Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    The gray doctor in the Monarch of the Glen.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The gray doctor in the Monarch of the Glen.
 Login/Join

posted
I just reread this story, and can't figure out exactly why Mr. Alice had this man killed. In case I'm not being clear, he's the man that recruited Shadow to the mansion in the first place.
The story says he lied to Mr. Alice, but I'm not quite sure how.
Thanks for you help.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly certain he was killed due to his supposed child-murdering ways. Shadow had a dream about the doctor photographing a dead child in the building where Shadow took cover from the rain during his walk. After he mentioned it to Mr. Alice, the mob boss had a particular reaction to it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Great wyrm of Toronto
Picture of Mythos
posted Hide Post
*Potential Spoilers*

I'm pretty sure that the reason Gaskell was killed -- if Wednesday can be believed -- was because he gave Mr. Alice "a chess piece" as opposed to a "checker piece" and it messed up their game BIG time.

Posts: 6034 | Location: Canada | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a little late to the party, but I've just now read The Monarch of the Glen.

As I figured, the doctor was a murdering peadophile, and so indeed a monster. The fact that he died at the end gives us a sense of closure and poetic justice.

However, I don't think it's why he died. Where money reigns, morality is flushed down the drain. Don't forget the party is gathered to kill. I figure Mr. Alice is aware of his activities, and somewhat twists his arm to help them find a contender for the fight every year. In return, the doctor is free to do whatever monstrous things he does.

I think the lie is the fact that he hired Shadow, fully being aware that Shadow is some sort of a "monster" as well. The fight symbolizes the victory of mankind against the monsters. So the man of mankind should be human. Yet, the doctor knew Shadow wasn't man. (Which is confirmed by Jennie at the end of the novel. She tells that she wanted to love a man. She can't love shadow, because he isn't a man, although she thought so at first).

The doctor sold Mr. Alice Shadow as the fighting champion for mankind. But that was a lie. The doctor knew Shadow wasn't fit to be their champion, but he did anyway. The punishment, and poetic justice, for this monstrous man is death.

Without music, life would be a mistake (Nietzsche)

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mythos:
*Potential Spoilers*

I'm pretty sure that the reason Gaskell was killed -- if Wednesday can be believed -- was because he gave Mr. Alice "a chess piece" as opposed to a "checker piece" and it messed up their game BIG time.

Yes, indeed. I think you're very much right.

Without music, life would be a mistake (Nietzsche)

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post