Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    The Zora Neale Hurston essay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Zora Neale Hurston essay
 Login/Join

posted
In one of the stories ("Going Wodwo", unless I am mistaken), Gaiman mentions a Zora Neale Hurston essay about little girls that went from door to door selling coffee in Haiti--the rumors being that they were zombies under the control of an old woman.

I'm wondering whether anyone has heard of this essay, and knows its name. As an anthropological auto-didact, I'm really interested in reading it--but none of my searches have so far paid off.

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Could you check in about what books of hers you have already checked? I'm not going to spend time duplicating your efforts. For example, have you read her 1938 Tell My Horse: Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica? 1935's Mules and Men? 1931's Hoodoo in America?

Where did you research? What country are you in? Did you use the electronic databases in your local library (or university library if you are in school)? She was published in The Journal of American Folklore so that's a good place to start with a librarian and a good periodical index.

There's a more recent collection of her essays (1995) titled Folklore, Memoirs, & Other Writings: Mules and Men, Tell My Horse, Dust Tracks on a Road , edited by Cheryl A. Wall. Any luck with that one?

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus:
In one of the stories ("Going Wodwo", unless I am mistaken),
You are mistaken. Going Wodwo is a poem, the story is Bitter Grounds.

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post