Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    october in the chair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

october in the chair
 Login/Join

Picture of spacecowboy1238
posted
can anyone tell me how to go baout getting permission of copyrights for Gaiman's Story "October in the Chair" I have written a screenplay from it and his literary agent is being "difficult". I just want it to be seen by someone in Mr. Gaimons "click". and say hey this is great or nice and offer to do something with it. HELP! oh and by the way is it true that "the High Cost of Living" is being released the summer of 08 as a movie?

The Gods Have Secret Entrances

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of Smaug
posted Hide Post
sorry spacecowboy, it looks like your actually going the right way already. the faq agrees with the literary agent method

~
I prefer to live in a country that's small, and old, and where no one would ever have the NERVE to wear a cape in public, whether they could leap tall buildings in a single bound or not.

the parrot... ...gets tiresome.
the parrot... ...i ate him.

CHIKKINZ?

Posts: 20596 | Location: England | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of endless_nights
posted Hide Post
That stoy would make a great screenplay--sorry about the reject.
And yeah, the first Death graphic novel will be a movie soon--I can't wait!

*...Listening to the Chambers of your Heart...*

Posts: 53 | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Natthorne
posted Hide Post
I would love to see October in The Chair acted out. I really love Dearly and I wish I knew what happened next... October really should have finished the story...

But if he won't will Neil? If he's not too busy?

see ya!

Posts: 1 | Location: New York | Registered: October 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of albie
posted Hide Post
Isn't THE GRAVEYARD BOOK a more extensive variation on the story?

Personally I prefer Runt's end to remain a mystery.

Posts: 10 | Location: Hull england | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spacecowboy1238
posted Hide Post
actually Runts destiny is still unanswered in my screenplay. I am not a hollywood type that has happy endings all the time. the sp is finnished and still I cannot get info on how to get it to the proper people for permission to shoot. thinking about shooting it gorilla style then submitting it then. what do you all think?

The Gods Have Secret Entrances

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
*102 gold stars*
Picture of Cavenagh
posted Hide Post
The proper people is the Literary Agent.

Shooting it and then submitting it is a pretty well guaranteed means to provoke lawyers into action. You do not have the rights to shoot it or to adapt it. You will have no legal way of distributing it or showing it in public. You would not really have a means to raise money or get a producer.

And it isn't permission you seek, but to obtain the rights to the piece to adapt and shoot it.

And if you shoot it and then present it, you will get lawyered and have to buy those rights. Plus costs.

Of course, a student film might have different requirements. But a persons creative output is not there to be adapted will-nilly by anyone who fancies their chances with it.

If Neil's agent has said no, then that is the answer. If you cannot afford to buy the rights, then frankly any film you shoot will be expensive and worthless as you would not get to show the film.

I don't mean to be so negative, but this is how things stand. Without the rights, there is no film to make.

And the chances are someone already owns those rights.

Hermits have no peer pressure

Posts: 8095 | Registered: April 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post