New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Study in Emerald
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hello there, I'm new. "hi" yeah, uh...

Okay, I really liked A Study in Emerald. I really enjoy more "horror" stories that aren't mind numbingly terrifying, but if you think it over, may give you the "chill down your spine syndrome". I hope there's more. I hope that Mr. Gaiman will write more Lovecraftian-horror.

Posts: 1 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
needs a blanket very badly. The better to "yahr" you.
Picture of Alinda, the lost girl in long stockings
posted Hide Post
welcome She of Small Combat Boots. is there any shorter way to call you?

anyhow, i was saying, welcome aboard! come join a bunch of weird people in World's End, that's where you'll find most of the posters are!

We're friendly, weirdos but friendly Big Grin

"If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books." Roald Dahl
"I still love the book-ness of books, the smell of books: I am a book fetishist - books to me are the coolest and sexiest and most wonderful things there are." Neil Gaiman
"Even so, there is no excuse for putting pineapple on pizza." Terry Pratchett

Have you fed your adorable, lovable and huggable lost girl lately?
"Continued exposure to the Lost Girl's avatar causes people to forget how to count and to repeat things." Joe_3Heads

I obey the Alaura
High Priestess in the Alaurian Movement

Posts: 9940 | Location: under a big red blanket, somewhere in milano, italy, europe, earth | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Asst. to Dr. Bronners
Picture of Se
posted Hide Post
Study in emerald won the hugo for best novelette.

You can read about it on the noreascon site and on Neil gaiman's journal

Don't drink soap! Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Posts: 1231 | Location: Milan | Registered: September 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ZoneSeek
posted Hide Post
The Study In Emerald on the site seems different, shorter, than the one I read IRL. Or is it just me?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Manila | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator/Colporteur
Picture of Dweller in Darkness
posted Hide Post
I think it might be the format. I just reread it after reading the original days ago and nothing seemed to be missing.

- G.K. Chesterton

My moderator voice is red.

Posts: 48708 | Location: Concord, NH, USA | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oprion
posted Hide Post
Somehow the Great October Revolution sounds that much more appealing Smile

Posts: 50 | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Psittacula servus
Picture of parrotslave
posted Hide Post
The emerald green frame arrived for the poster of A Study in Emerald yesterday. After much fumbling and cursing myself for only allowing an eighth of an inch overlap by the matting I got it assembled and hanging on the wall across from the WC. It looks so cool and now there will always be some reading material for whoever needs it. Wink

What a great idea for a short story.

---------
She was not quite what you would call refined.
She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
~ Mark Twain

Eternity lies ahead of us, and behind. Have you eaten enough ice cream?

Posts: 1119 | Location: island of misfit toys | Registered: January 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Parrot, would love to see a picture of your framed poster! Sounds really cool. I was trying to come up with a good color for this, and when I read your post I thought, "well, duh!". Love to see it.

Ron

Posts: 6 | Location: L.A. | Registered: September 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I adored it...The whole collection was fantastic.

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading 'A Study in Emerald' was when I realised Gaiman had gone from being a good writer, to being a great writer. Truly brilliant.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have a copy of Fragile Things with me, and it sounds like my cup of tea. As an interesting tidbit, the guy who makes the Calls for Cthulhu episode was praising it, and said something to the extent that Neil Gaiman was a great author. http://www.callsforcthulhu.com/
Unearthly terrors from the tales of H.P. meet Sherlock Holmes. Should be interesting. I'll give my two cents when I'm finished.

"It may be those who do most, dream most." - Stephen Leacock

Posts: 67 | Location: Where ever you're not. | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read it now, and I liked it, but I sensed that I was missing something, so I checked the plot summary on wikipedia to see if there was some intellectual or subtle point that I had missed. Nothing like that. As it turns out, I was just stupid enough to decide not to have read any Sherlock Holmes stories before going into this. *sigh*
That's a perfect example of the potential problem with pastiches: you have to know what it's talking about to get it. And now I've ruined any surprise I might get out of it on a reread (assuming I've read some Holmes stories at that point).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mw/NNrules,

"It may be those who do most, dream most." - Stephen Leacock

Posts: 67 | Location: Where ever you're not. | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of albie
posted Hide Post
The royal family as murderous aliens?

Been reading David Icke, Neil?

Posts: 10 | Location: Hull england | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of albie
posted Hide Post
It maybe a coincidence, but Holmes signs himself as 'Rache' meaning a sniffer dog, a bloodhound.
And in the film YOUNG SHERLOCK HOlMES Moriarty goes under the name of Rathe.

Could be nothing.

Posts: 10 | Location: Hull england | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
In what language does 'rache' mean bloodhound?

In German 'rache' means revenge, and it's a direct reference to 'A Study In Scarlet', the first Holmes story.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of albie
posted Hide Post
Maybe it looked like I was saying Rache just meant bloodhound. I was offering the alternative meaning to revenge.

http://dictionary.die.net/rache

"Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Rach \Rach\, Rache \Rache\, n. [AS. r[ae]cc; akin to Icel.
rakki.] (Zo["o]l.)
A dog that pursued his prey by scent, as distinguished from
the greyhound. [Obs.]"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: albie,

Picture of albie
posted Hide Post
It is old english.

http://bloodhoundclub.co.uk/History/20.htm

Bloodhound would be too specific. It is a sniffer dog.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: albie,

Picture of DarkKnightJared
posted Hide Post
Great story. One thing did confuse me, and it might just be because I haven't read all of the Holmes stories.

Why does Holmes decide to kill the Elder Gods? From what I've read of him, Holmes, while being of a rational mindpoint, also says that if there is no evidence to prove otherwise, then the impossible is actually possible, or something to that effect. So if there is no evidence to say otherwise that the Elders are not what they say they are, why doesn't Holmes believe it?

Posts: 23 | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read this, didn't see the twist coming but in retrospect there are enough clues: "Sherry Vernet" is a giveaway, as Holmes claimed to be related to the French Vernet family and ACD had originally planned to call him "Sherringford".

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post