Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    Er, Anyone Else Heard of This: The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Er, Anyone Else Heard of This: The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch?
 Login/Join

Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted
I stumbled onto this browsing amazon this morning:

The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch.

Neil Gaiman and Michael Zulli. How did I miss this? Look pretty.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Raven
posted Hide Post
Heard of it, yes, but not read it. I've done the same thing; browsed Neil Gaiman on amazon or bestwebbuys. It's amazing the number of things he's written or at least contributed to that i've never heard of.

-----------------------------

Great vampires never die, they just fade away.

Posts: 74 | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
none more black
Picture of mudpuppy
posted Hide Post
I also saw it on Amazon when I was looking for Blueberry Girl.

Posts: 4915 | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The_Raven:
Heard of it, yes, but not read it. I've done the same thing; browsed Neil Gaiman on amazon or bestwebbuys. It's amazing the number of things he's written or at least contributed to that i've never heard of.

Yeah, no joke. The man seems to have his fingers in about a dozen different pies all at once. Which is quite an accomplishment since I think he only has 10 fingers Big Grin

What's Blueberry Girl, L-Bell?

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
none more black
Picture of mudpuppy
posted Hide Post
Blueberry Girl is a poem Neil he wrote for a friends daughter before she was born that was in the works to be made into a book.

I'm interested because I'm about to read a childrens book from the 1940's called Strawberry Girl.

Posts: 4915 | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L-Bell:
Blueberry Girl is a poem Neil he wrote for a friends daughter before she was born that was in the works to be made into a book.

Friend = Tori Amos.

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resting by the shade of the tumtum tree, yahr!
Picture of Moon Jester
posted Hide Post
Hm, I heard this story on one of my Gaiman CDs. Now I don't remember which CD it was... I think it's on Warning: Contains Languange...

-----~~-----
Cthulhu for president~Why vote for the lesser evil?

Posts: 9600 | Location: I was hoping you could tell me | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
It's available here :

The Facts In The Case Of The Departure Of Miss Finch

* Frank Frazetta Illustrated #3
* Smoke And Mirrors (UK Editions)
* Speaking In Tongues
* Tales Of The Unanticipated #20
* Tropicon XVII Book

Courtesy of GMZoe's Gaiman Visual Bibliography

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L-Bell:

I'm interested because I'm about to read a childrens book from the 1940's called Strawberry Girl.

I heard Mr. Gaiman read the poem in October of 2000, on stage in Chicago's Vic Theater on the Last Angel Tour.

He said, at the time, that he wrote it for Tori's unborn baby, whom Tori had named the Blueberry Girl. Mr. Gaiman stated that it was a private poem, but he was so touched by us, the audience that he would share it... under the condition that we would not let it leave the room.

I'd tried later to obtain a recording from one of the busy little bees no doubt getting everything down on tape, but all honored Mr. Gaiman's wish that the poem not be released.

I can barely remember the echo of the words, given I've some sort of progressively worsening memory, but the poem was a lovely prayer for the good life of the Blueberry Girl. Keep her safe from unhappy first marriages, I recall him saying...

I'd tried to obtain the poem to pass on to a woman I'd loved and lost, to use Gaiman's words, so superior to my own sad efforts, to wish her nothing but a good life.

And she called me the Brave Little Mousie when I told her my name was

-Catbeller

By courtesy, or not (sometimes) so , of the brave little mousey.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
fyi :

quote:
Which reminds me -- we announced at Fiddler's Green that Charles Vess is going to be painting Blueberry Girl, a poem written for my goddaughter before she was born; and that Harper Collins will publish it, and that part of the profits will be going to RAINN. I'll let people know more news about that poem as I get it.

here

...someday.

Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
...Miss Finch was originally published as a short story in Angels and Visitations, then Smoke and Mirrors. Btw Jonathon and Jane are British tv presenter Jonathon Ross and his wife, Jane Goldman - who worked on the screenplay of Beowulf with Mr Gaiman, as well as writing an X-Files tie-in back in the 90s. The wierd circus really was in operation in London back then - I recall that they appeared on Channel 4 - but no sabre-tooth tigers were in evidence. It's another of Mr Gaiman's stories that is semi-autobiographical in content.

cause and effect:
the best often die by their own hand just to get away, and those left behind can never quite understand why anybody
would ever want to get away
from them.
Charles Bukowski Septuagenarian Stew

Posts: 243 | Location: lies to the east of Eden | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are such a wealth of knowledge Sammael!! I thought it was them last time i read the story!! It's Jane's hair (as described) and Jonathon too....I thought it was just my imagination! lol

Posts: 12 | Registered: March 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a pretty much endless (no pun intended) wealth of often useless, sometimes wildly incorrect information, that pretty much sums me up - either that or hard drinking, wild eyed, crazy haired Irishman, depending, of course, who's looking.

cause and effect:
the best often die by their own hand just to get away, and those left behind can never quite understand why anybody
from them.

Posts: 243 | Location: lies to the east of Eden | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poisoner of Chonae
Picture of sammael
posted Hide Post
PS for example, it was Stardust, not Beowulf that Jane Goldman wrote the screenplay for, which I should have remembered because Jonathon Ross plugged it shamelessly for that very reason both on his Friday night chat show - while interviewing Michelle Pfeiffer and Film 2008, which he hosts. Duh.

cause and effect:
from them.

Picture of fhionn
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants a copy of Miss Finch, I have about 6 books left signed by Michael (Zulli). Just let me know as I'm clearing out my old storage building (a great old hotel that I'm really gonna miss) and need to make more room here in my home office. Book rate postage + $12.00. kprattsmith@aol.com.
Cheers All -
Fhionn Smile

Posts: 182 | Location: middle of nowhere, man. | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
hey fhionn, I tried to reach you via that address and it got bounced back.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24398 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fhionn
posted Hide Post
Hi BeeZee ! Nah, it didn't bounce as I received it this morning. Likely some weird aol spoof/goof. Hard to believe that I've had an account with them going on 13 years now...sheesh! The myspace address was wrong in another post. I still don't know my url there though my user name is fhionn. Hope life is treating you well Smile
Fhi

Posts: 182 | Location: middle of nowhere, man. | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post