Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to know
 Login/Join

posted
Regarding NG's short story: The facts in the Case of the Disappearance of Miss Finch. Were the friends that he visited the circus with based on the British broadcaster and his wife - Jonathan Ross and Jane Goldman?

Posts: 1 | Registered: December 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Crowmaster
posted Hide Post
haha
i know what you mean..and have you noticed that jonathon ross mentions neil whenever he gets the chance?
like he had terry pratchett with him on the wireless today..
rossy's 2nd question is like..'so have you heard form our friend neil gaiman recently?'
lol what a kiss arse!

Posts: 97 | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Melittosphex sapiens
Picture of Hive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ymerej:
Regarding NG's short story: The facts in the Case of the Disappearance of Miss Finch. Were the friends that he visited the circus with based on the British broadcaster and his wife - Jonathan Ross and Jane Goldman?

I had rather assumed this - I don't see how it could be anyone else!

"bring on the be-tentacled oppressors" - fluffyllama

Posts: 15843 | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
Yes. John and Jane are indeed, Johnathan Ross and Jane Goldman. In Neil's acknowledgements page at the back of Anansi - he mentions that he wrote part of the novel in Tori's spare house in Ireland and some more in John and Jane's spare home in Florida. Jonathan Ross is a graphic novel fanatic, among other things, but, going purely on a hunch and her surname, I reckon it was his wife who first knew Neil. I'm sure there are other clues in the story. Haven't read it for a while but I do know, living in Belfast - more or less - that there was such a Circus of the Macabre, or whatever, as that descibed in the text - its 'performers' appeared on Channel 4 television a few times.

cause and effect:
the best often die by their own hand just to get away, and those left behind can never quite understand why anybody
would ever want to get away
from them.
Charles Bukowski Septuagenarian Stew

Posts: 243 | Location: lies to the east of Eden | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
MORE:
"Jane is, by profession, a journalist, but had become a bestselling author almost by accident. She had written a companion volume to accompany a television series about two paranormal investigators, which had risen to the top of the bestseller lists and stayed there.
Jonathan had originally become famous hosting an evening talk show, and had since parlayed his gonzo charm into a variety of fields. He's the same person whether the camera is on or off, which is not always true of television folk." (pp145 - Review 2005 edition of Smoke and Mirrors).
So: Jane's book was about the X Files and, as far as I'm aware, Neil started out as a journalist, so that could well be how they met. Jonathan still hosts 'Friday Night with Jonathan Ross' on BBC1, as well as Film 2007, various award ceremonies and - not being much of a tv fan myself - whatever else he can get his fingers - or other parts of his anatomy - into.

cause and effect:
the best often die by their own hand just to get away, and those left behind can never quite understand why anybody
would ever want to get away
from them.
Charles Bukowski Septuagenarian Stew

Posts: 243 | Location: lies to the east of Eden | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post