Find
Notify
Tools

Fragile Things
 Login/Join

working on his degree in brapping
Picture of Cobalt
posted
Fragile Things arrived today! Amazon is prompt. it also came with Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewsky.

i'm not going to be able to read it until i finish the books i'm currently reading (Swann's Way and After The Quake) but i wanted to start this discussion anyway!

WARNING: the preceding message is not to be taken personally. Keep away from children.

Inactivist of the Radical Status Quo

Posts: 6516 | Location: The Diaspora | Registered: January 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Elah Adonijai
Picture of The Scoundrel
posted Hide Post
Fragile Things AND Only Revolutions?

*is jealous of Cobalt's amazon order*

That's fast for Amazon, isn't it? I thought it hit stores on Tuesday?

Posts: 2179 | Location: Hiding in the secret compartments of Whittier, CA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
working on his degree in brapping
Picture of Cobalt
posted Hide Post
Amazon IS fast! last time, i got Anansi Boys (and Shalimar and Clown) a week before the actual release date!

WARNING: the preceding message is not to be taken personally. Keep away from children.

Inactivist of the Radical Status Quo

Posts: 6516 | Location: The Diaspora | Registered: January 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only sounds like Keith Flint
Picture of Rob!
posted Hide Post
so now that people have had proper time to read the book, are we going to ask which is their favorite and least favorite story? I've got 3 more to read, but I'm curious.

Posts: 2193 | Location: LA... sort of. | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has no knowledge of the Munich Incident, so stop asking
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
My favourite is the Problem of Susan, partly because that was the one thing that's alway irriated me about the Chronicles of Narnia too. My least favourite is probably the Sunbird, I felt that even from the start it was too obvious where the story was going.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
What a coincidence, that's exactly what I would say so far. None of the stories impressed me more than The Problem of Susan and for some reason Sunbird didn't do it for me.

But I didn't finish the book yet.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chimeer
posted Hide Post
I know it's kind of pathetic to reply to your own post, but I just finished Fragile Things and I have some things to add.

My favorite/least favorites remain the same. But reading the introduction (if I ever read introductions, it's always after I finish the book) and found out why I like Sunbird less than the others. In his own words, this was a sort of attempt on his part to do a Laferty short story. I guess I would not like Laferty as much as Neil were I to read him. Or maybe I would, and to each author his own style. Gaiman's stories work best when they don't try to be someone else's.

I find it cute how he kind of appologizes in the introduction for the sex parts in How Do You Think It Feels?...

I agree with Cloverheart about some of these stories giving the impression that they are unfinished or incomplete (post in a different thread). But if you read them altogether they seem like a continuous stream that makes each of them better than on its own.

Posts: 341 | Location: Indiana, US | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
I'm also inclined to agree with Cloverheart, particularly as I read the book in relatively small chunks. Then again, I did that with Smoke and Mirrors and I love nearly everythimg in that. I've not read any Lafferty, but I agree the Sunbird seems...stilted is probably the word I would use.

Posts: 5864 | Location: The Cast Iron Shore | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suite Madame Blue
posted Hide Post
I kept wanting to MST Sunbird as I read it. "Stilted" fits as a description. Like he was trying too hard to make it go a certain way.

I enjoyed The Problem of Susan. Like Waspfearer, I never liked Susan's noninclusion in The Final Battle. C. S. Lewis just wrote her off as shallow, like he needed to sacrifice someone for instructional purposes.

PLOT SPOILERS AHEAD

Gaiman made a good point, that someone had to identify the bodies after the wreck. I'd like to think that Susan finally went "further up and further in," and reunited with the rest of her family.

The Witch/Lion slash was just wrong, IMO, although it was well-written.

END SPOILERS

I also really enjoyed the Shadow novella. We finally get the guy's real name!

Member of the Spider Liberation Front (Free free, set them free)

Posts: 619 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Companion to owls
Picture of cloverheart
posted Hide Post
Madame Blue, you might want to check the American Gods forums, there's lengthy discussions about Shadow. There's a thread called 'Shadow's real name' or something like that where that question was extensively researche dby posters (as well as discussion on loads of other things).

I hated the novella, though. Hated. I thought it had no point, it didn't made me know anything about Shadow's character, I didn't see any evolution in him from American Gods... I don't know. I might read it again once I finish re-reading American Gods (which I'm enjoying much more I thought I would, btw).

Posts: 11802 | Location: home? | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suite Madame Blue
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cloverheart, I'll look for the thread.

I just enjoyed the novella as a story. Yes, some parts were obvious, but it was brain candy for me.

Member of the Spider Liberation Front (Free free, set them free)

Posts: 619 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are there any differences between the us edition and the uk?

"What is this thing, anyway?" said the Dean, inspecting the implement in his hands. "It's called a shovel," said the Senior Wrangler. "I've seen the gardeners use them. You stick the sharp end in the ground. Then it gets a bit technical."

Posts: 13 | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Yes. The US edition has 3 (?) extra stories that were orginally in the
UK (but not the US) version of Smoke and Mirrors. Hope this helps. Smile

posted Hide Post
so if i have the u.s edition of "Smoke and Mirrors" i should get the u.s edition of "Fragile things" as well right?

"What is this thing, anyway?" said the Dean, inspecting the implement in his hands. "It's called a shovel," said the Senior Wrangler. "I've seen the gardeners use them. You stick the sharp end in the ground. Then it gets a bit technical."

Posts: 13 | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's right. Smile

is irreducibly complex
Picture of Weeble
posted Hide Post
Um, er, please don't flame me, I am a newbie, a raw newbie.

But I wanted to share that Fragile Things is in NYT Book Review tomorrow,NYTBR 11/5/06 link

with a neato-keen illustration by Yuko Shimizu.

~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~ . . ~
Weeble: Vibrant and bouncy, like something one would find valiantly trying to escape from a Disney geneticist's specimen freezer. - Pelham Bleatwell, Esq.

Posts: 10991 | Location: *rattling the bars of my cage* | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wayfarer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Weeble, and welcome to the board. I'm relatively new here myself, but I think you only get flamed in Flame Wars. Welcome parties and miscellaneous conversations tend to be held in World's End, though there's a lot of posters game-playing at the moment.

Best friend of the Werewolf of London, awoooooooo
Picture of Loopy De Loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weeble:

Mmm... raw... I mean, yeah, welcome to the boards! Please, feel free to step inside my mouth visit the World's End, where a lot of the action takes place.

*prepares Tabasco sauce, sharpens teeth*

Posts: 88 | Location: Gameplayer | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aufero vestri dmno manuum a meus antenna
Picture of aitapata
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loopy De Loop:
quote:
Originally posted by Weeble:

Mmm... raw... I mean, yeah, welcome to the boards! Please, feel free to step inside my mouth visit the World's End, where a lot of the action takes place.

*prepares Tabasco sauce, sharpens teeth*

Eeeentersting. Only about 5 of the current gameplayers step outside of WE proper.

*takes notes*

Posts: 37699 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: December 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Best friend of the Werewolf of London, awoooooooo
Picture of Loopy De Loop
posted Hide Post
So that means you're quite alone out here... *grins* Are you afraid of big, bad wolves?

Posts: 88 | Location: Gameplayer | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post