Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    Favorite short stories from Fragile Things
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite short stories from Fragile Things
 Login/Join

Picture of Tag
posted
I loved Feeders and Eaters it was amazing. Also loved Other People, Only the End of the World Again (Smoke and mirrors but there isn't a thread area for that book). So many good ones I forgot... I lost my copy but I think I'm getting a new copy for my birthday (in 4 days) I only got to read it once... Frown

Posts: 50 | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Smoke & Mirrors- - - why ISN'T there a thread for that one?? Good Point!

And by the way-- HAPPY BIRTHDAY in a couple of hours Tag!! Big Grin
Cheers!!!

Oh yeah- sorry- I got off track here.
My favorite short story from Fragile Things is a toss up between: "The Monarch of the Glen" and "October In The Chair".

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello " everyone" .
I just joined after reading Fragile Things last night (all night and some of the morning).
At the moment I'm bleary eyed and in love with all of them, but mostly, fatally and dramatically, in Harlequin Valentine. Smile I have also recently finished The Graveyard Book, but that's another thread and I shouldn't make a mess om them on my fist visit!

Be well
Amorine

" There will always be another reality to make fiction of the Truth we think we've arrived at" Christopher Fry

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtguyChuck:
Speaking of Smoke & Mirrors- - - why ISN'T there a thread for that one?? Good Point!

And by the way-- HAPPY BIRTHDAY in a couple of hours Tag!! Big Grin
Cheers!!!

Oh yeah- sorry- I got off track here.
My favorite short story from Fragile Things is a toss up between: "The Monarch of the Glen" and "October In The Chair".

Love the idea of a meeting amongst the Seasons. It's like an ent moot (from Tolkien) at least once a month

" There will always be another reality to make fiction of the Truth we think we've arrived at" Christopher Fry

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favourite Fragile Things story...... mmh, tough one.

S study in Emerald is superlative and made me put an order in for Shadows Over Bakerstreet straight away.

But for me it has to be, and I'm paraphrasing here, 'cause titles and names are a blind spot for me, The Disapearance of Miss Finch.

I love the kind of fearie stories where the characters within them feel helpless and alone, unable to swim against the tide of the narative, and Gaiman does the modern version of these types of tales perfectly.

Posts: 7 | Registered: February 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sjoerd3000
posted Hide Post
Quite liked how to talk to girls at parties Smile
Thought the Matrix story Goliath was good too Wink

HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE

Posts: 19 | Location: Groningen, The Netherlands | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the Penitent
Picture of Artguy C.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sjoerd3000:
Quite liked how to talk to girls at parties Smile
Thought the Matrix story Goliath was good too Wink

Yes! Good call Sjoerd!
Both of those stories are great for sure!

(& Mikes is right too--- A Study in Emerald- is very cool as well!!)

It is too hard to choose a favorite from this collection!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Greater or Lesser Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
I LOVED How To Talk To Girls At Parties, i got a couple of feelings and theories about the possible background meanings in it (if they were intended or not, i may never know)

1. females to most (if not all men) are like an alien race, the way they talk, how they act, etc... it's all so odd to us

2. for most men, even if they did meet an alien, if it's in the body of a beautiful woman, they're not going to notice

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post