Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    Help! Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night...
 Login/Join

posted
I am intrigued by this short story in Fragile Things, but I don't get it. Can someone please help me understand the story?

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Albene
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... Without giving too many spoilers. Look at the writer and his surroundings. Then look at the type story he's writing. Then ask yourself if this is a typical writer-story relationship.

When Nature calls, we answer. Or else. ~ Me

Posts: 24 | Location: Singapore | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of unlikely
posted Hide Post
its basically a play on the stigma surrounding genre, or, how people tend to assume all fantasy is rubbish.

Posts: 55 | Location: snug | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scramble
posted Hide Post
Not sure I can help you understand it, per se. But what I got from it was a look at bad gothic fantasy as if it were serious and realistic look at the goings-on of another world. A cute little story, though I can't say it was one of my favorites from that collection.

Swing it, Brother, Swing.

Posts: 96 | Location: Below my hair | Registered: June 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Goofy Beast
Picture of Thirith & His Enormous Tibia
posted Hide Post
It was entirely too cute for my tastes - it felt like a neat idea that didn't really contain enough meat to make it more than a joke drawn out slightly too long.

Posts: 10887 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Along those same lines, Thirith -I thought it was fun, but for something like a skecth or something.

What I did like, though, was the bit at the end (the 'fiction' part), felt a lot like some of Neil's stuff that I love, because it was in every way very ordinary and plain, yet it hinted at some deeply disturbing (because it's so real) stuff.

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lady Blue
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a great story, although i also like really bad si-fi movies(check outSaun of the Dead! It made me think of how ridiculus it is to try and force your writing to be a certain way. So many people are too uptight about what they read, and probably should spend more time curled up the the rediculously bad.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
E.A. Poe

Posts: 5 | Location: Hiding under the table | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adanarama
posted Hide Post
It's a flip-flop. Reality has traded places. It's a common situation put in a new context.

It is night, and the silhouette branches of the apple tree
reach up to steal the silver-dollar moon. It is day, and the roaring sun
beats time behind the graying clouds of noon...
"...zombies only want you for your brains." - Jennie Breeden
"It's not a lie. Call it an imaginative look at reality." - Mike Redford Green (from the comic CRFH)

Posts: 40 | Location: Wine Country (hic) | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would have liked it more if the writing for the reality part of the story were toned down so that it wasn't so Gothic Pastiche.

It's like loitering, but mean. -- Jon Stewart on lurking

Posts: 141 | Location: "east williamsburg" | Registered: August 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
Edgar Allen Poe

cause and effect:
the best often die by their own hand just to get away, and those left behind can never quite understand why anybody
would ever want to get away
from them.
Charles Bukowski Septuagenarian Stew

Posts: 243 | Location: lies to the east of Eden | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lurkergrrl:
I think I would have liked it more if the writing for the reality part of the story were toned down so that it wasn't so Gothic Pastiche.

But that was rather the point of the story.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eardstapa:
quote:
Originally posted by lurkergrrl:

But that was rather the point of the story.

Agreed. The over the top nature of the gothic reality is what makes this story. As to the OP's question, essentially Neil has a done a bit of a switcheroo where the worlds of horror and fantasy obviously associated with fiction is in fact the reality, the non-fiction, and one which the protaganist is bored writing about. He is actually quite excited about the notion of writing non-fiction which is of course OUR reality and one that WE would conversly find quite mundane.

I dont know if any of that makes sense, i may have overcomplicated the scenario a little...

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post