Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    perceptions of colours in the story a study in emerald
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

perceptions of colours in the story a study in emerald
 Login/Join

posted
to whom it may concern

I have read Frangile Things. I have found the short story a Study in Emerlad interesting because of the metaphor of colours gaiman has been using . And i've been reading many books about cognitive linguistic analysis on the metaphor of colours in the western socity.
I have several questions regarding the representation of colour in your stories.
did the author entiteld the story A Study in Emerald,in this way because he wanted to give a particular meaning to this colour?
Does the colour emerald in your tale represent some kind of hope? I noticed since Franz Drago has been killed, does the colour of emerald connect with the hope of a political scenery?

i hope somebody is going to answer

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
speaks Sanskrit in three different languages
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
I think you are taking the symbolism of colors a little too far in regard to "A Study in Emerald," Franz. This short story is primarily an homage to the character Sherlock Holmes and the writer H.P. Lovecraft. In Western society the color green can represent a number of things(life, rebirth, spring, etc.) Gaiman only describes colors 3-4 times in the story, and I think he does it to show the otherworldliness of the universe he's created. For instance, the green ichor flowing from the body shows that this victim is not human. The crimson moon shows that this is a different reality from the one in which we live. The Queen is a creature straight out of Lovecraft. I don't believe there are any political statements here. It's just a gifted writer having fun and paying tribute to those who inspired him.

------------------------------
"I lost some time once; it's always in the last place you look for it."--Delirium

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for Neil, Franz. And he doesn't reply to these forums. Look at the FAQ's on how to write to him directly. My interpretation still remains that there is nothing political about this story.

"I lost some time once; it's always in the last place you look for it."--Delirium

Picture of MichaelJOwens
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for color symbolism in stories, you might want to check out Edgar Allen Poe's "Masque of the Red Death." I haven't heard or read a satisfactory explanation for the colors of the different rooms in the castle, but then again, maybe there isn't one.

posted Hide Post
Would it be pointless to note that the title is a play on words alluding to the Sherlock Holmes story A Study in Scarlet?

Yes, it probably would.

Posts: 116 | Registered: February 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all, brand new to the forum. My impression of the green colour in this story is that green is a colour we associate with both aliens and, i suppose, bugs as well.

Thats my interpretation anyway. I agree with the poster above though in that interpreting the colours is probably reading too much into it.

Posts: 4 | Registered: November 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post