsters in the dark. I leave it to the reader, as the unreliable narrator unfolds his present tense tale, whether if he is just showing symptoms of a "wet brain alcoholic" or if these monsters are real. the spooks in the story itself are Lovecraftian. and there is a fellow homeless man he meets and this second character joins the main character through the journey out of the tunnel. Also there is backstory to Gerald's childhood.

That is my plot line thus far, and wanted to know if this is too close to home in Gaiman's work Neverwhere. Also when I started writing this I did not have the Neverwhere story in mind. It was a subconscious reaction I think. I am not even close to finishing this.

Thanks,

Lionel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ltrain,

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post