Neil Gaiman    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com    www.NeilgaimanBoard.com  Hop To Forum Categories  Neil's Other Works  Hop To Forums  Fragile Things    "...a stinking mass of foeter..." Forbidden brides...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"...a stinking mass of foeter..." Forbidden brides...
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everybody!
I'm translating Forbidden Brides... into italian, but I really can't grasp the meaning of a word, "foeter". Can anybody explain me its meaning? It's used to describe what remains of the old man after he... well, dies again, I guess, in the story written by the young writer.
Thank you in advance! Smile

Posts: 4 | Registered: March 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has no front teeth
Picture of BeeZee
posted Hide Post
It usually means a smelly, decaying mass.

shooting moonbeams out of her a(censored)e.
~Joe

Posts: 24398 | Location: With my weird little family | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I thought it must have been something like that, but I just couldn't find the word "foeter" anywhere! Isn't it common in english or what? or maybe is it from latin? or did he just make it up? Confused

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
it took some research but i found it for you april it appears that its a spelling mistake that was never caught...the word is actually foetor not foeter (my copy has the same spelling as yours does)...it is in fact an english word and the definition can be found here
if you ask me the way it's used in the story is a little redundant but whatever

hope that helped

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! Big Grin Thank you very much for the help! But where did you find that it was a spelling mistake? Wink

Picture of that scott guy
posted Hide Post
no problem, glad i could help

i checked my copy of the book to see if i had the same spelling as you did at first and i did, so then i typed the word in google translate and had it detect the language...it said it was english so i tried wikipedia and nothing came up so i tried dictionary.com, it said that there was no listing for the word but it gave suggestions of what i may have meant to type and one of those suggestions was foetor, so i checked that because it was the closest spelling and there it was Big Grin

-not back with a vengeance, more like a dull thud followed by a scared wave-

Posts: 1630 | Location: further south than you'd assume, ON, Canada | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post